Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2018, 12:29 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It's not up to a federal guideline. It's up to parents to either be smart enough to raise their children properly or smart enough to not have children in the first place. Perhaps a federal guideline on sterilization of imbeciles would solve the problem?

Sarcasm aside, it's not a problem with school lunches. It's a problem with the general habits and physical activity of the entire population on the whole. We have automated our health away. So keep on dinking with your smartphone all day, drive around in your car all day, sit in your cubicle all day, and sit on your duff gaming all day... and then wonder why people gain too much weight.

I could live off from potato chips, chocolate milk, and McDonalds, and assuming I was getting sufficient exercise during my waking hours and getting a full eight hours of sleep each night, I wouldn't gain a pound. It's all about activity and calorie count, NOT carrot sticks.
It isn't just diet, it is also exercise and I don't think either will solve the problem but why is there outrage over a healthy lunch. I don't hear the same level of complaints regarding recommendations for exercise, what exactly is the downside. I think this has more to do with dislike for Michelle Obama mixed in with some distaste for the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 12:37 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Better than it being thrown in the trashcan.
You can always pack your kids lunch, or take him/her lunch everyday.
Correct. Eliminating waste is the number one thing we should be doing. I'm all for healthy meals, but if the kids wont' eat them -- it does nobody any good.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:42 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Correct. Eliminating waste is the number one thing we should be doing. I'm all for healthy meals, but if the kids wont' eat them -- it does nobody any good.
All the waste in my school in Britain went to feeding pigs, as for out of date produce in the shops it was either reduced or went to the homeless/food banks.

Nothing was wasted. Indeed British prisons often have farms for this precise reason.

As for waste if you read the articles more US School children were actually eating a healthy school diet.

The Trump administration against healthy eating - The Economist

Kids across the US are eating fewer whole grains and more sugary milk in school lunches. See how federal rules have changed for the worse - Business Insider

Old 12-15-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
All the waste in my school in Britain went to feeding pigs, as for out of date produce in the shops it was either reduced or went to the homeless/food banks.

Nothing was wasted. Indeed British prisons often have farms for this precise reason.

As for waste if you read the articles more US School children were actually eating a healthy school diet.

The Trump administration against healthy eating - The Economist

Kids across the US are eating fewer whole grains and more sugary milk in school lunches. See how federal rules have changed for the worse - Business Insider
OK, kudo's to your school. Hopefully this is happening elsewhere.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:57 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,283 times
Millions of Americans grow up with health problems because they eat too much garbage and have poor eating habits, and people wonder why the US has the most expensive healthcare in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It isn't just diet, it is also exercise and I don't think either will solve the problem but why is there outrage over a healthy lunch. I don't hear the same level of complaints regarding recommendations for exercise, what exactly is the downside. I think this has more to do with dislike for Michelle Obama mixed in with some distaste for the government.
Conservatives hate Michelle Obama because she is black. No surprise there.
They constantly refer to her by racist names like mooch and monkey.

But of course they always deny ever being racist or uncivilized.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:04 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
OK, kudo's to your school. Hopefully this is happening elsewhere.
America has loadsof pig farms and a very good agricultural sector, so the waste would be welcome, indeed most school districts could make very good deals and help US pig farmers in the process. US Farmers have already been hurt by tariffs perhaps this could give them something back and the feed would be very good quality.

Although to be honest according to the links I have read, US Children were actually starting to eat more healthy food and more sugar and salt content is not really an ideal situation or policy in other western nations.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:24 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,623,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Millions of Americans grow up with health problems because they eat too much garbage and have poor eating habits, and people wonder why the US has the most expensive healthcare in the world.

yep..that must be it.."Cuz she black"..incredible ignorance is a hallmark of liberal thinking. I weep for the future..as long as liberals embrace the bigotry of low expectations when it comes to black folk. But of course they always deny pandering and being condesending

Old 12-15-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post

Not this conservative. If I was single I'd ask Michelle for a date. But I have serious issues with her politics.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:29 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,130 times
The fact that Michelle Obama's quest to serve our kids healthy lunches was politicized just tells you how far off into the loonie bin the right wing has gone.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:02 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
He was almost tarred and feathered and run out of town in some southern school. IIRC, he was on his own dime showing them how to meet the federal guidelines and stay on budget.
I remember; I really enjoyed watching it. He had cooking classes for the kids that were interested and they seemed to really enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
yep..that must be it.."Cuz she black"..incredible ignorance is a hallmark of liberal thinking. I weep for the future..as long as liberals embrace the bigotry of low expectations when it comes to black folk. But of course they always deny pandering and being condesending
A quick review of the thread title will refresh your memory on conservatives referring to Michelle Obama as anything other than a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies