Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Spanking Your Kids Be.....
Illegal 12 9.84%
Leagal 110 90.16%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:11 PM

397 posts, read 264,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Spanking does not equate to "abuse"

still it is a sick kind of deranged torture, parents should find more effective ways like being a better parent, or if anyone answered "Leagal" to this question who doesnt have kids, I would suggest not having kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 03:15 PM

397 posts, read 264,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4"L's" View Post
This is in a few other threads as well.

I have to say, I do not hit, spank, swat, slap, whatever-my kids. I do not have to because I have TAUGHT them to be respectful, kind, compassionate, and honest (most of the time). I don't think it is right, in fact I think it is hypocritical to hit a child to teach them how to behave. What kind of example does that set? I don't like what you are doing so I think I will just slap you. It never lasts long and the fear it causes fades away and what have they learned? More often than not the spanking does not prevent them from repeating the behavior - if it did then no one would HAVE to spank their kids more than once. Spanking a kid is just an easy way out for the parent and when done in anger, it is just a release.

I have put a lot of time and effort into my kids and have never had to raise a hand to any of them. It is just NOT necessary. Parents just need to parent children from the start.

The worst.......someone hitting their kids in public....no class at all and it only makes things escalate.

thank you, more parents should be like you, most parents nowadays are to selfish and self absorbed to really pay attention to their kids, torture and abuse is the only thing they know, their kids will either grow up to hate them or be just like them

Old 12-04-2007, 03:18 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
still it is a sick kind of deranged torture,...
No, it is not

Nor, should the government be involved with parenting.

Or, do you think the government should tell parents what to do also?

Old 12-04-2007, 03:42 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
I look at the Children and Youth department where I live. I need look no further to understand that more Gov invovment would be a disaster. It is a sexist biggoted system.
All dads are bad and only moms can be good but not all moms.
If a stranger files a complaint against a dad he might go 45 days without seeing his child.
A doctor files a complaint against the mom and it doesn't even rank a case number.
My lawyer refers to them as the DOAD division of angry dy&^s.
I have an autistic daughter. Severe autism. She nearly starved to death not once but twice with her mother. On 2 seperate occasions doctors filed medical neglect complaints and on both they were ignored. 30 grand later and pictures of Children and youth case workers in the background I liberated my daughter from that hell. The Children and Youth dept. testified a number of times to keep my daughter with her mother..... Her room literally looked liked the inside of a garbage truck... She wore dirty clothes, sat in her own waste for days at a time. Some life... This is what the gov has to offer.
Today she lives part time with me part time group home.
When I liberated her from her dungeon she weighed 86 pounds. 5'6" tall...
Today she weighs 125 pounds. brushes her teeth, uses the toilet, and wears name brand clothes and shoes. Takes a bath daily and her room looks like something from better homes and Gardens. Yeah I am bragging a bit and I have earned it. 30 grand in legal fees fighting the Gov to do the right thing.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:47 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Today she weighs 125 pounds. brushes her teeth, uses the toilet, and wears name brand clothes and shoes. Takes a bath daily and her room looks like something from better homes and Gardens. Yeah I am bragging a bit and I have earned it. 30 grand in legal fees fighting the Gov to do the right thing.
Congratulations on your successful efforts - you are to be commended for hanging in there where some would give up -

Old 12-04-2007, 08:46 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,383 times
Quote:
The "old school" was, and is, much better than this "new school" of discipline -
I couldn't agree with you more

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
What is it with you people...you are not hearing what others are writing...spanking is NOT USED all the time....never, nix, ever.
Their points are extreme Creme because it only helps them to justify calling all of us who advocate spanking (when necessary) as horrible, evil, stupid, un-educated parents

Quote:
creme
I got spanked alot. No doubt I earned everything I got too. It didn't make me violent, afraid, antisocial or have any other phobia's. What did it do?
Uhmmm I don't know. I served in the military, have taken Karate for about 27 years now and feel I am a stand up guy. I agree time outs and such are not as effective as some would like to think. My sister uses that and well her son is a spoiled little boy.
I think every child is different and will react differently.
are you sure that you don't have some suppressed psychological issues

Quote:
Spanking does not equate to "abuse"
I think we've been saying this over and over and over and over again. However, all parents who advocate spankings are "poor parents", "uneducated", "lazy", etc. etc.

Quote:
I look at the Children and Youth department where I live. I need look no further to understand that more Gov invovment would be a disaster. It is a sexist biggoted system.
All dads are bad and only moms can be good but not all moms.
If a stranger files a complaint against a dad he might go 45 days without seeing his child.
A doctor files a complaint against the mom and it doesn't even rank a case number.
My lawyer refers to them as the DOAD division of angry dy&^s.
I have an autistic daughter. Severe autism. She nearly starved to death not once but twice with her mother. On 2 seperate occasions doctors filed medical neglect complaints and on both they were ignored. 30 grand later and pictures of Children and youth case workers in the background I liberated my daughter from that hell. The Children and Youth dept. testified a number of times to keep my daughter with her mother..... Her room literally looked liked the inside of a garbage truck... She wore dirty clothes, sat in her own waste for days at a time. Some life... This is what the gov has to offer.
Today she lives part time with me part time group home.
Tinman, kudo's to you

Old 12-04-2007, 08:52 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,608,903 times
Wow Cream, have you checked out your poll results lately????!!!!

Illegal 11.11 percent

Legal 89.89 percent

Old 12-05-2007, 01:44 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,174,356 times
I don't think it is fair to assume that people posting in this thread "spank rarely."

There are lots of kids in this world who were spanked routinely.

People are claiming that they rarely spank, but how can we verify this? We're on an internet chat board! We can't verify any of this! People who claim to be women are occasionally men and sometimes women pretend to be men! There is no way to know who you are talking to on an internet board unless you've met the person or live near them and know who they are.

Anyway, I'd imagine there is a lot more spanking going on than anyone is admitting to.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:51 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,646,346 times
Default Spanking should never be legal, no matter who does it to who

Granted, I don't have any children yet, but I have been one, and I have been spanked once. It was one of the most humiliating and hurtful experiences I've ever had with my father, and I would never do that to a child of mine or any child for that matter, even if they drove me crazy and I could think of nothing else to do.
I see nothing good in spanking a child that works any longer than a short moment. I am proud that my country was the first of them all to make it illegal in 1979, and if it was up to me, it would be illegal everywhere in the world.

As it says in the Swedish Parent code: "Children have the right to care, safety and a good up bringing. Children shall be treated with respect for their own person and individuality and shall not be exposed to any bodily punishment or any other insulting treatment."

Children are far more sentitive to insults than adults, and to be spanked by one's own parents is a huge insult.
If we do not spank adults, then it cannot be ok to spank a child.
One can be charged of assult if one spanks an adult- so why would it be ok to spank a child, just because "it is nothing more than just 'a child'"?

In today's world of popular psychology books and magazines and TV shows who teach us how to guide us through parenting, it is no excuse to spank a child because "it was done before and it worked". Ok, fine, it might have worked before, but times have changed and we can now do things that are far better and effective than what was done "in the old days". We should look forward, not backwards. Learn from the old, but when the new knowledge is easily found, don't stop evolving. If we don't try out the new techniques, we will never know if it is better than the old or not.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:09 AM

28,900 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I don't think it is fair to assume that people posting in this thread "spank rarely."

There are lots of kids in this world who were spanked routinely.

People are claiming that they rarely spank, but how can we verify this? We're on an internet chat board! We can't verify any of this! People who claim to be women are occasionally men and sometimes women pretend to be men! There is no way to know who you are talking to on an internet board unless you've met the person or live near them and know who they are.

Anyway, I'd imagine there is a lot more spanking going on than anyone is admitting to.

OK, here we go...you say, you don't think it's fair to assume that people posting in this thread spank rarely....

well, if you go back and read through this thread, you will see you are wrong on both accounts...and your point is?

And no, there is not a lot more spanking going on then anyone is admitting to...sheesh...I believe most people who are posting here, we've known for a pretty long time, and know they are honest with their posts, just by knowing them...and reading them...you can conclude by reading other people's posts for over a year who they are, what they believe in, etc.

Your wrong again....I for one, am not lieing when I say I spanked my child 3 - 4 times in his entire life...so please do not call me a liar....to make a point...

if you say, there are lots of kids who are spanked routinely, please, give me a percentage of how many people you know spank routinely...or give statistics and I'll say, no one knows unless they run a survey. Routinely, hmmmm, now tell me, in your mind, how many times in routinely....once every day, once every week, once every month, once every 3 mos., 6 mos. every year? How many, times, to you would be routinely?

I spanked my son, lets say 4 times in his entire 18 years of life
there are 365 days in a year x his 18 years of life at home....equals 6,570 days he lived at home.... divided by 4 spankings since I cannot remember if it was 3 or 4 times I spanked him.... equals 1,645.50 days divided by 365 days in a year equals every 4.5 years in his entire life, he received a spanking? Would that be routinely to you? And let us remember, that I spanked his butt, didn't strap him, didn't slap him across the face, didn't draw blood, didn't leave a mark on his butt...but I spanked him...and not hard...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies