Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2019, 09:50 AM

37,224 posts, read 19,225,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Earth to 'enviro'-gadget heads: Wishing doesn't make it as practical as liquid fuel.

https://www.infowars.com/video-tesla...tric-vehicles/
Currently, yes, that is the case. A lot of new charging stations are being built across the country, however, and batteries are getting much better. Electric automobiles are the wave of the future and will all but replace internal combustion engines, just as surely as the gas buggies replaced those with horses attached.

Remember - when fossil fuel burning automobiles first became popular, there were no filling stations. The network had to be built from scratch. In the meantime, motorists carried cans of fuel with them.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:53 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You guys are responding to an infowars article, which means that you can guarantee that they are misleading, cherrypicking or witholding information (or all of the above plus of course the making it up out of thin air options. ).

These are the same people that spoke of the DC earthquake as a nuclear test, a power plant in Iowa had a nuclear meltdown and of course all that Fukushima radiation that would wreak havoc on the west coast...oh and the pizza parlor basement that doesn't exist.

Responding to an infowars post is like seeing a stray dog that has rolled in poop and then deciding to pet it.
I agree with you, except perhaps that pizza parlor basement thing.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:53 AM

37,224 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The first electric car was in 1890. How much time do you think they need.
In 1911, an electric automobile managed over 100 miles on one charge. Electricity was as new as the internal combustion engine, then. If charging stations had been built instead of gas stations, we might have an entirely different picture today.

The gasoline engines were heavily promoted by the big oil companies. That probably didn't hurt their popularity.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:57 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Earth to 'enviro'-gadget heads: Wishing doesn't make it as practical as liquid fuel.

https://www.infowars.com/video-tesla...tric-vehicles/
Don't fret--they are expanding.

And that particular station has a 5-star review on Yelp, so people seem to love it.

https://ww.electrek.co/2019/11/13/te...v3-technology/

https://www.yelp.com/biz/tesla-super...kettleman-city

Old 12-03-2019, 10:07 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,837,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
All excellent points. To the last one. My Electric Utility mandates that I be a customer and attached to their grid. My neighbor is a licensed union electrician in which his bother, another licensed union electrician share the home. They bought the solar panels wholesale and installed the entire system themselves. They had no choice to stay connect to the electric utility because the solar panels weren't enough to power the home and are too intermittent but also because the utility mandated they be connected. They estimate their payback to be 15 years even installing the system AT COST.
So? That's one datapoint. The ROI for any particular solar installation depends on many parameters, including where you live, how much electricity you use and whether your electric company has net metering and others. For example, if your installation is in the shade and you only use 10-cents of electricity a day then your ROI is going to be infinite and probably not worth doing. Fortunately you can calculate your ROI pretty much to the penny these so there are no surprises.

Our commercial solar installation that I paid list price for is already half paid off in 2.5 years, and on track for a total 5 year payoff. Our PG&E bill is zero. Nada. And that includes nightly charging of our Volt. The Volt runs 50 miles on a charge which suffices for our normal day-to-day driving. Got that? We have a 5 year ROI on our system, and then it's free energy for home and car for life.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:10 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Wonder how much a battery fluid change costs ? And it is suggested every 50k miles...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/atta...14-jpg.289511/
I think that is just for cooling the batteries, just like radiator coolant for gasoline engines. Battery use in an EV heats them up, and they need to be kept cool or bad things can happen.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
So? That's one datapoint. The ROI for any particular solar installation depends on many parameters, including where you live, how much electricity you use and whether your electric company has net metering and others. For example, if your installation is in the shade and you only use 10-cents of electricity a day then your ROI is going to be infinite and probably not worth doing. Fortunately you can calculate your ROI pretty much to the penny these so there are no surprises.

Our commercial solar installation that I paid list price for is already half paid off in 2.5 years, and on track for a total 5 year payoff. Our PG&E bill is zero. Nada. And that includes nightly charging of our Volt. The Volt runs 50 miles on a charge which suffices for our normal day-to-day driving. Got that? We have a 5 year ROI on our system, and then it's free energy for home and car for life.
And we taxpayers paid you a thousands in tax subsides to purchase both the car and your solar panels. And that does not count the tax cuts and subsides the manufactures received to research and build your car and panels.

You're welcome.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
In 1911, an electric automobile managed over 100 miles on one charge. Electricity was as new as the internal combustion engine, then. If charging stations had been built instead of gas stations, we might have an entirely different picture today.

The gasoline engines were heavily promoted by the big oil companies. That probably didn't hurt their popularity.
Very few people even had electricity in 1911, and most had to wait past the 1940s. If we had relied on electric cars for the automobile boom, it never would have happened.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Tesla test drove one of its cars in California just recently. It drove continuously and only stopped for recharges and maintenance, such replace tires, brakes etc. It drove for 340,000 miles with only a 9% degradation of its batteries.
Nice weather in California. I wonder how that car would prevail in harsh Wisconsin winters.

A friend of mine at work has a Volt, he drives it in the warmer weather and uses our companies free charging stations. He does not drive it in the colder winter months.

BTW, I asked, but our CEO won't give me free gasoline for my car, even though it's parked next to my coworker's Volt.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:26 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I think that is just for cooling the batteries, just like radiator coolant for gasoline engines. Battery use in an EV heats them up, and they need to be kept cool or bad things can happen.
You are correct. I watched the guys on the Rich Rebuilds youtube channel do this. It's fun watching those guys tear down and rebuild Tesla's. The future of backyard mechanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies