Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 09:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,846,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
El Al screening involves serious folks with guns who look you in the eye and ask not only if you packed your own bags, but where you packed them. Where have you traveled? Where did you stay? Purpose of your travels? What other Middle Easter countries have you traveled to? Are you carrying a bomb? ...

This was several years ago and as I recall, did not involve taking my shoes off.

I felt safe getting on that plane.
Ben Gurion airport/ Israel had 20.8 million passengers in 2017. In contrast, there were 965 million passengers at the 5000 public airports in the US. This does not include the 14,000 private airports in the US.

There is no right for civilians to bear arms in Israel.

Military conscription is mandatory in Israel.

There is no issue with profiling in Israel.

Ben Gurion is often used by passengers for transiting from an Arab nation to the US and Europe

Everyone is interviewed by an Israeli Intellegence Officer before approaching check in. Your nationality matters. Your visa history matters. Your travel history matters. Your employment matters. Your primary language matters. It all matters.

Everyone is subjected to a full body scan. Depending on the traveler’s profile, bags may be dumped and thoroughly searched and contents swabbed for explosive traces.

Whereas one passenger might breeze through the process, another passenger might experience a very different, more intensive process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 09:16 AM

37,313 posts, read 59,999,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
TSA employees are calling in sick. Could really impact travel for everyone and ultimately bring pressure on Trump to end his shutdown.
Trump doesn't use TSA
He doesn't feel any impact
He is innured from what real people feel...

Old 01-05-2019, 09:19 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,846,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
They also use people with degrees in criminology, rather than people off the streets with no better job prospects like we do here.

Part of the reason why flying to Israel is so expensive.....but well worth it.
Nearly everything Israel related is more expensive than the US.

The 70+ year “generosity” of the US in terms of military equipment financial aid enables Israel to divert a portion of their high income taxes tonprovide Universal Healthcare including birth control and abortion to their citizens. It takes the position if your religious or personal beliefs don’t include birth control and/ or abortion, then don’t use/ do it.

Israelis generally seem to respect those who make careers out of securing Ben Gurion airport.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:21 AM

4,265 posts, read 3,190,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Airlines providing their own security? That worked great on 9-11.
And how many terrorists have been identified by the TSA?

Old 01-05-2019, 09:26 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,308,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
They probably all vote Democrat anyway, so who cares?
Those rust belt Trumpers be hankering for refunds to boot, we all know it.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:28 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,280,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
He doesn't have to sign it. The power of the veto ... it goes back, they vote then done deal. May be after this President the people in this country will see, just how congress was suppose to be running things all along, but didn't, cause having a president just sign whatever, was easier. Now they have to work. lol

Except that the House did not pass their bill with anywhere near the number of votes needed to override.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:29 AM

63,089 posts, read 29,284,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Those rust belt Trumpers be hankering for refunds to boot, we all know it.

Childish reference to your fellow Americans. Grow up!

Old 01-05-2019, 09:34 AM

6,131 posts, read 8,005,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
I don't live in the USA bro, so I have no use for PreCheck.
I see. So you don’t live in the US but you spend all your traveling time IN the US? Maybe that is the case, but even if it is you have no business complaining about our security systems.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Said it before in other threads - if you want to solve this issue in about 2 hours, all that needs to happen is for TSA workers to walk off the job or not show up to work en masse because they can't afford food on the table or don't have the money to travel to get to work. The entire airline industry would be paralyzed and the general public would finally feel real tremendous pain as a consequence for the political theater going on in DC. The public wouldn't last more than 20 minutes if ALL flights were canceled because no one is working at airports.

That won't put food on their table, it will cost them their jobs. And give Trump the "national emergency" he needs.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Personally, I think TSA is a royal PITA, and a waste of time and resources.

I fly around 80,000 miles a year, give or take 10,000 miles. I go through airports and security checks so much, that often times I play with the security by leaving my laptop inside my carry on luggage. Even though this laptop will be blatantly visible on any X-ray vision, half the time they don't even catch it. The other half they do and ask me to remove it.

50% is basically bad enough with something as obvious and visible as a laptop. If you think TSA is buying you any security at the airport, you should think again.

Or maybe they catch it 100% but 50% of the screeners have common sense and know a laptop is not any more dangerous inside your bag. It's not like they ever turn it on and check it out anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies