Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2019, 09:05 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It would be a huge hit to Women's health, and the ultimate end of the Republican Party's support from most women. Abortions aren't funded by federal dollars, but the treatment of perforated uterus, infections, and multiple other injuries certainly will be covered by public health dollars for a number of people.
This almost guarantees that the next president will be a woman or at least a normal, sympathetic man.

Anyway, volunteers in several states and Canada are going to offer assistance on social media. Women need to do all they can to protect their rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 09:06 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,241,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
So why is it so important to these Louisiana, West Virginia, and Georgia religious conservatives that SCOTUS make abortion illegal in California and New York???? Because I know and you know that is the ultimate goal.
Same way California and New York try to force their wacko beliefs on the rest of the country. That’s politics.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:24 AM

15,527 posts, read 10,495,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Same way California and New York try to force their wacko beliefs on the rest of the country. That’s politics.
Different states, different beliefs. I still don't see why one should control the other. If the people of Alabama want a strict law, so be it. If California wants a liberal law, so be it. Why are we telling each other what to do. Majority rule, we can always move. I think Alabama's law is way too harsh, but it's their call.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:25 AM

39,219 posts, read 27,589,701 times
In some states, probably.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:33 AM

18,052 posts, read 15,653,675 times
Because federal laws do exist and by law (46 years in existence) an individual state cannot impose their beliefs on individuals nor legislate those beliefs. An individual has the right to their beliefs and decisions affecting their bodies, in conjunction with their doctors.

Red states want to 'own' women and their bodies and control what a woman can/can't do. That goes against constitutional rights.

But do feel free to move to Pakistan where they will be only too happy to control everything you do and punish and your family for any perceived infraction.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:41 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Different states, different beliefs. I still don't see why one should control the other. If the people of Alabama want a strict law, so be it. If California wants a liberal law, so be it. Why are we telling each other what to do. Majority rule, we can always move. I think Alabama's law is way too harsh, but it's their call.
Why should states have the right to tell a person what medical procedures they can have, or what legal medications they can take?

The majority does not get to vote on rights, like the right to privacy, or liberty without due process. If I do not have liberty of making basic decisions about my body for myself what liberty do I have? If the state can control a womans medical decisions, what's to stop them from requiring vasectomies, or forced organ donation to save a life?

Old 05-18-2019, 09:48 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Why should states have the right to tell a person what medical procedures they can have, or what legal medications they can take?

The majority does not get to vote on rights, like the right to privacy, or liberty without due process. If I do not have liberty of making basic decisions about my body for myself what liberty do I have? If the state can control a womans medical decisions, what's to stop them from requiring vasectomies, or forced organ donation to save a life?
Progressive eugenicists got forced sterilization laws passed in the 20th century, in fact.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:53 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Progressive eugenicists got forced sterilization laws passed in the 20th century, in fact.
And that was outlawed since it is not legal to force someone against their will to have or not have a medical procedure. By changing the right to privacy and removing the right of women to make their own medical decisions, what's to stop forcing others to have medical procedures against their will?

BTW the first eugenics sterilization law was passed in Indiana, A bastion of progressiveness.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:55 AM

I think returning the decision to the states on abortion would really be the best outcome long term. This a deeply divisive issue and it's not cut and dry who opposes it or supports it. https://news.gallup.com/poll/244709/...ic-tables.aspx

This issue, along with gun control, could quite literally tear this country apart if there isn't some sort of compromise between the two extremes. Returning it a state decision could be the right compromise. Alabama's law has about the same purpose as the laws passed by states like NY protecting abortion. It's about legislative warfare against the other side. It's a dangerous game for this country, it's essentially the same as what happened in response to slavery in the 1850's. Abortion is a similar argument over morality. Biologically, the unborn are human. Personhood is a legal concept related to rights and science will never settle questions of morality or ethics or law. At what point a human is a person is the debate. In the 1850's the question was are people of all races persons with rights. That question brought this country to civil war and this present one could as well.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And that was outlawed since it is not legal to force someone against their will to have or not have a medical procedure. By changing the right to privacy and removing the right of women to make their own medical decisions, what's to stop forcing others to have medical procedures against their will?
The SCOTUS has never overturned the Buck v Bell decision which says it's constitutional to forcibly sterilize someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies