Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 11:03 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,631 times

Advertisements

African-Americans have been free in this country for less time than they were enslaved. Do the math: Blacks have been free for 149 years which means that most Americans are two to three generations removed from slavery. However, former slaveholding families have built their legacies on the institution and generated wealth that African-Americans have not been privy to because enslaved labor was forced; segregation maintained wealth disparities; and overt and covert discrimination limited African-American recovery efforts.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:18 AM

10,483 posts, read 4,046,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're white. If you aren't a person of color in this country, you have no idea what day-to-day life is like for them.
Yep! This is true. My boyfriend is a first generation Haitian. I am a country girl. We bonded because we love to travel, love guns, cars, aviation and we're both in the technology industry. The first time he introduced me to his homeboys, they got on his case about about being a traitor to his race and everything else. When we go out about the town, he is so on edge because he's afraid he'll either be jumped by some racist redneck for being with a white woman, or be slammed by a fellow Black man or woman for dating outside his race. I get kind of upset sometimes, and I wished he would calm down, but I don't live in his skin, and I don't live in his world where every night he has to go back to the otherside of the tracks until he gets his degree and can finally move out. I feel for him every day, talk to him all of the time, hold him and let him know I am there for him, but I have to understand that this is his battle he has to take on. It's bad enough he has to deal with the racists whites, but you got African Americans that are racist towards the Island folks. And then what about the Blacks who are conservative? They get called every name in the book by both sides of the isle because they believe in a conservative basis over a liberal one.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:19 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
What if I'm...

* Non-white, dark complected
* Male
* Usually bearded, most of the time a goatee
* Not as young as I used to be but not an old man
* Tall, was stocky when I was younger
* Been told I have a "gruff" exterior...a scowl

Which trait is responsible for a perceived bad experience with a stranger? Do I just pick one like this family does or how does it work?

I also still dress like I could be a drummer for a Seattle grunge band circa 1992 unless work dictates otherwise.

So maybe it's the clothes when someone doesn't hold a door for me?

Old 02-06-2017, 11:19 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
African-Americans have been free in this country for less time than they were enslaved. Do the math: Blacks have been free for 149 years which means that most Americans are two to three generations removed from slavery. However, former slaveholding families have built their legacies on the institution and generated wealth that African-Americans have not been privy to because enslaved labor was forced; segregation maintained wealth disparities; and overt and covert discrimination limited African-American recovery efforts.
All blacks were not slaves. Many came here a free men.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
I'm not at all surprised by the comments on this thread.

This is why I don't feel one bit bad about insulting "my fellow Americans" level of intelligence, laziness, rudeness, privilege, etc. Its on full display here every single day.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:25 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
It's all excuses.
Jews in USSR suffered from terrible governmental and "regular" antisemitism, half of them was murdered in WW2 and still they were the most educated and non-criminal community in USSR.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:32 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
And I don't care, anymore than you care what it's like to be female of Russian/German and Swiss ancestry.

And you won't hear me whining and bellyaching about it.

If you have it so bad here, feel free to go elsewhere. I won't mind.
Russian and Swiss? It sounds like your ancestors chose to come to this country, so maybe you should be the one going elsewhere if you have a problem with the descendants of the people who were here before you.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:37 AM

379 posts, read 255,341 times
Cry me a river! I've been discriminated against in several situations for being white.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:38 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,279 times
Yes, we all judge each other by our skin color. We all have assumptions of how every race is based on what we see in the news or just stereotypes of each other via what we learned in history class or just living life.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:39 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
Cry me a river! I've been discriminated against in several situations for being white.
Did you forget to check your white privilege?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies