Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 11:49 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,758,698 times

Advertisements

Trump is correct. His base would support him even if he shot somebody in broad daylight on fifth Ave . The only difference between a banana republic and our democracy is faith in the system . When we start to lose that faith we are in trouble. If our president can behave like this and his own supporters won't rebuke him we have a crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 12:59 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
His own supporters? Try the Republican party.

Republicans just voted to allow sanctions eased on the companies of Oleg Deripaska, a Kremlin connected oligarch mentioned in the Manafort indictment.

Typically, sanctions are eased when certain conditions are met. That didn't happen here.

Romney, for all his big talk, was one of 57 Republicans dancing to Putin's tune here.

Trump and McConnell are keeping this shutdown going and you got to wonder who is telling them to do it as it's got nothing to do with American people or Trump's bogus border crisis.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:25 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Seems I've heard this every month since he came into office. Who cares?
Trump cares, mightily.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:05 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,847,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
It takes two to tango. The dems are refusing to negotiate. Dems care about illegal aliens instead of American citizens.

If they cared about their furloughed constituents, then they should be coming to the table to work on a compromise. They wanted Trump to end the shutdown and then talk about border security later. Trump was smart not to trust the dems as they have proven themselves to be unworthy of trust. Reagan (whom I was no fan of) believed the promises dems made in order to get the 1986 amnesty. Once the amnesty happened, dems reneged on every promise they made. They promised that the border would be secured (it never has been secured); 2) They said that the 1986 amnesty would be the one and only amnesty to ever happen (there have been several stealth amnesties since then); and 3) They promised that no illegal would ever be able to find a job (currently we have 8 million no-match SSNs in the workforce).

It's not just Trump who isn't "budging". The dems aren't "budging" either.
There is too much at stake here. Republican senators need to step up to the plate and urge Mitch to call for votes. Trump needs to get off his high horse and bend a little. He is calling people back to work without pay. Why not stop this impasse and compromise.

I agree, the Democrats need to bend, also. Where are the adults in this situation. Security in our country is compromised.

Here is a plan. Agree to the money, than start impeachment proceedings or article 25. Trump listening to Anne Coulter and Rush Limbaugh is way out of line. I still think trump is in stages of dementia. JMO

Old 01-17-2019, 05:03 AM

717 posts, read 453,411 times
Trump will deliver a moving State of the Union address, about keeping America great and how the jobs numbers are historic heights, whether invited or uninvited

And then he will get a boost of 10% points in approval ratings, a standing ovation, and people will almost forget the Govt is still shut down

Old 01-17-2019, 06:00 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
Trump will deliver a moving State of the Union address, about keeping America great and how the jobs numbers are historic heights, whether invited or uninvited

And then he will get a boost of 10% points in approval ratings, a standing ovation, and people will almost forget the Govt is still shut down
Actually I almost prefer he sent it in letter format to congress, then give the SotU from the Oval Office. Pelosi made a ridiculous comment about security concerns yesterday and postponing, I feel like she is really grasping straws for anyone who will listen.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:39 AM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
There is too much at stake here. Republican senators need to step up to the plate and urge Mitch to call for votes. Trump needs to get off his high horse and bend a little. He is calling people back to work without pay. Why not stop this impasse and compromise.

I agree, the Democrats need to bend, also. Where are the adults in this situation. Security in our country is compromised.

Here is a plan. Agree to the money, than start impeachment proceedings or article 25. Trump listening to Anne Coulter and Rush Limbaugh is way out of line. I still think trump is in stages of dementia. JMO

So Coulter and Limbaugh expressed their opinions and that means without a doubt that Trump didn't make his own decision but it was all based on what they said? Why do you and yours continue to repeat this nonsense when there is no proof of that whatsoever. Both of those people are outspoken on all issues. You guys are just grasping at straws as usual to demonize Trump. Get over yourselves.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:56 AM

"People make their decision over what's the biggest loss," according to Former FBI hostage negotiator Chris Voss. "And, until he's really worried about the loss of his base, he's not going to make a deal."

According to Voss, Pelosi and Schumer are smart to remain calm and steadfast in their refusal to give in to Trump's demands.

"They've just decided they're going to have to buckle up, and they're going to have to bear down, and they're going to have to survive this. This is a storm and they've got to ride out the storm. And, I think that's the smartest move."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/17/ex-f...own-talks.html

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 01-17-2019 at 07:15 AM..

Old 01-17-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post

Republican Senators just voted to ease sanctions on the companies of the Kremlin-connected Oleg Deripaska.

They've been bought and paid for. Chances of them stepping up to the plate are slim.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 01-17-2019 at 07:15 AM..

Old 01-17-2019, 07:03 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,989,854 times
Pelosi just like her do nothing democrat predecessors before. Take a vacation while the country goes to hell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies