Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:08 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,210,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
Wow. Who would have guessed all the usual tea bagger types would have an issue with a transgender person?
Or maybe just the sane people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 02:40 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Great parents. They have clearly educated themselves about transgenderism and are doing everything they can to support the child they love. It's such a shame more parents of transgender kids are like these parents.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I've never wanted to be a girl, but I know a guy who always thought he was born wrong and should have been a girl.
He became fully transsexual, but he's a mighty ugly girl; changing gender didn't change his 6"+ height, his masculine musculature, big bones, and only softened his masculine features a little.

Is he happier? No. He was always shy, and she's just as shy now. She is one of the loneliest people I know, and still thinks like a man in a lot of things. But she's now content with who she is, even though she's totally estranged from her family, almost all the friends of both sexes she ever made, and can no longer find a job as a boilermaker, the profession she was expert in as a male.

In the single conversation I had with her about the sex change, she said she now 'matches'… she couldn't explain it further, but I took it to mean her inner self image now matches her external self image.

Physically, she is just about as far from a cross-dresser as it gets. She wears nothing flashy at all, and has no sense at all of female fashion and all of that. He was a big lunk as a guy and is a big lunk as a girl. The only thing that's really changed is the regular estrogen shots have made his beard and Adam's apple go away and have softened him a little bit.

His peace with herself has come at huge cost. After spending some occasional time with her, I was always extra grateful I was born fully heterosexual and completely happy to be a man.
That's one of the main reasons for puberty blocking treatment so the secondary sexual characteristics don't develop and gender reassignment surgery after 18 years old is much more successful.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Normally I am quite supportive of the transgender community. In this case I have to question the wisdom of allowing a child to decide their own medical future. I question the doctors involved. This child may very well be correct in the path she has chosen. Just as possible they are making a horrible mistake. I would have opted to wait and allow the child to mature first. I can only hope this is the right path for her.
Puberty blocking treatment until the child is 18 years old (like these parents are doing) is the best approach. It allows time for the child to mature emotionally so they can make their own decisions about whether or not to have gender reassigment surgery after 18 years old. It's not legal before then anyway.

Going through puberty and allowing all the secondary sexual characteristics to develop (height, musculature, body hair, beard, wider hips, breasts etc) makes it a lot more difficult if the person decides they want gender reassignment surgery later. Sadly, something like 50% of transgender kids attempt suicide while going through puberty because they can't cope with the physical changes they go through.

Puberty blocking treatment can always be stopped and normal puberty kicks back in- just at a later age.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:58 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,948,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
That's one of the main reasons for puberty blocking treatment so the secondary sexual characteristics don't develop and gender reassignment surgery after 18 years old is much more successful.
In think you would have better results discussing this issue in your rational and logical way with your dog...instead of this crowd.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
In think you would have better results discussing this issue in your rational and logical way with your dog...instead of this crowd.
I think you are right.

What I find sad is that maintaining their ignorant prejudices is far more important to them than the well-being of children. If any of them had a transgender child, the child would probably end up committing suicide.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:57 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,210,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Yea...because THAT won't have it's own set of psychological ramifications.

You can't make this stuff up.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:14 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

Transgender Tween Enters Dating World, Faces New Host of Problems - Barbara Walters Update - YouTube

Barbara Walters reveals what she learned after revisiting a young girl who was born a boy.

This is interesting. Go for it, Barbara Walters.
Ok, HE has a penis, as HE admits in the video, so stop calling HIM a HER.

We need to be getting people like this help for their mental illness. They'd be much happier if they could be helped.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:19 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

We need to be getting people like this help for their mental illness. They'd be much happier if they could be helped.
But it's not a mental illness.

Once again righties, science is clearly your enemy. Why don't you start some thread about how Western Civilization's psychiatric professionals are all a bunch of hoaxsters and frauds? I bet the Scientologists would support you.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

She IS being helped.

What would help even more is if people educated themselves about transgenderism. In less than one hour you could know 100% more about transgenderism than you do now - if you chose to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies