Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2019, 01:21 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Where did the $649 Billion number come from? No way that is anywhere near true.
From the link:

Quote:
The study includes the negative externalities caused by fossil fuels that society has to pay for, not reflected in their actual costs. In addition to direct transfers of government money to fossil fuel companies, this includes the indirect costs of pollution, such as healthcare costs and climate change adaptation. By including these numbers, the true cost of fossil fuel use to society is reflected.
So, basically whatever someone cared to pull out of their azz to lay blame at the petro industry.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:21 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,556,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Hydrogen fuel cell cars have a serious issues with scaling. We may see this in arenas where long distance driving is needed. Buses, transport delivery, etc. I don't see it being used on a mass scale. You have some issues with transportation of fuel and storage, especially in more urban areas. Plus hydrogen fuel cells are less efficient than EVs.

Other issues are that storing hydrogen as a gas is expensive and energy intensive and even more if storage at cryogenic temperatures is needed. It is highly flammable, tends to escape containment and reacts with metals in a way than renders them more brittle and prone to breakage. Although hydrogen is abundant, isolating hydrogen can be quite a process, and transport and storage is pretty expensive. I can see this being used in long distance situations, but not for the average consumer.

You have to think, with automated driving, the need for owning a personal car will go down, thus it wouldn't make too much sense to invest heavily in auto related infrastructure (roads and expensive fueling centers/ with exception of interstate transport and long trips). Granted, we will see how long the adoption process to driverless vehicles take.

I do recognize it has the advantages for energy to weight ratio over lithium ion batteries. It's just when you start to factor in all of the other issues, it could limit it as far as scaling goes.
There is only one fuel (well, two versions, actually) that perfectly fits all situations, i.e. long range, medium range, local, iin-city, cross country, cold weather, hot weather, and that is petroleum, i.e. gas and diesel. It meets ALL NEEDS perfectly. Concentrated, liquid (no compression of gaseous fuel required), easily stored and powerful (especially diesel) works for small, medium, large and ultra-large (container ships, for example) vehicles as well as aircraft. The universal energy source.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:25 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
A Volt should be no issues in the winter. I'm actually trying to talk the wife into trading her Cadillac in for one...to offset the fuel costs my gas guzzler truck causes. And we are in Michigan.
Why? In the winter, running a heater, EVs take a 40% hit on range-just due to powering the heater. Now, ditch the "low rolling resistance" tires that EVs use to extend range and put on some that are actually safe to drive on ice and snow and the drop is even worse. You might get 20 miles of battery range. Why bother to save what, $1.50 a day vs a comparable size gas car? Add to the fact that (AFAIK) there was never a AWD Volt and it looks even worse. Want to save money? Get a Equinox AWD diesel. 50mpg, 600 mile range and AWD.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:29 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
From the link:

So, basically whatever someone cared to pull out of their azz to lay blame at the petro industry.

Thank you for confirming it is a totally made up number.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:32 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Why? In the winter, running a heater, EVs take a 40% hit on range-just due to powering the heater. Now, ditch the "low rolling resistance" tires that EVs use to extend range and put on some that are actually safe to drive on ice and snow and the drop is even worse. You might get 20 miles of battery range. Why bother to save what, $1.50 a day vs a comparable size gas car? Add to the fact that (AFAIK) there was never a AWD Volt and it looks even worse. Want to save money? Get a Equinox AWD diesel. 50mpg, 600 mile range and AWD.
Why...because I'm hoping she hates it, then my nice new truck can sit in the garage and I can drive the Volt the three times a week I go into the office.

Yeah, that isn't going to happen, she already said an Equinox is high on her list. On the website right now and there isn't a diesel option for the 2020 models.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:48 PM

2,495 posts, read 868,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
I've always found that playing the Infowars card is the last resort of those with no real arguments to make. It's lame in the extreme.
"Playing the Infowars card" is a duty and a responsibility, and an honor. The video it links on the page I provided is Facebook and Twitter footage, and says so. I could have simply linked to those for you.

But I learned about those two links from Infowars. You can too. [via Infowars.com]

If anything more commentators here need to give that site credit when they learn from it. It is in peril now because Hillary lost, it was instrumental in that loss, and its detractors want it shut down, and incommunicado like another one of its hyperarticulate--and too effective--former employees, Roger Stone.

It is under siege. If it isn't explicitly supported and linked, there is a real chance it may not exist in the not too distant future. Then you'll have a real vacuum of information.

Last edited by eastriver; 12-03-2019 at 02:03 PM..

Old 12-03-2019, 02:07 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Hydrogen? Millions of Hindenburgs driving around on the roads. Hmm, what could go wrong?
They said the same thing about millions of people driving around with gasoline engines, but hydrogen still isn't the future. If anything CNG is the gas option.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:16 PM

8,386 posts, read 4,372,592 times
When demand exceeds supply, supply ramps up and many times, competition results in lower prices.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:18 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
So? The US spent $649 billion in fossil fuel subsidies in 2017 which is more than the entire defense budget, and 4x more than we spend on education. And that figure continues to grow, not shrink. So cry me a river.
I have seen people parrot that line before. Allowing oil, gas and mining companies to claim depreciation on their taxes is not subsides. Giving away grants and free money to green energy companies and their customers, that's subsides.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:22 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Fortunately today, we have the means to produce electricity cheaply and efficiently. The time of electric personal transportation has come.
For a small few, who can take early advantage right now, and can afford to shell out the money to add a charging station at home and buy an electric car, sure. However, we as a nation cannot handle it on a massive scale, we do not have the infrastructure for that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies