Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 08:01 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
No it's certainly not the Dems fault in those states. But it is more than just need for cheap labor although that is a component. One reason is competitive advantage or disadvantage. States and regions are competing to attract and retain business. If Texas adopted strict e-Verify and California didn't - or vice versa - one would be putting themselves at a competitive disadvantage. We really need to mandate it at the federal level.
I don't see that as relevant.

You can buy a 4,000 sq ft McMansion in Texas for 300K, but my daughters 900 foot shack in Oakland is worth 750K.

Those two states are very far apart in just about every way and there is no need to regard one or the other as competing - both have plenty of resources, both natural and human. They are different.

I think there are historical differences at play which help understand a little of it. Texas was a slave state. Then it was "won" by nasty wars and skirmishes where they chased out (or otherwise corralled) much of the original native (Mexican) population and enslaved african americans and mexicans (not officially slaves, but low-wage slaves) to so their work for them.

California was different in the sense of being a free state - and "libertine" from the very start. What people might call "liberal" today was always the way in California.
un culture
In a sense both states are true to their past. Texas was/is controlled by the big resource money which ended up starting and financing what we call the Right Wing in America today. Part of that movement is stuff like abolishment of taxation, abolishment of even the minimum wage, lack of health care, gun culture, lack of pollution standards, etc. - Texas also has the largest uninsured pop. in the USA), etc.

California is very different - and MUCH more expensive with or without illegal workers. I haven't looked up the proof, but my take is that California undocs may be much higher compensated in all ways than Texas...due to the "liberal" attitudes.

$12 min wage in CA.
$7.25 in Texas.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...ge-workers-far
"Texas still has the most minimum wage workers in the U.S., many more than runner-up Florida, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics."

Sadly, I think it is as simple as Texas business and politics want to TAKE all they can and have others foot the bill.

Why shouldn't Texas just pass a $10 min. wage and e-verify in one fell swoop and prove they have the economic engine to survive without abusing entire classes of people?

Last edited by craigiri; 01-06-2019 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 08:03 PM

1,743 posts, read 991,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
2/3 of the border that run through Texas is on privately owned lands. Do you support the federal government seizing those privately owned lands to build a wall not even the majority of Texans want?
Let me guess?
Public schools?
No history?

The Roosevelt Reservation is a 60-foot (18 m) strip of land on the United States side of the United States-Mexico Border under the jurisdiction of the United States Federal Government.

It was established in a 1907 Presidential Proclamation (35 Stat. 2136) by Theodore Roosevelt in order to keep the land "free from obstruction as a protection against the smuggling of goods between the United States and Mexico"

It is an 'Easement' running the full length of our border, with plenty of room for a big beautiful wall!

Old 01-06-2019, 08:08 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,620,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Good Lord, why do people refuse to hear what is being said? LIBERALS DON'T WANT OPEN BORDERS!
Right..liberals want millions of illegal democrat voters..a border wall makes that impossible

Old 01-06-2019, 08:11 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,796,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Right..liberals want millions of illegal democrat voters..a border wall makes that impossible
I give up.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:13 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,620,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
2/3 of the border that run through Texas is on privately owned lands. Do you support the federal government seizing those privately owned lands to build a wall not even the majority of Texans want?
Please post a link showing that "most" Texans dont want it

Old 01-06-2019, 08:26 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,536,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It's called compromise.

Might come as a surprise to you, but that is how government works.
Oh geez, thanks for explaining everything. Lemme guess...it’s the Democrats who aren’t compromising, right? All they have to do is agree to fund the wall.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:28 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I don't see that as relevant.

You can buy a 4,000 sq ft McMansion in Texas for 300K, but my daughters 900 foot shack in Oakland is worth 750K.

Those two states are very far apart in just about every way and there is no need to regard one or the other as competing - both have plenty of resources, both natural and human. They are different.

Sadly, I think it is as simple as Texas business and politics want to TAKE all they can and have others foot the bill.

Why shouldn't Texas just pass a $10 min. wage and e-verify in one fell swoop and prove they have the economic engine to survive without abusing entire classes of people?

I think you're naive if you think companies don't look at such factors when deciding where to do business. Did you not just see Amazon shopping around? I'm not saying regulatory compliance or labor cost is the only or even deciding factor but it is a factor.

I am all for Texas passing mandatory e-verify for all and have sent emails to my reps saying so. But what objection would you have to it being done at the federal level? It could probably be implemented much easier and faster that way since the feds already impose nationwide requirements on all employers like federal IRS filings and FICA withholdings. Simply make E-verify a component of the setup process for one of those. It might not even require a new "law", just administratively add a rule to an existing process.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:29 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,084,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Oh geez, thanks for explaining everything. Lemme guess...it’s the Democrats who aren’t compromising, right? All they have to do is agree to fund the wall.

Pretty much.

Trump wants a mere 5.7 billion.

If they were smart, Dems could get DACA in exchange for it.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
How do you compromise with a big baby that says I want a wall or I keep the government closed? He doesn't care about anything or anyone but himself and money and power.

You asked for something that you want in return .....that's the way it works.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Trump had a compromise deal in front of him a year ago, one that he himself proposed, but then he changed his mind and refused to sign it. And then two weeks ago he said he was ready to compromise again, but then when Fox and Ann Coulter criticized him, he declared he would only take his wall, or nothing.

He has no backbone, he does whatever the Fox pundits tell him to do. He is a weak president which is terrible for government because Congress cannot trust him when he has to ask permission from Hannity, Coulter and the other right wing nutters before he can sign anything.

The situation has changed now with Democrats taking the house . He knows that the deal is only going to get so good.

Right now 5.7 billion or even less allocated towards some type of barrier not necessarily a wall, so it could make Trump at least appear that he's getting some of what he wants .....would reopen the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies