Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 11:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Geee! Who pooped in your cereal? LOL

I'm suggesting that IF the real problem with people getting food stamps is the so-called "Welfare Queens" having more and more babies, why not be practical about it and provide them with birth control pills along WITH the food stamp money? Make it easy, really easy.
Or better yet -- tubal ligations. That is something that actually would work.

6 weeks welfare for "maternity leave" then the option of getting off welfare handouts or the surgery and stay on them.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:35 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:

Btw, is your name old_cold? My response about sex was specifically to his/her post. Interesting that you took it so personally, Tassy. Did you think I was asking you if you were 105 years old or did you forget who you are?

Actually, your response to me was about a classified ad, not sex.
Maybe you confuse sex with work ?
You're rambling so much you're confusing yourself.
If somebody shows just how available birth control is, you going to dismiss the post because it is from the 'wrong' person?

Old 11-05-2013, 11:41 AM

872 posts, read 827,520 times
Quote:
Geee! Who pooped in your cereal? LOL

I'm suggesting that IF the real problem with people getting food stamps is the so-called "Welfare Queens" having more and more babies, why not be practical about it and provide them with birth control pills along WITH the food stamp money? Make it easy, really easy. It may be difficult for most of these women to get to planned parenthood, but they could pick up their cost-free birth control pills from grocery stores who also have pharmacies. Btw, I don't believe that public assistance is going MOSTLY to minority women who have lots of children without a husband, that old Reagan stereotype of Welfare Queen.. Also, what's your PROBLEM with feeding CHILDREN? They have no control over who their parents are, and like all human beings, they must eat in order to stay alive. You are aware that the welfare program was changed in 1996, aren't you? That was AFTER Reagan was President.

NOBODY is SPOON-FEEDING anybody. The amount of money provided to people receiving food stamps is for food, and with the price of food these days, $200 per month per person does not go very far. I don't think people in Florida even get $200 per month per person. Your Tea party governor Rick Scott is totally determined to kill off all the poor people in this state.

Btw, is your name old_cold? My response about sex was specifically to his/her post. Interesting that you took it so personally, Tassy. Did you think I was asking you if you were 105 years old or did you forget who you are?

FYI;

The economy is picking up in some parts of the country, but that hasn't translated into any new serious efforts to help those suffering the most hardship. In fact, for those on the lowest rung of the economic ladder, life may be getting even harder. A new report from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP) looks at cash benefits provided under the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program, commonly known as "welfare." It finds that the value of monthly cash benefits that make up the fragile safety net for the poorest families with children has continued to decline steadily since the program was "reformed" in 1996.
Back then, benefits weren't exactly generous, but they did manage to keep a whole lot of kids out of really deep poverty. Today, those benefits are almost nonexistent.

CHART: Welfare Reform Is Leaving More In Deep Poverty | Mother Jones
Really??? You read only what you want and forget what you post? And by the way, I don't live in Florida...

Originally Posted by Tassy001
I have to disagree. Condemns are available at just about any store in any state in any city. Birth control is readily available, there is no age limit to be able to buy condemns. If money is an issue, some schools will hand them out for free along with planned parenthood.

FancyFeast5000

If someone is receiving public assistance, the MONEY is indeed "an issue." So every person receiving public assistance in the form of food stamps, you believe, is a school-aged person so they can, in some cases, get condemns for free "at school"? Obviously this will come as a big surprise to you, but many women who are mothers are far past high school age and long out of high school. Additionally, the birth control pill is a much more effective means of preventing pregnancies. Why not provide women receiving food stamps birth control pills as well?

Sex is a biological DRIVE. People have sex. It's a FACT that you cannot change. Why fight it by insisting people "think" and "behave" the way YOU want them to behave? Why not provide the most practical means available to prevent pregnancies, the birth control pill, or an IUD if the person wants one? Condemns are a last resort, and they BREAK!!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:45 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
what is a condemn?

Old 11-05-2013, 01:11 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So what if they have sex then have children? That's TWO working age parents. They can WORK, including the woman. After all women have won the right to work. Having babies should not mean a life of welfare handouts period.

You breed 'em, you feed 'em.
How do you know that they don't work, but still earn so little that they qualify for food stamps? That is true for many people. PLEASE take a look at the welfare reform act of 1996 and you will LEARN that a "lifetime" of welfare assistance has been addressed. Welfare recipients NOW get LESS THAN EVER BEFORE. You're living in the past with inaccurate memories.

"People like President Bill Clinton and then-Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich claimed they'd be doing welfare recipients a favor in the 1990s when they reformed the welfare program to impose work requirements and make it more difficult for people to get benefits. The idea was that welfare recipients were just lazy and that their government checks were keeping them from working, making them dependent on the government. When the reform legislation passed, with Clinton's signature, some people in the administration quit in protest, arguing that cutting off cash assistance for poor families would push millions of children into poverty. That didn't happen, at least not right away. But funding for the TANF block grant hasn't increased since 1996, meaning that in real terms, what the country spends to help poor families in the program has fallen 30 percent overall since welfare was "reformed," and benefit levels have fallen even more in some states that cut benefits after the financial crisis started in 2007. Not surprisingly, since 1996, the number of families with children living in extreme poverty—that is, on $2 a day or less—has gone up nearly 130 percent. "

CHART: Welfare Reform Is Leaving More In Deep Poverty | Mother Jones

Old 11-05-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
what is a condemn?
You figure it out. Or is reading through a typo beyond your intellectual level?

Old 11-05-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If somebody shows just how available birth control is, you going to dismiss the post because it is from the 'wrong' person?
Sorry if my writing is too sophisticated for you to follow to the point you think I'm "rambling." I don't think that's a problem for others reading this thread.

AND you're right. I was responding to Pullmyfinger in re the sex, NOT you. However, it is perfectly clear that I was NOT posting to Tassy but she did quickly tell me that she knew enough about sex and didn't need me telling her anything.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:22 PM

872 posts, read 827,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Quote:
Sorry if my writing is too sophisticated for you to follow to the point you think I'm "rambling." I don't think that's a problem for others reading this thread.
That's the problem....you don't think.....

Old 11-05-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
That's the problem....you don't think.....
Nobody else has complained that they don't understand exactly what I'm saying. That is people who aren't looking for any excuse for a personal attack because they don't have an effective counter to the point I'm making. Btw, is that a personal attack above, "That's the problem...you don't think....."? Very close. Some people I suppose just have short attention spans and can't focus on more than one sentence or one paragraph.

ETA: You cares whether you live in Florida or not?

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 11-05-2013 at 01:53 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Or better yet -- tubal ligations. That is something that actually would work.

6 weeks welfare for "maternity leave" then the option of getting off welfare handouts or the surgery and stay on them.
That would be illegal. You cannot put people in a position where they have to choose between eating (starving to death) and permanent sterilization. Geeeezzz. Where do you get these ideas? You may have loved living in Germany prior to and during World War II, assuming you have blonde hair and blue eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies