Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2016, 03:21 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210 View Post
Really? Well someone out stats out for mens issues, who is drawing attention to that? Ill never date a feminist.
Then you'll probably never date because most women are feminists. You'll be hard pressed to find a woman who does not advocate for "women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men."

Before someone tries to question me, do you support a woman's right to go to college and/or grad school? How common it is now? Do you think that's a good thing? In 1938 only 3 of a good 50, maybe more, graduates of what's now Rutgers Law School in Newark were women. Now nearly 50% are. Do you think this is a good thing? If so, you hold a feminist belief.

Do you support a woman's right to be paid as much as a man for working the same exact jobs for the same number of years, same experience level, same everything? If so, you hold a feminist belief.

Do you support the gradual increase over time of more women holding public office, like positions in Congress? If so, you hold a feminist belief.

It's not difficult or unusual to be a feminist and have feminist beliefs. There is a very negative connotation of feminists but at its basis and simplest THIS is feminism and it's something we are STILL working on today. It's a lot better than ever but it's a work in progress. We are not done with even some of these simple goals. The stereotypical feminist is just that - a stereotype. The problem is people are very uneducated on what feminists actually are. If they really knew they would realize - even many men - that they are probably feminists themselves. Not an extreme feminist, but just a feminist.

Learning is a cool thing.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 11-04-2016 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 03:55 PM

983 posts, read 738,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Then you'll probably never date because most women are feminists. You'll be hard pressed to find a woman who does not advocate for "women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men."

Before someone tries to question me, do you support a woman's right to go to college and/or grad school? How common it is now? Do you think that's a good thing? In 1938 only 3 of a good 50, maybe more, graduates of what's now Rutgers Law School in Newark were women. Now nearly 50% are. Do you think this is a good thing? If so, you hold a feminist belief.

Do you support a woman's right to be paid as much as a man for working the same exact jobs for the same number of years, same experience level, same everything? If so, you hold a feminist belief.

Do you support the gradual increase over time of more women holding public office, like positions in Congress? If so, you hold a feminist belief.

It's not difficult or unusual to be a feminist and have feminist beliefs. There is a very negative connotation of feminists but at its basis and simplest THIS is feminism and it's something we are STILL working on today. It's a lot better than ever but it's a work in progress. We are not done with even some of these simple goals. The stereotypical feminist is just that - a stereotype. The problem is people are very uneducated on what feminists actually are. If they really knew they would realize - even many men - that they are probably feminists themselves. Not an extreme feminist, but just a feminist.

Learning is a cool thing.
Speak for yourself.

As usual as so many feminists do you try to strong-arm those into accepting in your ideology that is far more than what the dictionary definition says. I, as well as other women I know do believe those things but don't call ourselves feminists, humanists, or other labels are more accurate.

Women, such as in the above video I showed are good reasons why many women don't call themselves feminists. And before you say "Oh, women like that don't represent feminism" the very fact that such women can do such, make up some bogus claim online, even have conferences on college campuses yet have no issue getting legions of self-proclaimed feminists to be on their side makes it moot.

Just look at all the feminists back Hillary. A woman that like Merkel would be perfectly fine with women getting beaten, raped, sexually assaulted all for power. Not even counting her sticking with and defending a scum bag rapist husband. Not that it really matters to feminists, actually getting women into positions of power is all that matters. Hillary and friends could be making Aztec sacrifices of women on the white house lawn ripping out their hearts and they wouldn't give a damn.

It's actually quite scary really, they won't even acknowledge any wrong-doing of Hillary, instead they are treating her like the female Jesus Christ Messiah and the savior of all womankind!

Last edited by Marleinie; 11-04-2016 at 04:07 PM..

Old 11-04-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Speak for yourself.

As usual as so many feminists do you try to strong-arm those into accepting in your ideology that is far more than what the dictionary definition says. I, as well as other women I know do believe those things but don't call ourselves feminists, humanists, or other labels are more accurate.

Women, such as in the above video I showed are good reasons why many women don't call themselves feminists. And before you say "Oh, women like that don't represent feminism" the very fact that such women can do such, make up some bogus claim online, even have conferences on college campuses yet have no issue getting legions of self-proclaimed feminists to be on their side makes it moot.
Did you go through my list of questions to test yourself? If you agree with any or all then you are most likely a feminist. If you DON'T think it's a good thing that for example there are more female law school grads than there were 50 years ago and this current Congress is the most diverse ever including how many women it has, then not only are you probably not a feminist, but that's also really sad that you disagree that it's a good thing more and more women are attending college and grad school, getting well paying jobs and financial independence, getting paid more equally to men for the same jobs, and gaining more and more spots in political office.

Again - remove all negative connotations of feminism from your head that you have heard from others and look at its definition: "the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men." (dictionary)

"Feminism is a range of political movements, ideologies, and social movements that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve political, economic, personal, and social rights for women. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment." (Wikipedia)

You can be a feminist without being an EXTREME (often the stereotypical) feminist.

And I do no such thing as you claim. I am not "strong arming" anyone into accepting anything. I'm simply trying to educate those who need it. Feminism is not "far more" than what basic definitions are unless you want them to be or make them out to be. Feminism IS its definition; anything else are more extreme manifestations - like each political party has basic set of general ideals and principles and you have the moderates and the extremists. You don't have to call yourself a feminist but it doesn't mean you're not. It just means you don't call yourself one. It doesn't mean you don't fit the definition just because you say you don't.

The anti-feminist movement, especially among women, is very bizarre. Like I said, the problem usually is that people - like you - don't understand it and choose to accept the extremists as the only or true feminists, and you don't like it, so you reject it entirely, even going so far as to claim that you're NOT a feminist despite demonstrating to me that you are. I don't like the extremists either. A feminist is not a bad thing to be. No need to reject it. You can reject the extremism all you want but bottom line is if youlre a supporter of the ideals in the definitions, you ARE a feminist. I'm not going to let some extremists change my views on the movement or myself as a self-proclaimed member of that movement. You can be an inactive feminist - just quietly support these things, as a woman. No need to be so ashamed.

The definition of feminist does not require for example that women think men suck and should be emasculated or some other absurd proposition. That is not the core of feminism, that's a true extreme view that SOME hold. I do not identify with those people but that doesn't mean I am not a feminist.

And no need to put an eye roll emoji in your post to me because nothing I said is inaccurate. I say "most women are feminists" and you say "speak for yourself"... okay but I did say "most," not "all." You may be one of the "not most" and in that case I didn't try to speak for you.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:19 PM

1,504 posts, read 851,866 times
There is no point in feminism. A woman that is dynamic -smart and driven can not be restrained...as for husband from some cultures where woman seem subjugated...people forget husbands and wives love each other...My sister who is not in her sixties was a staunch feminist...Her older life is not as good as it could be.

When she was young...she dated a very nice and handsome doctor...They were drunk at a party and she saw some woman making advances towards her boyfriend....My sister was a very independent real estate person who made a lot of money and was trained as a feminist....She was pregnant at during this period...being a feminist...she flew off to New York and had an abortion...Just to show the young doctor that she was independent and a feminist.

Now decades later she attempted to contact the doctor...He wants nothing to do with her...She on the other hand has no children...lives alone and finally understands that feminism robbed her of a good high quality life.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
There is no point in feminism. A woman that is dynamic -smart and driven can not be restrained...as for husband from some cultures where woman seem subjugated...people forget husbands and wives love each other...My sister who is not in her sixties was a staunch feminist...Her older life is not as good as it could be.

When she was young...she dated a very nice and handsome doctor...They were drunk at a party and she saw some woman making advances towards her boyfriend....My sister was a very independent real estate person who made a lot of money and was trained as a feminist....She was pregnant at during this period...being a feminist...she flew off to New York and had an abortion...Just to show the young doctor that she was independent and a feminist.

Now decades later she attempted to contact the doctor...He wants nothing to do with her...She on the other hand has no children...lives alone and finally understands that feminism robbed her of a good high quality life.
The feminist movement is what allows so many women to be in college and working basically whatever jobs they want today. It's what allowed women to VOTE. What's helped them to not be housewives (there is nothing wrong with that if that is what one wants) and be independent financially (prior it was patriarchal beliefs that discouraged this - women belong in the kitchen and should have a meal waiting each day for her working husband at 5:30 pm, should take care of the kids and house, etc). Over the years it allowed women to own property as well. Much more recently (70s-90s) it disallowed marital rape. MARITAL RAPE was legal until not even 30 years ago at the latest in this country. You know what the basis of allowing marital rape was? That a wife is her husband's property. Thank GOD we don't think that anymore, at least not legally. Thank feminism for female Supreme Court Justices (1981 the first... took over 200 YEARS). There is still work to be done.

A woman who is driven was able to accomplish things, sure. But it wasn't easy for her until rather recently - especially education and career wise. I don't like Hillary but look at her stories about taking the LSAT and going to law school and what people said to her - one man said something like "you don't belong here, you're taking a spot away from a man who can avoid the draft by going to school and now has to go to war." Women face fewer attacks and opinions like this now BECAUSE of feminism. It is pretty much the norm now for women to go to school like men did. It's the norm now for men AND women to move on to college ater high school and grad school after college, because of feminism. This was not always the case. Feminism helps change society's ideals and mold them towards more equality. Where generally people view it as okay now for women to do x when they used to not do x that commonly and if they did many men and even other women did not support them in it.

But for all those accomplishments and changes you can at least partially thank feminism. You'll be able to thank it for many future changes as well because we are not done. I personally would like to see more women in politics. That's something to work on for sure.

"Feminism robbed her of a good high quality life" - uh, what a pathetic cop out. Your sister made a CHOICE to have an abortion. Yes maybe feminism is a reason why abortions are legal but if it weren't, a rape victim would be denied that choice. One who did not even choose to have sex. Your sister CHOSE to have an abortion, and that's all on her. Saying her feminist beliefs are the problem is a problem in itself.

But you revealed your bias, so tell yourself whatever you want.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:04 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:
I don't know any women, feminist or not, who think these things. I especially don't know women, feminist or not, who want men to act more like women.

And I'm a grad student who's been around other higher ed students and professors at liberal state and private schools for over 5 years. I live in a liberal progressive state and I still don't know people like you describe. Where are all these mystical feminists who try to tear down masculinity and hate men? I don't doubt some exist somewhere because logic and statistics tells me so however in no way do I believe they're strong enough in numbers that they're worth discussing. There are always fringe extremists in ANY group and they're the exceptions not the rules.
Well said, Jersey!

I have NO idea where people come up with the stuff they do about "feminists." I, too, have lived in large, diverse liberal cities in the north for most of my life, and graduated from very liberal schools. I don't know ANY women like posters such as katie45 describe. Reading posts on this thread is baffling.

Other than caricatures from 1970s TV sitcoms and movies, where do these frothing-at-the-mouth, man-hating feminists exist? They sound like a very unusual species. Do they live primarily in cities, or are there equal numbers of them in suburbs and rural areas? What do they eat? Do they mate for life or solely for procreation? Do they live in packs, or are they solitary creatures? Do they hibernate in winter? Do they blend into their surrounding environments, or can we easily identify them? Was there some strange genetic mutation that occurred within the female population decades ago that created these beasts? Where did they come from?

With few exceptions, I can't think of any women I know who wouldn't self-identify as feminists, yet most are long happily married/partnered; most have children they fiercely love; most cook almost every day and are active in a multitude of other traditionally "female" domestic interests; most are particular about the cleanliness and comfort of their homes and are constantly doing housework; most are nice people and very feminine women; most put effort into staying fit and attractive for their SOs; and most are pretty happy.

Honestly, as another poster said way upthread, it's amazing -- and discouraging -- on what incredibly shallow levels people think, and the subject of "feminism" is one of the most revealing of this limitation. This even includes people, who, based on their qualifications, SHOULD exhibit deeper, more flexible critical thinking skills (and reading comprehension!), but they don't. Many people simply seem to not possess the capability, or even the desire, to evaluate anything beyond the most superficial, immediate level.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 11-04-2016 at 06:52 PM..

Old 11-04-2016, 06:51 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210 View Post
Really? Well someone out stats out for mens issues, who is drawing attention to that? Ill never date a feminist.
What do you look like? You might never have to worry about it.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Did you go through my list of questions to test yourself? If you agree with any or all then you are most likely a feminist. If you DON'T think it's a good thing that for example there are more female law school grads than there were 50 years ago and this current Congress is the most diverse ever including how many women it has, then not only are you probably not a feminist, but that's also really sad that you disagree that it's a good thing more and more women are attending college and grad school, getting well paying jobs and financial independence, getting paid more equally to men for the same jobs, and gaining more and more spots in political office.

Again - remove all negative connotations of feminism from your head that you have heard from others and look at its definition: "the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men." (dictionary)

"Feminism is a range of political movements, ideologies, and social movements that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve political, economic, personal, and social rights for women. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment." (Wikipedia)

You can be a feminist without being an EXTREME (often the stereotypical) feminist.

And I do no such thing as you claim. I am not "strong arming" anyone into accepting anything. I'm simply trying to educate those who need it. Feminism is not "far more" than what basic definitions are unless you want them to be or make them out to be. Feminism IS its definition; anything else are more extreme manifestations - like each political party has basic set of general ideals and principles and you have the moderates and the extremists. You don't have to call yourself a feminist but it doesn't mean you're not. It just means you don't call yourself one. It doesn't mean you don't fit the definition just because you say you don't.

The anti-feminist movement, especially among women, is very bizarre. Like I said, the problem usually is that people - like you - don't understand it and choose to accept the extremists as the only or true feminists, and you don't like it, so you reject it entirely, even going so far as to claim that you're NOT a feminist despite demonstrating to me that you are. I don't like the extremists either. A feminist is not a bad thing to be. No need to reject it. You can reject the extremism all you want but bottom line is if youlre a supporter of the ideals in the definitions, you ARE a feminist. I'm not going to let some extremists change my views on the movement or myself as a self-proclaimed member of that movement. You can be an inactive feminist - just quietly support these things, as a woman. No need to be so ashamed.

The definition of feminist does not require for example that women think men suck and should be emasculated or some other absurd proposition. That is not the core of feminism, that's a true extreme view that SOME hold. I do not identify with those people but that doesn't mean I am not a feminist.

And no need to put an eye roll emoji in your post to me because nothing I said is inaccurate. I say "most women are feminists" and you say "speak for yourself"... okay but I did say "most," not "all." You may be one of the "not most" and in that case I didn't try to speak for you.
You are acting like Feminism is the holy grail of all that is good, won't even acknowledge all the many drawbacks. Obviously nothing I say will change that. However, if you ever get time I HIGHLY recommend you watch this, this woman is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcthTPP0s4

Old 11-04-2016, 10:55 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkwizitor View Post
Reproductive rights, breast cancer, domestic violence, they already get plenty of attention. Women already get education. Body image, well that's their own responsibility.

Women already get way more than their fair share of attention in many things. Yet they still crave for more. Even children don't demand that much attention.

Maybe it's time for feminists to say thank you to men for creating civilization, pack their bags, and go home. And men really need to stop worshipping women. Women are nothing special.

Some of this I can agree with, other parts not so much. I would say that women do get their fair share of attention and that body image is an individual thing. For both men and women. Don't like the way your body is shaped, diet and exercise is a good place to start. Now, things like scars and other disfigurements and other things that nobody has any control over, all I can say, speaking from experience, is that people can be exceedingly cruel. Nuf said.

As to worshipping women, maybe some men do, I personally don't worship them. However They do have many special qualities. What these are vary on individual opinion, so I won't list any. One woman in particular I find very special, for a lot of reasons. Men also have special qualities and good, honest women recognize those qualities the same way that men recognize the same in women. This also can vary widely with individual opinion. But a blanket absolute stating that women are nothing special? Nope, can't get on board with that.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:14 AM

I love this woman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LoPAA3cPuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoCQFJxeHr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myu3zwfGGwc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies