Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 02:37 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
no. to everything you just said. it is all incorrect. I said eliminate welfare. that way, the "less fortunate" people would simply have to steal to feed their kids, or starve them. so they would either abuse them, or they'd get put behind bars for stealing. ironic that you can't see the irony in simply marching into the home of a "fortunate" person, taking from them, and giving it to the "less fortunate" by nature of force. I was very "fortunate" that I didn't spend my 20's smoking weed and running up credit card debt. guess I'm just "lucky."
Is there no limit to your bitterness and hatred, especially your hatred of the poor? Have you had to work so hard and endure so much hardship in order to have whatever it is you have, that you now do not have one tiny shred of compassion left in your soulless body? I would not trade places with you if you had half of all the money in the world. Seems that there is something very essential and very human missing in your posts.

Sounds as if you are bitter than you didn't have time to have any fun when you were in your 20s. Maybe it was just because no one wanted to hang out with you. Who knows? It seems the scar tissue is enormously thick when you want children to starve in order to punish the parents.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:41 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,754,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Is there no limit to your bitterness and hatred, especially your hatred of the poor? Have you had to work so hard and endure so much hardship in order to have whatever it is you have, that you now do not have one tiny shred of compassion left in your soulless body? I would not trade places with you if you had half of all the money in the world. Seems that there is something very essential and very human missing in your posts.

Sounds as if you are bitter than you didn't have time to have any fun when you were in your 20s. Maybe it was just because no one wanted to hang out with you. Who knows? It seems the scar tissue is enormously thick when you want children to starve in order to punish the parents.
I had a blast in my 20's. did everything I wanted to do at that age. no bitterness or hatred. not sure where your concocting your ideas from. oh that's right. mother jones. I am gonna ask you an honest question, so you can provide me with your dishonest reply. how often to you volunteer?

I work harder than you ever will, for not a whole lot of money. which is why I am stingy with it when it comes to the handouts you favor with my cash. poor people wouldn't, and couldn't do my job. they'd rather just take part of my paycheck.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:46 PM

872 posts, read 828,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
ONLY if there are fish to be caught! No jobs, no work. No fish in the sea, no feeding yourself for a lifetime.

There are 3 applicants for every available job out there these days. NOT ALL 3 will be hired. This idea that people "become lazy" because they are given a tiny, tiny bit of money to keep themselves alive is just absurd.

Here's a different perspective:

The economy is picking up in some parts of the country, but that hasn't translated into any new serious efforts to help those suffering the most hardship. In fact, for those on the lowest rung of the economic ladder, life may be getting even harder. A new report from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP) looks at cash benefits provided under the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program, commonly known as "welfare." It finds that the value of monthly cash benefits that make up the fragile safety net for the poorest families with children has continued to decline steadily since the program was "reformed" in 1996.

CHART: Welfare Reform Is Leaving More In Deep Poverty | Mother Jones

Jobs ARE out there. Here are several links of where to look and what fields are growing.

Dallas doesn’t have the booming energy industry of Houston – No. 2 on the list with expected 5-year job growth of 2.6% a year – but it has a prosperous and growing financial and professional-services sector. Bank of America has large back-office operations in the Dallas area and the city is home to large law and accounting firms as well as professionals who serve the energy industry. “Those are your extremely high paying jobs,” Orrenius said, paying an average of $28 an hour.
The relatively higher wages in Dallas are what pushed it to the top of the list, but for raw growth the Austin area wins at No. 2 in the nation with an expected 5-year annual growth rate of 3.9%. (No. 1 was Honolulu, which but for recent hiccups in its job market and lackluster projected income growth would be in the Top 10 overall). Austin is sucking in high-tech jobs from more expensive California and struggling to keep up with growth in demand for houses and roads.
“The hottest place to be in Texas is Austin,” said Orrenius. “They’re just booming.”
The fastest-growing city for good jobs outside of Texas was another tech capital, Seattle, which is expected to add 136,000 jobs over the next five years. Others include Oklahoma City, prospering on the shale-fracking boom in oil and gas, and Denver, which is adding jobs in construction, professional services and mining.

Texas Dominates The Best Cities For Good Jobs - Forbes
Future looks positive for Texas, Houston job market | SER Jobs for Progress | Houston, TX
Top Growth Jobs For 2013 - Yahoo! Education
Kiplinger - Interstitial
Best Cities for Jobs 2013 | Newgeography.com

Hottest Jobs for 2013
The Latest on State-by-State Job Growth Rates
Top 30 fastest-growing jobs by 2018 - Boston.com

Old 11-05-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
That's just it, the left refuse to believe any of this. Most people do not have a problem helping those truly in need. The problems start, when the ones that are/were truly in need.....do nothing to better their situation. I have countless times been at the grocery store, in line behind someone paying with a food stamp card. Their cart will be loaded with 12 packs of sodas, bags of chips, packages of cookies etc. If and I mean IF that person was truly in need of food - this should be the last thing they buy.

So many of the left want to cry, you just want to stave children.....you have no heart....bla...bla...bla....you hate poor people. This is further from the truth. A helping hand is one thing, stealing from taxpayers is another.
And the right always uses the "truly needy" phrase to justify their greedy, selfish, soulless and heartless positions. NOBODY is stealing from taxpayers. WE ALL PAY TAXES.

I don't like that the money I pay goes to big business farmers or to military and wars, but once I pay the taxes (my contribution for the privilege of living in this country) then the MAJORITY determines what is done with that money. At this time the MAJORITY elected this President and the policy makers who consider public assistance for the least fortunate among us, important so we have these programs.

What kind of arrogance is it that makes you think that "your" tax money is being stolen when the government helps the needy to EAT? I don't complain and say my tax money is being stolen from me so our country can fight another war, or build another highway, etc., etc. When the MAJORITY of people in this country want to get rid of all welfare, all food stamps, all assistance for the poor, then they will elect politicians who will do that. At this point that's not the case. PLUS, after you pay taxes, that money is NOT YOURS ANYMORE. What percentage of the money you pay in taxes do you think goes for public assistance programs? What dollar amount is the government in lieu of poor people stealing from you? If you can figure that out, maybe those of us who can think about more than ourselves, who have believe in social responsibility, can take up a collection and give it back to you.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:53 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi Woodbury View Post
We are in the final days of our ugly empire. You can take that one to the bank!
Some people love this country and the people who live here, and others hate it. It's pretty easy to determine who are the America-haters.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Nothing says America like the federal government deliberately keeping millions of Americans in a state of complete dependence by getting them hooked on government benefits and claiming it's done as a compassionate act.

Teach a man to fish and he will eat for life. Give a man a fish, consistently villify before his eyes those that suggest he'd be better off knowing how to fish for himself and he'll vote Democrat for the rest of his life. It really is quite sickening how the federal government has, under the guise of compassion, robbed so many Americans of their desire and ability to become free thinking, independent individuals who provide for themselves.

We are in the final days of our ugly empire. You can take that one to the bank!
Actually, hopefully we are in the end days of the UGLY EMPIRE full of people who are selfish, greedy, mean-spirited, and who take all that hatred our on the poor. All that crap about teaching a man to fish and voting Democrat, is just that, crap! It's a very old right wing think tank talking point which the sheep have swallowed whole. Fortunately, it seems possible that the country is waking up to the destruction by the Tea Party and other far right extremist groups (like white supremacists, etc.) and their obstructionist tactics and how THAT is what could destroy the country, Levi.

Boy! You sure jumped in with both feet for a new member!

Old 11-05-2013, 03:00 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,628,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Everything needs to be cut or maybe you don't mind borrowing from China?
That is not really a valid argument to make. We have a lopsided desire to cut things that help people here at home while not wanting to budge an inch on big budget items that do not, such as the military budget. Why would we not exhaust all other budget cutting measures, such as cutting billions in wasteful military spending by closing some or many overseas bases before cutting funding for food for the poor? That shows how cold, hard, and selfish of a nation we are. The people in charge have what they want and need, and think anyone who is not fortunate enough is that way because they are lazy, and any benefits they get are "robbed" from the rest of us.
There is *some* fraud in our system for sure, but it is far, far lower than Republicans would want us to believe. When I was young my family was poor, we actually had to use food stamps- we were a single parent household, my mom worked her butt off to support us but it wasn't enough as she was a low wage earner and that money only goes so far with three kids. I knew then and now know families like that- none of them are scamming the system, none of them want to be in that situation. If they could get out of it they would! But it's not like it's just easy to get out of their lower wage jobs and magically acquire a high paying job. (after all, isn't that the issue with the recession we've been trying to get out of, even those of us who had skills and good jobs?)
So we go after food aid to these people and just leave them hanging, while screaming and yelling when anyone suggests any cuts to other bloated, useless sections of our budget that don't really do any good to any of us.
That is why we are known throughout the world as a cold, callous, and rather dumb nation.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
America hater? That is a term used by both the left and right as an insult. I hate the American government because they are corrupt and immoral. I hate roughly half the population because they are ignorant sheeple. To deny what I have just said about the American government and American people is to deny reality.
Well, if you hate the government and roughly half the population of this country, I think that qualifies you as a hater. Good luck going through life that way. Don't think it will get you very far.

The reality is that this thread is about food stamps. Do you have anything to say about food stamps?

Old 11-05-2013, 03:03 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
... poor people wouldn't, and couldn't do my job. they'd rather just take part of my paycheck.
Judging by the bitterness and resentment you express, it sounds to me as if you've had a disappointing life thus far. Sorry for your loss.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Jobs ARE out there. Here are several links of where to look and what fields are growing.

Dallas doesn’t have the booming energy industry of Houston – No. 2 on the list with expected 5-year job growth of 2.6% a year – but it has a prosperous and growing financial and professional-services sector. Bank of America has large back-office operations in the Dallas area and the city is home to large law and accounting firms as well as professionals who serve the energy industry. “Those are your extremely high paying jobs,” Orrenius said, paying an average of $28 an hour.
The relatively higher wages in Dallas are what pushed it to the top of the list, but for raw growth the Austin area wins at No. 2 in the nation with an expected 5-year annual growth rate of 3.9%. (No. 1 was Honolulu, which but for recent hiccups in its job market and lackluster projected income growth would be in the Top 10 overall). Austin is sucking in high-tech jobs from more expensive California and struggling to keep up with growth in demand for houses and roads.
“The hottest place to be in Texas is Austin,” said Orrenius. “They’re just booming.”
The fastest-growing city for good jobs outside of Texas was another tech capital, Seattle, which is expected to add 136,000 jobs over the next five years. Others include Oklahoma City, prospering on the shale-fracking boom in oil and gas, and Denver, which is adding jobs in construction, professional services and mining.

Texas Dominates The Best Cities For Good Jobs - Forbes
Future looks positive for Texas, Houston job market | SER Jobs for Progress | Houston, TX
Top Growth Jobs For 2013 - Yahoo! Education
Kiplinger - Interstitial
Best Cities for Jobs 2013 | Newgeography.com

Hottest Jobs for 2013
The Latest on State-by-State Job Growth Rates
Top 30 fastest-growing jobs by 2018 - Boston.com
Do you by any chance live in Texas?

So you're saying there is a job out there for everyone who wants a job, and maybe more? Is that what you're saying? I never said there were no jobs. I said there were not enough jobs for every person who wants one, and there are definitely not enough jobs which pay a living wage. Many people who QUALIFY for food stamps do in fact have jobs.

Yeah, right, these people are just lost lonely lawyers and accountants who have to survive on food stamps!!! Dear god! I work in the legal field. I know something about job availability in that area, and I know people without law degrees do not get hired to be lawyers. Do you think most of the people on food stamps have law and accounting degrees?

from you post: "Bank of America has large back-office operations in the Dallas area and the city is home to large law and accounting firms as well as professionals who serve the energy industry. “Those are your extremely high paying jobs,” Orrenius said, paying an average of $28 an hour."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies