Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 08:44 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Most likely when he jerked from the tazer she panicked..
This is possible. And it would mean that she likely had her finger on the trigger before there was reason to use deadly force. Any way you slice it it looks to me like she screwed up.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:49 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Here is the OPINION I've formed at this point.

I think Crutcher got high on PCP after leaving school and had a bad trip. He became disoriented, stopped in the middle of the road and exited his vehicle.

The cops showed up, and he didn't follow their orders due to his state.

He wasn't aware of the danger and was making irrational decisions when he went to get back in his car to go home.

The police saw him as a threat as he was trying to figure out how to get in his car, and shot him, resulting in his death.

For me, the overall problem is that this will likely be seen as a lawful shoot because it was a perceived threat.

Crutcher should not have been shot for being high. People with medical conditions which could leave them irrational could face the same outcome. Heck, we saw a caregiver shot due to his charge being somewhat irrational.

We can't have a system where people, who are not a threat, get gunned down due to vague notions of threat that allow police too much latitude. At the same time, we can't endanger the lives of police by restricting self defense too much.

As I've said many times, I believe the answer is less armed government agents roaming around looking for suspicious activity.
Agreed. Law enforcement should be defending our rights and they shouldn't be used to raise money for the state.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:50 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I'm still trying to understand why there was so many officers and a helicopter for a stalled car. It doesn't make sense.
A car stalled smack in the middle of a highway in this day and age of bombings. Doesn't surprise me. Police have been shot at, driven over, etc..... If I were them, I would be suspicious of an ambush.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:51 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
This is possible. And it would mean that she likely had her finger on the trigger before there was reason to use deadly force. Any way you slice it it looks to me like she screwed up.
He was unarmed, so of course she screwed up; however, this screw up will probably end up being considered legal.

As long as we have thousands of encounters between armed law enforcement agents and people every single day, we will continue to see these screw ups that may be deemed legal.

The easiest way to reduce them is by reducing the number of encounters between armed government agents and people who aren't 100% compliant. Keep in mind, drugs, including alcohol or medications, illness, being overworked, being distraught, etc can end up with a person not being 100% compliant or even irrational.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:53 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,991,313 times
I guess they said they found PCP in the car....

Old 09-21-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
He's not the only one stating the TRUTH. The window was closed.

That counts you out.

What would you know about credibility?
Truth is treason to people like you.

Proof the window was closed and you don't know what you are talking about.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.05682a84b87f
That looks like pretty indisputable evidence the window was closed or at most barely cracked to the point of not being able to get an arm in or even a hand.

Thank you for reposting that link.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:57 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
He was unarmed, so of course she screwed up; however, this screw up will probably end up being considered legal.

As long as we have thousands of encounters between armed law enforcement agents and people every single day, we will continue to see these screw ups that may be deemed legal.

The easiest way to reduce them is by reducing the number of encounters between armed government agents and people who aren't 100% compliant. Keep in mind, drugs, including alcohol or medications, illness, being overworked, being distraught, etc can end up with a person not being 100% compliant or even irrational.
I agree with this. The officer screwed up "but being in fear of his/her life fired his/her service weapon at the subject". So being fearful and panicking in a stressful situation gives cops carte blanc to use deadly force. There's something wrong here.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:01 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:

How could the officer know the man was unarmed at the time? She probably called in the license when she stopped and received this information;

Quote:
Officer Shelby later called on the radio that she was out with a subject (Crutcher) who wouldn’t show her his hands, and other officers began to respond.
Quote:
Terence Crutcher’s criminal history shows that he was charged with carrying a concealed weapon and resisting an officer in 1996, but initial reports show nothing of note in the past 20 years.
Tulsa Officer Betty Shelby Shooting Of Terence Crutcher - Blue Lives Matter

Old 09-21-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How could the officer know the man was unarmed at the time? She probably called in the license when she stopped and received this information;

Tulsa Officer Betty Shelby Shooting Of Terence Crutcher - Blue Lives Matter
At 17, when I was going to the creek to fish (where there happened to be a fair amount of cotton mouth snakes), I could have ended up with such a charge due to having my pellet gun pistol tucked in my shorts under my shirt.

Cops probably make the assumption that most of us are armed. The last time I was pulled over, the cop put his hand on the back of my car as he approached my window. Why did he do this? He did it to leave evidence on my car in case I shot him and drove off. If my car was located, his print and possible DNA would most likely be found. They start off perceiving you as a potential threat.

The cops need to protect themselves and make it home to their families. I don't believe they should have to wait until being fired upon to stop a threat to them. I believe even an unarmed person can pose a deadly threat. But we can't have unarmed people who are not actually a threat gunned down.

The only solution I see is reducing the encounters between the public and armed, and a bit scared, police. The only way to do this is reducing the number of armed government agents.

I'm not saying to get rid of all armed cops. I'm saying that most need to be retired and our system of policing completely overhauled.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:42 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Here is the OPINION I've formed at this point.

I think Crutcher got high on PCP after leaving school and had a bad trip. He became disoriented, stopped in the middle of the road and exited his vehicle.
I still don't think he took the PCP. The effects are almost immediate; 10 minutes from time of ingestion (or smoking it).

If he was really a user of PCP he would have known that and would not have taken it, presumably after leaving the college, knowing he had a drive ahead of him. Makes no sense. After all, he was 40 years old, not a stupid punk teenager.

Again, I hope the family hires an independent lab to analyze his blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies