Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2020, 07:08 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
The science says re-open schools, the economics say re-open schools. European Nations like Sweden which was praised for their Corona response has re-opened schools. Trump says re-open schools. So the Dems, the party of Trump is all things Evil, say keep schools closed. Really a little stepping back is required by some people to evaluate if its really your TDS or logical thinking going on here.

Uh.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Huh? Sweden was not praised for its response. https://newsroom.uvahealth.com/2020/...ths-in-sweden/
^^^^^ Exactly. Sweden is doing markedly WORSE than their neighbors who took more restrictive measures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 07:49 AM

30,172 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I guess you missed the point. Democrats keep telling us "trust the experts", "trust the doctors", "trust the scientists". But in reality, they only want us to trust the ones that have the same opinion as them, while ignoring the opinions of ones they disagree with.
I am not a democrat or Trumper. I agree you don't want to cherry pick so called experts to push whatever you want to have happen.

But I remember back in May. There was a big push to open up quickly Trump pushed it, so did many GOP governors. There was lots of chatter that the virus would fade out in the summer, herd immunity would happen, etc. They said trust us all will go well. So we opened and it backfired.

Now those same people including Trump as pushing schools to reopen quickly and they claim it will all go well and trust us. Fool me once shame on you... Fool me twice...

So I am looking at a plethora of information. Looking at the virus numbers and he rising deaths. Not just listening to a few experts. There have been endless "experts" on both sides that have simply been wrong. So to me being prudent and looking before you leap on school openings makes sense. I say delay it until at least October 1st and see how the virus is then.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Well, in this country we value our young people more than our grandparents. At risk people can take the necessary precautions.

Lots of at risk people live with other family members. Lots of multi generational families out there. And no most people do not think like you. All American lives are valued. You are putting political expediency over American lives. Pretty obvious.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:23 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Poor kids that don't live with grandparents probably should get back to school. More than likely their parents can't or won't help them with schoolwork. They are the ones who are going to suffer. Ideally, all kids should be homeschooled, but that's not going to happen.
Then there would be a stigma that only poor kids are at school. We don't do that anymore, everyone is supposed to be equal.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:24 AM

680 posts, read 535,748 times
If they don’t reopen schools, don’t pay your property taxes!

Old 07-19-2020, 08:30 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,257,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
And when the sheriff comes to evict you for nonpayment of taxes, take out your gun and claim the castle doctrine. Let us know how that works out for you.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
And when the sheriff comes to evict you for nonpayment of taxes, take out your gun and claim the castle doctrine. Let us know how that works out for you.

I have a neighbor of mine who likes to say even if you "own" your house free and clear you really just renting it from the government. Stop paying property taxes for a few years and you will find out it is true.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:59 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,100 times
Well, here's more science - - science that says that 10 to 19 year olds are super spreaders:

https://www.newser.com/story/293780/...nsmission.html

Old 07-19-2020, 10:14 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,022,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Well, in this country we value our young people more than our grandparents. At risk people can take the necessary precautions. There is no good reason to ruin the education and development of millions of children. Unless you're a Democrat, of course. Then you want to do it because it might help you win an election.

You people are just disgusting.
Look in the mirror.

You don’t value young people if you’re advocating just send them back. schools will be a breeding ground for corona. The kids will bring it home and infect the families. They’ll infect the teachers. Who’s going to teach when the teachers are gone? Who’s going to pay the bill when the schools get sued for deaths related to corona traced back to the schools? Or the long term lung issues it can cause? There is no way for schools to be open safely with crowded classrooms.

Old 07-19-2020, 10:28 AM

23,990 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
The bonds will still need paying off. withholding taxes will only put your property value at risk. Better sell your house the day that starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies