Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 04:21 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The music is obviously a symptom...of what, I really don't know.

Dropped the genre? The stuff that predated the rise of Gucci Mane didn't go anywhere. So if you left the genre based on that, you weren't a head to begin with.
I said officially.

Unofficially I was done in like... 95.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 04:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
I strongly dislike it when people lump all blacks into one category. I think rappers (or thugs) are glorified by low income people, who can relate to the rapper/thug. White collar professionals do not relate with such lifestyles, nor do most aspire to be like a gucci mane or whatever his name is.
The guy saw a Gucci Mane video or heard one of his songs...didn't like it or was obviously offended, and decides to write a thesis about its application to African Americans overall.

It's all bullsh*t, but I guess he figures that it sounds good. Of course, some whites will generally believe any tripe that comports with views that they already have...so it'll get traction here regardless of how nonsensical it is.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I said officially.

Unofficially I was done in like... 95.
LMAO....yeah, right in the middle of the "Golden Era" when nearly everyone that follows the music acknowledges that it was generally the best period in the music's history. Astounding how many incredible hip hop albums came out within 3 years of 95.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:34 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,204,188 times
Cocaine came before the hip hop.,

Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times
Quote:
LMAO....yeah, right in the middle of the "Golden Era" when nearly everyone that follows the music acknowledges that it was generally the best period in the music's history. Astounding how many incredible hip hop albums came out within 3 years of 95.
94 man, 94. T'was a magical time.

Then crap almost overnight. And I maintain that it doubled down about 5 years ago.

When a guy can make a hit by performing a rendition of a collection of noises you would probably hear at your local zoo with the bass turned up a bit, I can't do it.

Quote:
The guy saw a Gucci Mane video or heard one of his songs...didn't like it or was obviously offended, and decides to write a thesis about its application to African Americans overall.
Well sorry to break the bad news, but it is wildly popular with the younger "inner city" crowd as was specifically referenced in the OP. This is indisputable fact.

Broadening this generalization beyond recognition equals strawman. And a flat out dismissal of any statistically valid argument because it doesn't hold true 100.00% of the time is not a solid rebuttal.

The simple fact of the matter is that yes, the younger "inner city" crowd, which like it or not is more criminally inclined than the general population, represents a large demographic of listeners.

And statistics aside, common sense dictates that music about shooting *****es in the face and what not would be popular among said crowd and even encourage them to some degree.

Then again, it wasn't that much better in 94, but that's beside the point.

Not that I buy it being any type of primary cause or even close. At best, it's a very minor contributor. And cyclical as well.

Note that this **** is a big hit with other demographics as well like say... middle class white kids. In such a case it is a symptom of the same cause to a lesser degree. One at a level capable of pushing the popularity of crappy music, but not at a level in which it results in a significant increase in actual crime. Which counters the theory that it in itself is a substantial cause.

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times
Maybe it wasn't clear enough in original my post that I'm African-American myself. Honestly, I haven't seen a inner-city African-American community before that's doing well, of course I've seen prosperous black neighborhoods in suburbs (ie parts of Prince George County, MD has prosperous areas that are predominantly African-American). I mean of course dire situations surround these youth as well, but the music plays a role in the situation as well. It's the musician and the music that can have people ready to kill. If one already sees their older-brother selling cocaine, they may want to slang it as well. But when music comes in the picture, it can influence something greater than just selling cocaine.

Say Gucci Mane is their idol and they listen to everything he says, he may have that particular person ready to kill. That's all I'm saying. But if you want to call a African-American a racist then it's fine, I just won't criticize my community anymore.

Quote:

It's all bullsh*t, but I guess he figures that it sounds good. Of course, some whites will generally believe any tripe that comports with views that they already have...so it'll get traction here regardless of how nonsensical it is.
I listen to Gucci Mane while I drive, I own like five of his mix tapes. You can't say I don't know about him, plenty of my classmates listen to him as well some of them did as I did and listened moderately while some aspired to be him. I only thought about it this today because he can enlighten a flame in ones body, just as heavy rock may make one who likes that music want to have a mosh pit or something. I'm not trying to put out Gucci Mane specifically, other rappers do it as well but his record is just more pronounced in comparison to others, am I not correct? Unless you are saying famous people don't influence society at all, what you're saying isnt making any sense in my eyes.

Last edited by BMORE; 01-16-2013 at 05:02 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Cocaine came before the hip hop.,
Cocaine predates rock & roll too...blacks invented that also. That isn't saying anything.

Black on black crime exists for a million reasons having not a goddamn thing to do with music. People are oversimplifying complex issues with these left field theories.

The only people that know why some blacks do what they do are the perps themselves. If you want real answers, ask them.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:55 PM

49 posts, read 65,234 times
[quote=BMOREBOY;27797695]One word: music. quote]

Yep. Those who own and control the music industry sure do have a lot to account for. And so do the powers that be in Hollywood, too. But I suppose it's easier to go after the menacing, swearing thug looking rapper, so let's do that instead. Just like we go after the nickel and dime pusher instead of the drug kingpin.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
94 man, 94. T'was a magical time.

Then crap almost overnight. And I maintain that it doubled down about 5 years ago.

When a guy can make a hit by performing a rendition of a collection of noises you would probably hear at your local zoo with the bass turned up a bit, I can't do it.

Well sorry to break the bad news, but it is wildly popular with the younger "inner city" crowd as was specifically referenced in the OP. This is indisputable fact.

Broadening this generalization beyond recognition equals strawman. And a flat out dismissal of any statistically valid argument because it doesn't hold true 100.00% of the time is not a solid rebuttal.

The simple fact of the matter is that yes, the younger "inner city" crowd, which like it or not is more criminally inclined than the general population, represents a large demographic of listeners.

And statistics aside, common sense dictates that music about shooting *****es in the face and what not would be popular among said crowd and even encourage them to some degree.

Then again, it wasn't that much better in 94, but that's beside the point.

Not that I buy it being any type of primary cause or even close. At best, it's a very minor contributor. And cyclical as well.

Note that this **** is a big hit with other demographics as well like say... middle class white kids. In such a case it is a symptom of the same cause to a lesser degree. One at a level capable of pushing the popularity of crappy music, but not at a level in which it results in a significant increase in actual crime. Which counters the theory that it in itself is a substantial cause.
Saying that Gucci Mane is popular in the '"inner city" isn't saying anything except to say that he's popular. So what? And?

If Gucci had never been born, everything would still be the same. That void could easily be filled by ignorant ass movies or whatever. Gucci and the likes of him are a tick on an elephants ass in the grand scheme.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:59 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Yeah. Or the music is a symptom and not a cause. If Gucci Mane is what people want then that's what they get.

When that crap started to come out I officially dropped the genre.

That's just what I was thinking.
I think it's a symptom of greater problems also. A lot of things are destroying our culture today, music and videos that glorify criminals, denigrate women, disrespect law enforcement, promote drug use, promote single mothers and baby momma making ass****, promote violence. And then along come the political/race hustlers like Jessie Jackson who tell everyone that nothing is your fault, and anything that is bad in your life is someone elses fault because they are repressing you, you were born a victim, will always be a victim, and there is nothing you can do to change your life for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies