Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2016, 12:21 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times

Advertisements

There has never been a female president in the entire history of the country, 227 years of male presidents and not one female even though there are more women than men in the U.S. population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 12:22 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,187,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkwizitor View Post
Feminism is supposedly about women having the same rights as men.

For that to be a valid point / issue, all of the following would have to be true :

* Men have rights which women don't have
* Those rights are rights which women rightfully ought to have
* The number / weight of those rights added up would have to be significantly greater than that of rights which women have which men don't have which men rightfully ought to have

But all of those things are not true.

Or are they? I've never heard a convincing argument that they are.
If Clinton were a man than there would be no question that "he" would be President. Americans like Trump b/c he is a man. Women still clearly have to work that much harder and be that much better in order to compete. Come on. Look at Trump. This is a freaking joke...

Old 11-05-2016, 12:23 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
If Clinton were a man than there would be no question that "he" would be President. Americans like Trump b/c he is a man. Women still clearly have to work that much harder and be that much better in order to compete. Come on. Look at Trump. This is a freaking joke...
So true. Everything you've said is so true.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:01 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
You are acting like Feminism is the holy grail of all that is good, won't even acknowledge all the many drawbacks. Obviously nothing I say will change that. However, if you ever get time I HIGHLY recommend you watch this, this woman is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcthTPP0s4
I don't act like that at all.

What's with all the cop outs from some people? Have nothing good of substance to say? Thought so. It IS much easier to tell me I'm acting ridiculous than to acknowledge my valid and factual points...

Please show me some drawbacks of feminism. I don't want drawbacks of EXTREME feminism, I want to know the drawbacks of basic feminism, at its core principles. The feminism that got us the right to vote, that got us commonly on the workforce doing whatever we want, that made it normal for us to have access to higher education. The feminism that is moving us towards more women in politics. The feminism that over time got society and law to look at us as humans and not a man's property - that gave us property rights and ended the legality of marital rape, the feminism that helps DV victims and get more convictions for abusers. Please enlighten me. I'm sure you know so much, care to share?

Old 11-05-2016, 08:10 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
There has never been a female president in the entire history of the country, 227 years of male presidents and not one female even though there are more women than men in the U.S. population.
Those saying we don't need feminism or that feminism is toxic or think that ALL feminism is EXTREME feminism are either uneducated or deluding themselves, possibly both. A lot of them honestly sound like old people shaking their fists at the younger generations who - God forbid - fight for political equality and representation and other goals. Anyone claiming there is complete equality between the genders OR that "women have more rights" are lying and they know it. They'd rather keep shaking their fists angrily at something they actually know nothing about - many have proven they know nothing about it. This is typical of CD.

It's no surprise that so many people blindly follow stereotypes and don't bother learning about anything on their own. I see it all the time.

Old 11-05-2016, 02:59 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So most women you know dont work for a pay check, vote, have a credit card, own property, utilize birth control, have a college degree.

My mother an Obstetrician, did all of those things and more. Was she a feminist? IDK she never used that word, but who knows. She believed in fairness across the board. She had zero resentment in her heart. I do know she did not act like I see so many of today's feminists act, with hate, and being offended 24/7 over everything, being angry all the time, seeing injustice everywhere.
She lived by the Golden Rule best she could, helped bring in many lives into the world, led by example. She wasn't perfect, and I know initially at the start of her career, faced pushback from male doctors. Her response to that was to observe the GR, and be the best she could, she let the nonsense roll off her back.
She once told me that if she couldn't handle the juvenile actions of some neanderthals, then how could she handle a life or death situation with a baby.
She said what those jerks said meant nothing, but when faced with a life or death decision she has to make in under 2 seconds or less, THAT'S pressure, not that other stuff. To me that's REAL strength and empowerment, not screaming in some dude she never met before's face about how he is oppressing her, and dying her hair pink and being pissed off all the time about something, and hating people she never met
She became a chairperson for a national organization for OB, wrote papers, worked out, and helped raise a family while caring for her aging parents (only child) Also traveled worldwide to clinics to help those people out some.
MY mom did all this is the 50's 60s 70s and 80s without "safe spaces" and without the permascowl, 24/7 anger, and constant screeching about the Patriarchy. She thrived in an era when men really ruled the roost in medical professions.
My mother was not perfect, but I'd love to see these oversized, pinkhaired trigglypuffs badly in need of soap, even last a week keeping up with her and her female colleagues when THEY were the same age.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:20 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,057,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't know any women, feminist or not, who think these things. I especially don't know women, feminist or not, who want men to act more like women.

And I'm a grad student who's been around other higher ed students and professors at liberal state and private schools for over 5 years. I live in a liberal progressive state and I still don't know people like you describe. Where are all these mystical feminists who try to tear down masculinity and hate men? I don't doubt some exist somewhere because logic and statistics tells me so however in no way do I believe they're strong enough in numbers that they're worth discussing. There are always fringe extremists in ANY group and they're the exceptions not the rules.
5 years? You're a newbie. Watch the girl talk shows, male bashing is top of the list. And I can understand your lack of knowledge about feminists wanting men to be more feminine because you weren't around when men were truly men.

And if you'd bothered to read my entire posting you would have read that I did not say that every feminist was a male basher.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:17 PM

983 posts, read 738,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
5 years? You're a newbie. Watch the girl talk shows, male bashing is top of the list. And I can understand your lack of knowledge about feminists wanting men to be more feminine because you weren't around when men were truly men.

And if you'd bothered to read my entire posting you would have read that I did not say that every feminist was a male basher.
Yes, this is very true. Sure women can talk about the feminists they know that don't act crazy or have crazy ideas about men or are men-haters but if like me you spend a lot of time reading news online there is no shortage of crazy feminists trying to censor free speech, especially against men, or say some of the crazies things one can think of, yet nevertheless they get lots of attention and money from feminists. Nor do they complain about the inequality to things such as divorce, crime etc.

In the CE forum I posted a article where a woman pulled her pants down in front of a bunch of HS kids and she was sent to a mental hospital and was not charged with a crime, yet if it were a man it would be straight to jail, straight to being charged with indecent exposure and straight on the sex offender registry.

Completely ridiculous! Yet feminists won't talk about inequality like that.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:51 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The feminist movement is what allows so many women to be in college and working basically whatever jobs they want today. It's what allowed women to VOTE. What's helped them to not be housewives (there is nothing wrong with that if that is what one wants) and be independent financially (prior it was patriarchal beliefs that discouraged this - women belong in the kitchen and should have a meal waiting each day for her working husband at 5:30 pm, should take care of the kids and house, etc). Over the years it allowed women to own property as well.
That's the kind of feminism that I support. Now feminism is filled with women bigoted against men and has hostile attitudes towards them.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:14 AM

983 posts, read 738,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
That's the kind of feminism that I support. Now feminism is filled with women bigoted against men and has hostile attitudes towards them.
And sadly, these kinds of "feminists" are the ones that get the most support, money and recognition BY feminists. Hell Anita Sarkeesian, the woman that gained 250+K dollars for making youtube videos on women in video games along with her equally crazy feminist friend got to speak at the freakin' UN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies