Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2020, 02:35 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,142,463 times

Advertisements

I thought the following discussion was pretty good on the whole:

Old 08-01-2020, 02:37 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,220,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
First... We can start here: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/09/o...nt-family.html

If Harvard graduates are your gold standards, here's one whose actual field is researching these very trends.

If you're suspicious of her findings. Look up the increase and spread of OoW births across all class in America, then try to find the corresponding increase in at of these negative outcomes for any of that groups. Spoiler Alert: You won't. As OoW rates increase every negative stat you want to look at holds flat or decreases.

What does Obama failing to adequately address education have to do with the "myth" of systemic racism?
Did she control for having a male authority figure present in the child's life? I would think that this is a critical thing to control for in a study like this. I don't think not having a father in the home is nearly as detrimental as not having a male authority figure in one's life altogether.

Old 08-01-2020, 02:40 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
EVERYTHING is incorrect.

He's condoning racial profiling and prejudice. The notion that when an officer goes into a Black neighborhood, he more than likely has a gun. An officer already has his hand on his gun. A law-abiding, humble person from the neighborhood can now be a target of an officer who already thinks that citizen is a criminal. That means he doesn't trust the community he's working in, or anyone in it! That is the issue!
From the article and the passage you quoted and take issue with:

Quote:
"Part of the reason why the police have had so many difficult encounters with black people is because the crime rate in black areas is much higher. For example: If the police want to arrest a driver in a black neighborhood, they must be prepared for the possibility that the driver might have a gun on him."
Is the crime rate NOT much higher in black areas? Is that a fallacy? If so, please provide links to the numbers.

Is the possibility NOT higher in a black neighborhood that a driver being stopped might have a gun on him? Is that a fallacy? If so, please provide links to the numbers.

Old 08-01-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I thought the following discussion was pretty good on the whole:

I watched that video and that's where one of the men explained why so many black men have babies with multiple women without committing.

It was a good video, I thought.

Old 08-01-2020, 02:43 PM

8,509 posts, read 4,752,974 times
Loury has been outspoken for quite some time about woke culture and other aspects of this round of culture wars. He’s famous amongst the alt-media podcaster types for this.

Frankly, though, backing up arguments with false claims never works out in favor of the argument.

This is one of the least surprising articles I’ve ever read.

Old 08-01-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Loury has been outspoken for quite some time about woke culture and other aspects of this round of culture wars. He’s famous amongst the alt-media podcaster types for this.

Frankly, though, backing up arguments with false claims never works out in favor of the argument.

This is one of the least surprising articles I’ve ever read.
Okay, so what were the false claims in the article?

Old 08-01-2020, 02:49 PM

8,509 posts, read 4,752,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Okay, so what were the false claims in the article?
Well I was talking in a broad general sense. Specific to the article, it’s the kind of things Loury’s been saying over and over: check out the stats on police violence and incarceration rates, and you find a problem different from what the BLM mobs are putting forth.

Old 08-01-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Well I was talking in a broad general sense. Specific to the article, it’s the kind of things Loury’s been saying over and over: check out the stats on police violence and incarceration rates, and you find a problem different from what the BLM mobs are putting forth.
I know what the stats are. But what is he saying specifically in the article that you take exception to?

3,340 posts, read 2,142,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I watched that video and that's where one of the men explained why so many black men have babies with multiple women without committing.

It was a good video, I thought.

Yeah. My politics are likely different from these folks in many respects, but I admire that they're actually having a real discussion and seek to converge on solutions that don't inherently serve to foment irrational division and hatred.

I think Bret and his wife Heather are comparative breaths of fresh air on the left even when I disagree on specific issues (his desire for a Pigovian tax structure, for example). They've done some excellent podcasts regarding Portland lately (where they live) as well as the intellectual failings of both Woke-ism and Trumpism that cuts through a lot of the more dishonest argumentation/narrative we're all frequently barraged with. Their scientific insights are always good as well.

3,307 posts, read 1,220,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
First... We can start here: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/09/o...nt-family.html

If Harvard graduates are your gold standards, here's one whose actual field is researching these very trends.

If you're suspicious of her findings. Look up the increase and spread of OoW births across all class in America, then try to find the corresponding increase in at of these negative outcomes for any of that groups. Spoiler Alert: You won't. As OoW rates increase every negative stat you want to look at holds flat or decreases.

What does Obama failing to adequately address education have to do with the "myth" of systemic racism?
Wait, are you asking him to look and compare it to all classes across America. So we should be looking at fatherless homes across all income levels across America and use that to extrapolate that fatherless homes aren't a contributor to crime and other ill effects? Of course there isn't a singular factor in the explanation of increased crime, class plays a huge role in it.

These other classes that we are comparing to, are these homes where the father has little to no engagement in the child's life or is this simply a divorced household where the mother won custody, but the father remains visiting rights? We have very real stats for people who do poorly in school and for people who end up in prison, guess who is over represented in these cases? People who grew up in fatherless homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies