Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2020, 11:18 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
If there is no possibility to build herd immunity, then no vaccine will work, unless we're required periodic boosters.

So what's your solution? Wear masks and social distance for the rest of our lives?
Boosters might be the best option. But what is so wrong with wearing a mask? Last I checked there there is no rights impeded by wearing a mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I don't blame them. It would be hard for anyone to go eight hours straight (outside of lunch and maybe water fountain breaks) to keep on a mask.
I am not saying it is a cake walk. But if I must than I must. I have worn various versions of masks and face coverings from about late March. Long before it was mandated, largely because my father needed to wear one due to his Valley Fever.

Quote:
Kids should not be forced to wear masks.
Well if you want schools open, they'll need to wear masks. If kids aren't masked, you're far more likely to see cases rise and schools closing as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 11:41 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,116,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Boosters might be the best option. But what is so wrong with wearing a mask? Last I checked there there is no rights impeded by wearing a mask.
I'm sorry I'm not going to inject junk into my body periodically, I rather take my chances with the virus.

And wearing masks suck, but most importantly certain businesses cannot function with them like bars, nightclubs, and many other places. I want my life back. I'm tired of a bunch of hypochondriacs ruining our lives.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Well if you want schools open, they'll need to wear masks. If kids aren't masked, you're far more likely to see cases rise and schools closing as a result.
No they don't. In Sweden they're not wearing masks, schools are open.

Yes, if they're not masked you will see a rise in cases compared if masks were mandated. And I'm completely fine with that. This virus is part of our natural world, no need to avoid it.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:50 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,373,324 times
Quote:

Yes, if they're not masked you will see a rise in cases compared if masks were mandated. And I'm completely fine with that. This virus is part of our natural world, no need to avoid it.
Bubonic plague was "part of the natural world", too.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Bubonic plague was "part of the natural world", too.

Ok, and what happened? it ran its course, and now it's gone. Just like coronavirus will. Sure, more people will die, but we all die. Human life is temporary. It's time to live our lives, not be obsessed about dying.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:08 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Quote:

Yes because in Sweden they feel that the rate of virus in children is not significant (meanwhile they have a higher rate of positive cases in children than their neighbors in Finalnd --- oh).

Sweden did implement policies to reduce social gatherings, putting limits on group gatherings, etc.

They were more relaxed and because Swedes are more socially responsible and likely to adhere to 'recommendations' -- the govt. didn't mandate.

Doesn't mean that there were measures in place to reduce the spread of virus.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:47 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I posted the ref from the CDC on the other thread: the death rate from CoViD in the 10-19 y/o age group is 1 in 100,000--that's 10x higher than the death rate from auto accidents. ..The rate in 5-10 y/o group is 3 in one million infections.
You do realize that most kids have been home from school since March in the house with the family? They don't have jobs. They have no reason to interact with anyone besides their immediate family. Of course the rate will be low. How would it not be?

But we are talking about sending them to school with hundreds of classmates. We can tell by the summer camps that kids spread the virus rapidly.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
You do realize that most kids have been home from school since March in the house with the family? They don't have jobs. They have no reason to interact with anyone besides their immediate family. Of course the rate will be low. How would it not be?

But we are talking about sending them to school with hundreds of classmates. We can tell by the summer camps that kids spread the virus rapidly.
The rate is per infections, so what you said doesn't make sense.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yes because in Sweden they feel that the rate of virus in children is not significant (meanwhile they have a higher rate of positive cases in children than their neighbors in Finalnd --- oh).

Sweden did implement policies to reduce social gatherings, putting limits on group gatherings, etc.

They were more relaxed and because Swedes are more socially responsible and likely to adhere to 'recommendations' -- the govt. didn't mandate.

Sweden never shut down at all. If you want to, you could go to a bar or nightclub in Sweden. They did ban mass gatherings, like music concerts, that's it.

Their goal was to never have less infections than their neighbors. Their goal was to have a sustainable solution. And they have. What Finland is doing, what we're doing, is not sustainable. Finland may have less infections, but at what cost?

This is what I hate, short sighted people who think the goal is to have little Covid-19 infections as possible, meanwhile destroying our right to live and socialize in the process!

Old 07-20-2020, 12:53 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
I'm sorry I'm not going to inject junk into my body periodically, I rather take my chances with the virus.

And wearing masks suck, but most importantly certain businesses cannot function with them like bars, nightclubs, and many other places. I want my life back. I'm tired of a bunch of hypochondriacs ruining our lives.
I want my life back too. However that will not happen soon. I do not want to worry about contracting a virus because of idiots that made poor choices during a pandemic and those that want everything reopen with no restrictions. I also do not want to have a risk of getting this and spreading it to loved ones because people do not want to vaccinate. I do NOT want to take any chances with the virus.

Quote:

Ebola is part of "our natural world" too, I don't think anyone in their right mind would actually want to get that. Covid, I don't either because it seemingly does have a number of serious consequences even after you get better. If you do, I hope we don't live near each other.

As for Sweden...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

Americans whether adult or children couldn't be bothered to wear masks unless you are talking those susceptible to the virus besides when states, counties and cities or individual businesses enact mask mandates. Hell, people STILL do not follow them. We also aren't stopping social gatherings on a whole. How does anyone expect Americans to actually be responsible to reduce the spread of the virus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies