Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 08:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes, this is a real problem for the unions. They are far to involved in politics for many employee's. They do not want to see their due's going to support candidates they themselves do not support. Indeed many can argue they do not want to see their company supporting candidate's they do not support also but they don't get to vote on that in the same way.
I agree. The unions care more about politics today because they don't have to worry about their workers.
The need for unions to "protect" them no longer exist today.

The biggest oxymoron IMHO is that government workers belong to a union

Old 02-15-2014, 08:50 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I made 80g doing no over time in a factory. I know a lot of guys who made more than I did pumping out the overtime. Are you saying only Union workers can make 96G or more?
Are you in the South and are you unskilled or skilled labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I do and not a single one has a union in it.......
I know...so do I.

I made 100k last year at a non union donut shop sweeping floors.

There...now I fit in on CD too.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:52 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
I don't mind the idea of unions. Unfortunately in the modern-day, they're misguided and useless and stuck in the past. And oh, that ridiculous devotion to one party no matter what.
Public sector? They're the worst kind of union. They don't go up against any big greedy corporation. Just the government. But they are the government, in full cahoots with legislators. So basically they're fighting against the tax-payer. Mostly gouging middle-class tax payers who can only dream of the benefits those public sector unions enjoy.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

I know...so do I.

Why do you think no one can make good money outside of being in a union ?

Old 02-15-2014, 08:57 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because he is/was union most likely. For some reason, union folks seem to think they are better workers than those that are not union.

I find it hilarious.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:57 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

I know...so do I.

Your not supposed to count all you special needs person subsidies from the Government.....Now I really did make 109k last year + a 15k bonus in Jan + a 4% raise ......admittedly I am in the North and have some skills albeit no education....

Old 02-15-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Never said that. I make a decent living and I'm not in a union.

This conversation is limited STRICTLY to manufacturing and in particular auto manufacturing.

Not talking about anything else.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Rye View Post
Why did VW want the plant unionized?
According to this link, VW was neutral on the union issue.
Tennessee Volkswagen Workers Vote On UAW Membership : NPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No, they don't.

We are all adults. As an adult, I don't need to pay someone to look after me...what is that? Is that like a babysitter? If I don't like a work environment, I leave that work environment. That's how it works. You're a fool to pay someone to think about maybe obtaining some type of a spine to perhaps represent a few of your complaints...well, at least the ones that will ruffle the fewest feathers.

Unions are a damn joke. Spineless little whiny types. I don't need a coward to have my back, and I certainly am not interested in paying for one.
Oh, spare me the "Libertarian 101" stuff. Who's holding the power in the workplace? The individual worker? I. . . don't. . . think. . . so! Many people have very little choice but to work where they work. Oh, they might have a choice between that and unemployment, but that doesn't last too long!

Old 02-15-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Because he is/was union most likely. For some reason, union folks seem to think they are better workers than those that are not union.

I find it hilarious.
I live in right to work Arizona. I work for DOD as a Material Command contractor.

So what union do I belong to?

Old 02-15-2014, 09:15 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post

I find it hilarious.
It's worse, he works for a gov. defense contractor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.