Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2020, 07:45 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,250,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I have over 20 years of experience with this and you are correct. There are alot of factors at play here. For one parents will send their children in sick or with fevers. Parents don't want to take off from work to watch a sick child so they will give the child meds to mask symptoms and send in sick. Next is hygiene. Most children don't practice it . Next is social distancing. Children will not do it long term. So whatever Suzy has your little Johnny will have.
The size of this particular study discounts a lot of your concerns. That's why it's so important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 07:53 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,015,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Of course. The burden should not be so heavily on property owners. I can understand why some younger people are opting out of home ownership. The property taxation in some areas is truly punitive even with mediocre schools and bad roads.
They’re still paying property taxes.

The landlords themselves aren’t, they’re charging the young people it in the rent.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
There is dispute, but the article also mentions the breadth of that particular study and how strong it was in terms of design. It also does say that behavior is a part of why the 10 to 19 year olds are more likely to spread the disease. That doesn't make it any less risky, though, since I don't see anything stopping those 10 to 19 year olds from being any less gross than before.
Lemme just say that regardless of ages, I find that school aged kids do not seem to be able to keep masks on. Some are better than others, but I know the kids that I work will be hardpressed to keep the masks on.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:12 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,521,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Link: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...-back-to-class

Science matters. And the science tells us that the schools need to be re-opened. Contrary to the science, the evil Democrats and teachers' unions want to keep the schools closed and punish children to further their political agenda. There is no low the left won't sink to.
They must want to kill all the children!

That's the binary isn't it? You either care or you want to kill people according to the Dems.

Old 07-20-2020, 05:10 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
There you have it, dems. 100% of scientists agree that our children should return to class. Are you going to deny science?

No, 100% of the FIVE asked (a statiscally insignificant sample size) agree.

And I'll note the questioner qualified the opening with "But the key is to reopen safely

Old 07-20-2020, 05:12 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,373,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I posted the ref from the CDC on the other thread: the death rate from CoViD in the 10-19 y/o age group is 1 in 100,000--that's 10x higher than the death rate from auto accidents. ..The rate in 5-10 y/o group is 3 in one million infections.

The death rate in the younger adult population 19-55 is 1 in 10,000---about the same risk as in driving. Are all those Liberal teachers petrified of returning to the classroom staying out of their cars while they're not at work now?

All those Super-Spreaders are heroes providing the herd immunity that will save us old-timers.

What herd immunity?

Old 07-20-2020, 10:46 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
What herd immunity?
People claim it exists but with how many people lose antibodies two to three months after the infection. This makes sense with what Kayla Braxton dealt with. The WWE personality got it in March and was sick for just about a month. In late June, early July she tests positive again.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:47 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,116,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
People claim it exists but with how many people lose antibodies two to three months after the infection. This makes sense with what Kayla Braxton dealt with. The WWE personality got it in March and was sick for just about a month. In late June, early July she tests positive again.
If there is no possibility to build herd immunity, then no vaccine will work, unless we're required periodic boosters.

So what's your solution? Wear masks and social distance for the rest of our lives?

Old 07-20-2020, 11:00 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,565,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Lemme just say that regardless of ages, I find that school aged kids do not seem to be able to keep masks on. Some are better than others, but I know the kids that I work will be hardpressed to keep the masks on.
I don't blame them. It would be hard for anyone to go eight hours straight (outside of lunch and maybe water fountain breaks) to keep on a mask.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:02 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,116,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I don't blame them. It would be hard for anyone to go eight hours straight (outside of lunch and maybe water fountain breaks) to keep on a mask.
Kids should not be forced to wear masks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies