Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 03:32 PM

187 posts, read 195,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
A water ban exactly like that in the late 70s is what gave us the Z-Boys and skateboarding in pools. The skaters will be psyched if they do it again.
Stacy Peralta and Tony Alva to name just a couple.

I had a half pipe with ten foot sides, swimming pool coping at the top and plenty of flat bottom in my backyard. We built it in 1980 and skated the H$ll out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 03:42 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,417,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapruder View Post
Stacy Peralta and Tony Alva to name just a couple.

I had a half pipe with ten foot sides, swimming pool coping at the top and plenty of flat bottom in my backyard. We built it in 1980 and skated the H$ll out of it.
Go Zboys. Zama rules.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:58 PM

4,583 posts, read 3,410,946 times
Something that goes unmentioned because it was a synergistic, unconventional design about the Carlsbad desalinzation plant:

There has been for many years an old antiquated power plant next to the site. I am unsure of the fuel used, but it was steam turbines. Instead of a cooling tower the plant used pipe loops under water in one of the lagoons off of the ocean raising the water temperature significantly and killing marine life, plus it had a very polluting smokestack. Now, I do not know if they were under orders to end this practice or not but basically, Poseidon came in with this proposal: Lets take the heat from these loops, use it to provide a certain baseline temperature for our operations, mitigating the need for electricity and return the cooled water to the electrical plant, thus vastly decreasing both electrical usage and the heated output tot he ocean, neither of those aspects were ever part of any environmental lawsuits. I will mention the few items I recall that were in a few moments.

Now, yes, it will be expensive, that was one part of the holdup, was that it just was not mathematically feasible at first. However, though San Diego gets water via aquaduct, it has to first travel via the LA Water system and their "carriage" rates from the Colorado have skyrocketed over the last 10 years, they are now basically charging San Diego about 10x to move the mater than for the water itself. This, along with a projection the LA Water was going to increase carriage rates about 15% a year going forward is what made the Desal plant pencil out.

Now for the 2 specific items that I recall from past lawsuits over an approved but "deficient" EIR:

1) a lawsuit was filed that the EIR did not take into account the x-million extra people that could be sustained in San Diego County if the plant was built. IE the Sierra Club and such assumed that if the plant was built, there would be no resultant cutback in Colorado intake for SD just more roads, people and homes.

2) They environmental community found that a 6 ounce per day destruction of fish eggs at an intake pope to be unacceptable. I can't say if this is valid or not.

Now SD is paying Imperial Co farmers to idle land and sell that water, via the Colorado Aqueduct to SD it is the loss of the pesticide laden runoff from these idled farms that is killing Salton Sea. I also know of a little publicized plan form 1998 to study a canal from about Indio to Occitillo and a pump up over the mountains to just west of Boulevard that was nixed due to the $2Billion cost, it did not pencil out then but with the above mentioned escalation of LA Waters carriage rates, there has been some rumbling of revisiting the idea. I am watching this closely because of all the land held in Boulevard by me, my boss and a number of friends and also knowing just what a high fraction of coworkers at my last employer were daily commuters form El Centro and Callexico to San Diego, essentially, if Boulevard ever got running city water, we are all muiti millionaires overnight with our farm holdings.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:02 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How on earth will they enforce that?
Drones.

Targeting...

Mircea

Old 04-04-2015, 02:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
When central Texas was going through their drought years and water restrictions were in place, the rich had wells dug on their property so they could keep their lawns green.

And there wasn't a damn thing the city could do about it either.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:22 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,531,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
"But by all means let's keep the illegals pouring in here!"
LOL! Don't forget the gays and the Iranians...oh...and ISIS...what happened to ISIS?

Old 04-04-2015, 02:23 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,531,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When central Texas was going through their drought years and water restrictions were in place, the rich had wells dug on their property so they could keep their lawns green.

And there wasn't a damn thing the city could do about it either.
I don't think wealthy people worry about water, and why would the city want to do something about it?

Old 04-04-2015, 02:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I don't think wealthy people worry about water, and why would the city want to do something about it?
lol..you think that unmetered water is coming from a different source ?

Old 04-04-2015, 03:30 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I also agree with making potable water out of the Pacific Ocean. Yes, it CAN be done, and it just might become absolutely necessary!
I wouldn't recommend having a plutonic relationship with your water supply.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:31 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,136,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
'Will California soon fill its prisons with "water criminals?" If a cop drives by a yard where two people are standing around, and one of them is smoking a joint while the other is watering his yard, guess which one will be arrested?

Gov. Brown orders California to become a water police state as region begins reverting to uninhabitable desert - NaturalNews.com
Dude, California is the number 1 state for a reason...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies