Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2020, 11:03 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Well, here's more science - - science that says that 10 to 19 year olds are super spreaders:

https://www.newser.com/story/293780/...nsmission.html
Yikes. I will likely be working with those age kids. I cannot comment on classroom assignment since I haven't gotten it yet. I float around different classrooms. Last year I was in three, would have been four if we returned from Spring Break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 11:23 AM

3,649 posts, read 1,604,549 times
Quote:
Well, here's more science - - science that says that 10 to 19 year olds are super spreaders:

Send this to gov of FL who just doubled-down on his opinion that schools should reopen their doors:

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...n-their-doors/

Just as "Florida has emerged as a global epicenter of the latest coronavirus surge":
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...r-for-covid-19

Old 07-19-2020, 11:28 AM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Liberals: “There’s inequality with internet access and safe environments for at-home schooling in impoverished areas.”

Also liberals: “Stay home, no school, it’s not safe.”

Old 07-19-2020, 11:28 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,119,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Coward? Are you willing to teach in conditions of a state that prove it really isn't safe to reopen?
Here it's perfectly safe. I'm not a teacher by trade, but I'd be fine to teach if I was. I go to gyms here, which is about as risky as teaching in a classroom, everyday.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:33 AM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
As for “healthy” kids with no underlying condition, there hasn’t been one case of a Covid death under the age of 17 that I’ve seen reported.
But they can spread it!

Better to have an unemployed mother and father plus kids who can’t go to school, with no food in the fridge and all ready to be evicted by the local sherif.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:44 AM

7,265 posts, read 5,147,374 times
Quote:

I posted the ref from the CDC on the other thread: the death rate from CoViD in the 10-19 y/o age group is 1 in 100,000--that's 10x higher than the death rate from auto accidents. ..The rate in 5-10 y/o group is 3 in one million infections.

The death rate in the younger adult population 19-55 is 1 in 10,000---about the same risk as in driving. Are all those Liberal teachers petrified of returning to the classroom staying out of their cars while they're not at work now?

All those Super-Spreaders are heroes providing the herd immunity that will save us old-timers.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:47 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times
Send your own kids

Old 07-19-2020, 11:50 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:

"...This study contradicts some research..."

So there is dispute. If 10-19 year olds are spreading it, you can just look at behavior. They are much less careful about following the rules to prevent spread.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:53 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I posted the ref from the CDC on the other thread: the death rate from CoViD in the 10-19 y/o age group is 1 in 100,000--that's 10x higher than the death rate from auto accidents. ..The rate in 5-10 y/o group is 3 in one million infections.

The death rate in the younger adult population 19-55 is 1 in 10,000---about the same risk as in driving. Are all those Liberal teachers petrified of returning to the classroom staying out of their cars while they're not at work now?

All those Super-Spreaders are heroes providing the herd immunity that will save us old-timers.
https://www.conservativereview.com/n...ry-flu-season/

"On December 17, 2014, Rebecca Taylor received a call from the school nurse in her daughter Scarlet’s Tacoma, Washington, school saying that Scarlet had a fever and Rebecca should pick her up. Two days later, and after just four hours of being in the hospital from what should have been a routine flu in an otherwise healthy child, Scarlet was dead.

While this was a rare tragic story, it’s less rare than parallel stories of COVID-19, yet nobody ever thought to shut schools during the flu season.

That is a quote from a CNN article on January 7 about the deadliness of the flu season to children in a year when the seasonal flu killed 174 school-age children. Yet, like most facts that can be gleaned through extensive research online, if it’s not published incessantly in daily headline news and obsessed about by the media-political complex, people don’t know about it. And if they don’t know about it, they are not scared of it.

The reality is that every flu season, many more children die from this common ailment than have from COVID-19. And unlike with COVID-19, where the rare pediatric deaths are among those who have serious conditions, many of the flu deaths occur in perfectly healthy children. According to the CDC, “influenza is dangerous to children,” and during the 2017-2018 flu season, which everyone forgets was considered a pandemic, the federal agency estimates that the actual number of pediatric deaths was closer to 600.

A 2018 CDC study of six flu seasons concluded that half of flu-related deaths occurred in otherwise healthy children, 22% of whom were fully vaccinated. Thus, even with a vaccine, the flu is still much more deadly for children, especially perfectly healthy children...."

Old 07-19-2020, 12:07 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
"...This study contradicts some research..."

So there is dispute. If 10-19 year olds are spreading it, you can just look at behavior. They are much less careful about following the rules to prevent spread.
I have over 20 years of experience with this and you are correct. There are alot of factors at play here. For one parents will send their children in sick or with fevers. Parents don't want to take off from work to watch a sick child so they will give the child meds to mask symptoms and send in sick. Next is hygiene. Most children don't practice it . Next is social distancing. Children will not do it long term. So whatever Suzy has your little Johnny will have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies