Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2020, 10:43 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,968,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Yup... MIL lives in Houston which has experience the increase. She had been mentioning it since before the protests. She was actually in support for reopening... the issue was the manner in which they did open...
One thing with states like Arizona and Texas is governors are throwing their weight around wanting the states to be reopen. They are overstepping the mayor's and preventing mayor's from making restrictions to keep people safe. But yet when Gov Cuomo or Newsome did that in New York the other way, everybody loses their minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 10:49 AM

1,655 posts, read 1,121,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
The uptick right now is not due to protests, it’s due to the states opening and in large part Memorial Day weekend. In the coming weeks, the increase will be due to protests and states relaxing rules.
People have literally been protesting for over 2 weeks. With a mean incubation time of 5 days, thats definitely playing a factor far more than the pool party in the Ozarks.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Bingo. There's too many Covidiots out there continuing to politicize this, feed off their tin foil hat paranoia over "the man" controlling me, and selfish rectums that could care less if someone's kid catches this. The same goes for those idiot protestors that bring their children into harms way. There's too many morons out there and it's an embarrassment. Ignorance isn't bliss and we could have stopped this carnage early on. You want the economy to recover? Stop the virus. We all have the power to do it, yet, belief systems are more important? Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. Stupid is as stupid does.
The problem here with this is we cannot have both a healthy economy and stopping the spread of the virus. Many people think it isn't as dangerous so we need to reopen and get people back to work. The problem is by people getting back to work, we expose more people. The more positive cases, the more hospitalizations will happen. The issue is we can't keep our heads in the preverbial sand until hospital are about to be overrun or are in fact overrun. This was what happened in New York largely due to European spread of the virus.

Until we have a vaccine, we will not fully reopen. We will we have periods where we do try to swim to the nearest boats and tread water to conserve ourselves. This is largely because our Captain ran us into an iceberg and the US is sinking like the Titanic. I hate to sound so dramatic but I can't describe Covid-19 any other way.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:52 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 5 days ago)

16,099 posts, read 21,231,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
I would argue, given my profession, that I know how masks work considerably better than you do. The cloth masks, which are the majority of the masks you'll see worn, provide almost no viral protection. They can prevent people from touching their mouths and they can reduce the area you contaminate, but that's about it.

We're not talking about a situation where people are walking around with M95 or even legitimate surgical masks.
That's about it? As if that's not important to getting a handle on the spread of any disease? Wow.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:53 AM

1,066 posts, read 632,355 times
God all this propaganda people are believing, every if it is 1/4 of a 1% that isn't worth wrecking the country for the other 99.75% ... honestly just isn't, I won't wear mask, I don't wash hands or do anything extra that I wasn't doing before, if I get it I get it, and il be free of it 2 weeks later. If you are so afraid and demanding that we (me and others) wear mask, get over yourself, you wear the mask and you stay home.

its my life, you have yours. control your other actions to limit your own exposure. IMO faster the population gets it sooner we have immunity and sooner we can get it off the news and wait for something more exciting to pop up. people are glued to this ****.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:54 AM

42,002 posts, read 75,373,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Your life do not matter to me
This is a sad illustration of what's wrong with America.

Quote:
I would argue, given my profession, that I know how masks work considerably better than you do. The cloth masks, which are the majority of the masks you'll see worn, provide almost no viral protection. They can prevent people from touching their mouths and they can reduce the area you contaminate, but that's about it.

We're not talking about a situation where people are walking around with M95 or even legitimate surgical masks.
LMAO.

A)You don't know my profession; B) you are correct that masks reduce the area we contaminate, and that is exactly why we should wear them; and C) isn't it N95 masks? For someone in your "profession", shouldn't you know that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Bingo. There's too many Covidiots out there continuing to politicize this, feed off their tin foil hat paranoia over "the man" controlling me, and selfish rectums that could care less if someone's kid catches this. The same goes for those idiot protestors that bring their children into harms way. There's too many morons out there and it's an embarrassment. Ignorance isn't bliss and we could have stopped this carnage early on. You want the economy to recover? Stop the virus. We all have the power to do it, yet, belief systems are more important? Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. Stupid is as stupid does.
I love this post.

As for ignorance being bliss: If that's so, there must be an awful lot of happy people around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Every COVID19 death from here on out is 100% due to the tantrum-throwing spoiled brat liberals who are protesting, along with anyone who votes Democrat and enables their antics.
There's a real non-sequitur. When did schools stop teaching the pitfalls of logical fallacies?

Old 06-13-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
People have literally been protesting for over 2 weeks. With a mean incubation time of 5 days, thats definitely playing a factor far more than the pool party in the Ozarks.
Rates on Arizona were trending up starting last week with the first Phoenix protests being about Wednesday last week, and it only got a fever pitch this week. The problem with your comment about the pool party is if everyone was tested was how many were asymptomatic at the party and how many got co-workers, family members, etc. sick when they came back. That is the scary thing regardless of where you got sick whether it is a Gridlock protest, a Floyd protest, a party, a school, a funeral a theme park or a political rally.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:56 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,091,885 times
So the protesting we should see MASSIVE spikes in WAshington DC area, Minneapolis right?

Old 06-13-2020, 10:57 AM

445 posts, read 169,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
One thing with states like Arizona and Texas is governors are throwing their weight around wanting the states to be reopen. They are overstepping the mayor's and preventing mayor's from making restrictions to keep people safe. But yet when Gov Cuomo or Newsome did that in New York the other way, everybody loses their minds.
That sounds exactly like what the mayor of Seattle and govenor of Washington are doing to the president. He wants people to be safe over there too.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:09 AM

15,584 posts, read 7,609,519 times
Quote:

Wearing a mask helps keep viruses from spewing everywhere when you cough or sneeze, or talk. No one claims they stop the virus completely, but they do reduce the distance it spreads

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
God all this propaganda people are believing, every if it is 1/4 of a 1% that isn't worth wrecking the country for the other 99.75% ... honestly just isn't, I won't wear mask, I don't wash hands or do anything extra that I wasn't doing before, if I get it I get it, and il be free of it 2 weeks later. If you are so afraid and demanding that we (me and others) wear mask, get over yourself, you wear the mask and you stay home.

its my life, you have yours. control your other actions to limit your own exposure. IMO faster the population gets it sooner we have immunity and sooner we can get it off the news and wait for something more exciting to pop up. people are glued to this ****.
No, you stay home and quit infecting others. Your opinion is pretty worthless, unless you are a medical researcher or expert on the topic. No one really knows whether we develop immunity or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies