Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2020, 06:18 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm disingenuous? Nothing I've said was dishonest. I said you have a right to have a Robert E Lee statue on your property. The Constitution guarantees it. It does not guarantee that other people won't react violently to it. Now, said persons have committed a crime and you can defend your property. Just the same, this is what I have to say. Robert E. Lee isn't banned. However, many people hate Robert E. Lee.
Point is that you can't put a Robert E Lee statue on your property these days or a Confederate flag. Can't be done. All it's going to do is upset people.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:27 PM

6,993 posts, read 2,705,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
They are monuments to and reminders of white supremacy.
So are NAZI death camps in Germany.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:34 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
They are monuments to and reminders of white supremacy.
All the more reason they shouldn't be given any place of honor in the public space. Put them in a museum to remind the world of how screwed up the South was up to the 1960s. Educate people. However, they don't deserve a place of honor.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
And do you hope one day a jewish dad can sit with his kids at the base of a hitler statue telling them the same thing?
The difference is the Germans are embarrassed of their history during the NAZI regime. The southern states are not. It's not like they have to be erected in Times Square NY.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:35 PM

18,495 posts, read 9,161,666 times
According to the secession documents of (at least) one of the seceding states, the plantation owning elites were angry that slavery might not be allowed in the new western territories. They weren’t even content to keep slavery where it already existed. They wanted to expand it.

In Lincoln’s 1861 inaugural address, he said he had no intention of trying to abolish slavery where it already existed. Lincoln was more of a “free soil” person than an abolitionist. The mere limiting of the spread of slavery was unacceptable to the plantation-owning elites, apparently.

I don’t know why anyone would want to identify with the Confederate cause. It is obviously horrible.

I am descended mainly from Germans. I can recognize the positive contributions Germany has made to the world, while also acknowledging that the Nazi regime was horrible. That period of German history is utterly shameful. There are no statues in modern Germany glorifying Hitler, nor should there be.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
I’m pro-leave me alone.
You're from California and you live in Wyoming. Explain why removing those Confederate statues is an affront to you.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:37 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Lee did not want any of it, not like this, regarding statues.

At that, everyone should thank Lee they he had such respect, that the CSA actually listened to him and ceased operations. It could have easily been one of those decades long, if not still going on, insurgency and resemble those far off places we read about engaged in what seems constant warfare, Turkey-Kurds for example.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Agreed. There is no reason to pay tribute to traitors and terrorists.
The only reason I can see for anyone wanting to pay tribute to Confederates is this: They see Blacks as inferiors and they wanted to see slavery last forever.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The only reason I can see for anyone wanting to pay tribute to Confederates is this: They see Blacks as inferiors and they wanted to see slavery last forever.

Let us know when Kenya sends its first rocket to the moon or even build its first automobile.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
These statues are, and always have been, about celebrating the southern way of life, and those who fought to preserve it, and inherent in that was slavery. Whether anyone admits it or not, they are celebrating slavery with these statues, and I say that with respect for the fighting spirit, cunning, and bravery of those Confederate generals. They were masterful against an opponent with three times the men and material.

But they lost, and their cause was unjust. Statues outside of a courthouse where people of all races visit, oftentimes disproportionately black? C'mon man. It's 2020.
The southern way of life, up to that point, was about slavery. The southern way of life could not exist without it. Slavery greased the wheels of the economy. Slavery was also a matter of social order for the South. People who benefited were not about to give it up.

When it comes to the southern way of life, there is something I see: Very rarely does anyone ask Black people what the southern way of life means to them. Hardly anyone asks, in spite of the fact that a majority of the Black population lives in the South.

The Confederacy might have had some great generals. However, it's no secret that their cause was a very unjust one. It's not even a dirty little secret. Some people just don't want to do better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies