Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 08:21 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
That is one game where one of the best teams played one of the worst. Can't blame people for not watching. The ratings I provided are the over-all Week-4 figures.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
He is wrong anyway. Every article says the ratings were down
No, Trumps tweets claim they are way down, but the truth is that ratings jumped. Trump is fuming.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:25 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times
https://www.google.com/amp/deadline....202181058/amp/

https://m.theepochtimes.com/nfl-rati...n_2321263.html

Old 10-03-2017, 08:29 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Then they should focus on police not on America as a whole.

Why not start by refusing to play in Baltimore?
that's a deflection. THIS IS ALL YOU DO. deflect. They have one issue. You're basically doing "all issues matter". And you people still argue the semantics of how/when/where/what/who to protest. Deflect and argue semantics. All you have. The issue is police brutality.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:32 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The games were sold out, even the one in London with 90 000 people.

Enough of the PC outrage.

Besides, the ratings stuff is Donald Trump fake news. Ratings sky-rocketed on Week-4.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...age/724246001/
Lol...libs quoting FOX to support their position.

No PC outrage here tiger, I'm having more fun watching what's going on than watching an NFL game. It's doubly fun watching libs suddenly jump to the defense of the NFL.

I suspect you know it all ready, but most NFL stadiums are always sold out...that's hardly a surprise...but it's television revenue that keeps these fat-cat athletes in Bentleys and butlers. Without that they go back to driving VW's. Ratings skyrocketed? Exaggerate much? They were up for game here and there. But they were also down for others.

Mixing politics and sports is a volatile combination. The NFL can't win this fight.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
You are arguing in the abstract, of which no one disagree. We are saying that there are APPROPRIATE venues to exercise one's Constitutional rights. Retreating into the abstract means you have no credible rebuttals to being reasonable.
In that case we need to amend the Constitution regarding freedom of speech with the "appropriate venues only" clause.

The obvious question would be who gets to define the "appropriate venue". If its the PC warrior in the white house, the only appropriate venue will be your own basement. He needs to stop taking to North Korea, because he is picking up too much of their ideas, and applying them to US citizens.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
The rest of us were raised with all of above AND respect our neighbors right to disagree, and respect their right to exercise their constitutional rights.
There is a place to exercise your rights. You don't seem to understand that. And I am not saying they do not have a right, nor have I ever suggested they lose their jobs, I simply am saying they are gaining nothing more than a bad reputation and they are all spoiled brats or most are. This is not saying they do not have the right. We have a lot of rights, but that doesn't mean we don't pay the price, from time to time when we express them. I have the right to tell my boss to go to Hell but he has the right to fire me.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:43 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
Since -- not if -- the issue is police brutality, then use something more specific to illustrate that issue. Victims of all sorts of crimes have been elevated to such iconic status. For Asian-Americans, Vincent Chin was so elevated and his victim status helped federal hate crimes legislation.

Since you are willing to characterize me, you seems the sort to think that just because a person is a vet, he must be of lower IQ, uneducated, like country music, prone to 'patriot-baby' talk, drives a pick-up truck that display a Confederate flag, and chew tobacco ?

As the US military is a volunteer force, its human composition reflects the American population. When I was active duty, I knew two men whose family wealth automatically made them millionaires, yet they chose to give the Air Force a few yrs of their lives. There are also testimonies from the Army of enlisted men who came from wealthy families.

But if we veterans are -- as you contemptuously put it -- prone to 'patriot-baby' talk, why do you think so, especially when the US military is as diverse as the population at large ?

Do you really believe that we do not understand what Kaepernick was trying to say ?

Do you really believe that veterans -- as a demographic -- are that stupid ?

What many veterans have been saying -- thru our anger -- is that if you have a grievance against the country with a particular issue, do not use the highest symbol of the land as prop for your statement.

Let me make the issue a little more related to home. Why do people -- particularly men -- get mad if their mothers and sisters are used in personal insults ?

When a business owner looks at the American flag, that symbol represents freedom for entrepreneurship, capitalism, wealth, and comfort for self and family.

When a refugee, as I was once, looks at the American flag, that symbol represents political freedoms in ways that most of the world do not enjoys and that the refugee is more fortunate than most.

Veterans, as a demographic, is no different than any other group in that when we look at the flag, the most emotionally and psychologically significant important items for us comes to the fore. For us, it is sacrifice in ways civilians neither understand nor relate, it is for many of us seeing people die in horrific ways, it suffering physical discomfort that would prompt civilians would sue their employers, it is suffering mental traumas that stays until death, and the list goes on.

Do you really believe that we are that stupid like a baby in spite of what we gone thru ?
your first sentence is semantics. Right out the gate. Still didn't address police brutality. And I didn't call veterans stupid, i said YOU are using patriotic-baby talk..."if you think the whole country is evil..."these overly dramatic buzzword statements that address nothing. YOU don't speak for all veterans. Dare i say, you don't speak for most. The issue is police brutality, not your time in the military. You keep going back to the military thing trying to make it add weight to your stance, because you don't have a real argument on any level. You're arguing your feelings and trying to say "and i'm a vet, so shut up". Time to put you on ignore.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:44 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
In that case we need to amend the Constitution regarding freedom of speech with the "appropriate venues only" clause.

The obvious question would be who gets to define the "appropriate venue". If its the PC warrior in the white house, the only appropriate venue will be your own basement. He needs to stop taking to North Korea, because he is picking up too much of their ideas, and applying them to US citizens.
"Appropriate venues" and "appropriate manner." Also ban uses of the flag or kneeling when standing is called for. Time to make America great again and there are just enough great Americans to help Trump impose these important measures before the subversives take over!

Old 10-03-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Mixing politics and sports is a volatile combination. The NFL can't win this fight.
It seems they have already won. The ratings were supposed to tank, but instead they jumped. They must be rubbing their hairy hands together thinking about all the additional money the protests put in the pockets. So, those predictions were dead wrong, so now the NFL haters say "no, no, no, you have to wait until the end of the season"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies