Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2018, 07:06 AM

88,979 posts, read 44,793,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Was Geithner using offshore banks, like the one in Cyprus, to stash his loot to avoid paying taxes? Did he lie on his tax forms about receiving income for outside the U.S.?
Yes and yes, but not Cyprus. Elsewhere. Geithner did both while living abroad working for the IMF before he was Treasury Secretary. Not only did he do both, he was not prosecuted, and he got to remain Treasury Secretary, which by the way is the head of the IRS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 07:09 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,666,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
If he's guilty, put him in jail. BTW, what is Manafort guilty of besides being Trump’s campaign manager? I get it, he's been tried and convicted in the media and many of you have him lined up for the firing squad. But if a Manafort conviction is such a sure thing, why did Mueller hand him off? In case you folks haven't noticed, the prosecution is doing a ****-poor job. The one thing they have going for them is deep blue Alexandria, land of the Trump haters.
Sounds like you approve of OJ walking the streets and would have him babysitting your kids.....

It's not that he has been tried in the Media. It's the indictment which was based on these "liberal" things called FACTS. It's the evidence and testimony in court...we can read transcripts of it.

Even Manaforts lawyer said today that "he must be innocent because anyone guilty of a crime would have taken more effort to cover these things up".....

If you can read between the lines, Manafort's attorney is saying that his client did those things...but perhaps claims ignorance (no excuse, tho...in the case of clearly doctored bank applications, etc.)....

The question is not whether or not he is guilty at this trial. He surely is. You and I can agree that he might be declared Not Guilty...like OJ and many others who have gotten away with crimes.

But even that doesn't mean he didn't do the actions described. He's a crook any way you look at it. Whether he is a convicted one is up to the jury.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:11 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Default Manafort Case Will Be Thrown Out

No it won't.

He's goin' down.

Hard.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Ultimately, when the “not guilty” verdict rolls in, BB and Mad Jasper will be vindicated and we will have to admit that they were right on the money. I will admit that I was wrong, recognize Manafort’s innocence of these charges, and give credit to those posters in the know.

Of course, if the “guilty” verdict comes in, I assume the converse will be true...
Hmmmm.....I know he is guilty and I wish Justice (which actually does not exist) to be done, but after what I have lived through I won't get vindicated or surprised either way.

He is guilty of those actions. Now...if you believe that the wealthy and connected should be able to hide 10's of millions of income and falsify documents , etc - then you might be "on his side"....

Otherwise, if you are a decent and honorable citizen of these United States, you'd want to see him not get away with taking money from our common SS and Medicare and infrastructure and everything else...

Old 08-04-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You do realize this trial has nothing to do with Trump or Russia
Right, and Al Capone never did anything except forget to declare some income, right?

You'd have to be quite naive to think this has nothing to do with Trump or Russia. After all, the income in dispute is RUSSIAN money.

Now, if you think everything in the universe happens by accident...then you have a point. But we have millions of years of evolution in our minds and bodies which gives us reason and logic. Use it!

Old 08-04-2018, 07:17 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
It came from the time he was working at the IMF.

"International organizations such as the IMF are exempted from Social Security taxes, so U.S. citizens who work there are supposed to pay them as if they are self-employed. Geithner did not."

When it was uncovered in an audit, he took full responsibility and paid $34,023 in back taxes and $8,679 in interest.

"A number of senators, including both Republicans and Democrats, appeared to accept his assertion that he made an innocent error."

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=6704526&page=1

Situation is somewhat different now.

Got anything else, Informed?

Old 08-04-2018, 07:18 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes and yes, but not Cyprus. Elsewhere. Geithner did both while living abroad working for the IMF before he was Treasury Secretary. Not only did he do both, he was not prosecuted, and he got to remain Treasury Secretary, which by the way is the head of the IRS.
Did Geithner stash income in foreign banks to conceal it from Uncle Sam? Can you name these banks? And are you equating income that Geithner received working for the IMF with income Manafort received from his wheeling and dealing?

Old 08-04-2018, 07:22 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Calling it. The judge has no patience for the prosecutorial missteps. It will never reach the jury imho.
Its not going to get thrown out. And if it did it would be retried. The feds don't lose cases that way. Besides that the judge seems to want a fast moving trial. That is the only thing I get from what I have heard.

I know you are a Trumper but seriously why defend scum like Manafort? Why do you care if he goes to trial or not? Are you afraid he has damaging info on Trump?

You are for law and order right? Someone breaks the law they should pay the price yet you seem to want Manafort to get away with what he likely did.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:24 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You do realize this trial has nothing to do with Trump or Russia

Apparently the OP thinks it does.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:28 AM

88,979 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Did Geithner stash income in foreign banks to conceal it from Uncle Sam? Can you name these banks?
They're not my banks. Why would I be able to name them? Just go back and research the scandal. Tax cheat Timmy Geithner failed to pay taxes on his IMF income earned abroad even after signing an IMF document that he was responsible for paying US taxes on that income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies