Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2020, 03:17 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
People have been talking about systemic racism and the outcomes it created for decades and a lot of that was never addressed. So if those people are STILL talking about those same outcomes from systemic racism, you can't logically make the case that SR doesn't exist.
So the question is, what are we as a society doing to tackle systemic racism instead of just talking about it? Seems like a lot of folks have a vested interest to talk but not do much about it. Or flat out deny it and spit out platitudes like cultural arguments or OOW rates to avoid taking action.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:19 PM

8,509 posts, read 4,752,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Well, see you've just proven my point. People are posting their unhappiness with the article and yet most of you have no specifics to point to when asked to be specific.

You're white. See how easy that is? It's like a game...lol.
I never said I was unhappy with the article, just that it was posted here as though it’s some sort of revelation. My consternation is more that people reading it should be all that taken aback by it or treat what he says as though it’s a mind-altering moment. Maybe that’s just because I don’t really go for the political poles and thus reasonable points which address fairly obvious subjects don’t blow a hole in the Fox/MSNBC myopia I don’t have.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:22 PM

1,323 posts, read 589,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I didn't say that systemic racism doesn't exit.

I'm saying that not everything that the Left wants to characterize as systemic racism, or even regular racism is a valid accusation.

And I think that's what the black professor is saying in the OP as well.

Using the rubber stamp accusation of racism like Chicken Little for every perceived injustice in the world is not doing the Left or Blacks in general any favors.

But when racism does rear its ugly head, it needs to be addressed by everyone and not so easily dismissed.

Case in point, I once had to sit at conference table and endure my co-workers attempt to dissuade me for hiring my top choice for a client-facing subordinate position in my department because of the applicant's name. It's was something similar to Tanisha. One colleague even suggested that I encourage her to adopt the name Tami while at work.

Our clients were mostly older C-suite males in manufacturing.

What would you have done in this position?

Old 08-01-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
But when racism does rear its ugly head, it needs to be addressed by everyone and not so easily dismissed.

Case in point, I once had to sit at conference table and endure my co-workers attempt to dissuade me for hiring my top choice for a client-facing subordinate position in my department because of the applicant's name. It's was something similar to Tanisha. One colleague even suggested that I encourage her to adopt the name Tami while at work.

Assuming the hiring decision wasn’t within those co-workers’ purview, I’d have told them that you felt you had the right candidate, and that’s that.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:29 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Langston Oklahoma, a "black area " 92% black has a crime rate between 29%-70% lower than the national average. There are about 13 of these small black towns left in Oklahoma. Wealthy predominately black communities have similar stats. Its small, big deal its still over 1000 black people who don't share the same crime stats as an area of Detroit or Chicago with 1000 black people. What gives?
First, there are exceptions to every rule but those exceptions do not change the rule.

Small black towns aren't overrun with organized gangs, which is the biggest reason their crime rates are going to be lower. You're comparing apples with oranges.

Last edited by Yac; 11-12-2020 at 04:17 AM..

Old 08-01-2020, 03:29 PM

1,323 posts, read 589,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Assuming the hiring decision wasn’t within those co-workers’ purview, I’d have told them that you felt you had the right candidate, and that’s that.

It wasn't. They were just a bunch of busy-bodies who needed to opine. I hired her later that day. She was great, then moved on after a year for more money and better commute. I gave her glowing reference.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:35 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,220,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So the question is, what are we as a society doing to tackle systemic racism instead of just talking about it? Seems like a lot of folks have a vested interest to talk but not do much about it. Or flat out deny it and spit out platitudes like cultural arguments or OOW rates to avoid taking action.
I always thought some form of restitution paid out to people who were affected by redlining, denial of VA benefits, etc., would be a good place to start. I think that creating an incentive structure for behavior that is shown to raise people out of poverty would be a good start. You can have this means tested or universal, create a government bond program or something once a child is born, they would eligible to get the money by say 21, if they have met the requirements. Graduating high school, no children out of wedlock, and enrolled in college, jobs program, or national service.

We can start to reform certain institutions in our society, but a huge goal should be to lift all boats and put all people in a position to get to high places within these institutions. As another poster said on here, money is a great insulator and the lifting out of poverty will be a great step forward.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:35 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:

You had to endure having a discussion? No wonder you're so compassionate to the plight of black folks.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:45 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That’s not what you said, though. You said that if you were rejected for a job, you would “err” on the side of assuming it was due to racism. Two unfortunate outcomes to doing that:

1) You are blaming racism for something that may have nothing related to racism, but just that you weren’t the best qualified, or perhaps you didn’t impress the interviewer, or any number of reasons. Thus, you are seeing racism where it may not exist, and you then think there’s more racism than there really is.

2). Because you chalk up your failure to get the job to the interviewer being a racist, you fail to address the REAL reasons for the poor outcome. You are missing a chance to improve.

And THIS is what the professor is saying.
The great fun of this forum is to debate with white people who are trying to convince black people that black people are not all that experienced when it comes to knowing what racism is.

One experience I had is I was turned down for a position that was listed in the paper of my college town. The white man who got the job was a friend of mine. Not only was he not qualified (he had no degree I had two) but he told me he didn't even apply for the job. He said "I walked into this business and they offered me a job right on the spot."

I have to say he was much better looking than me to them, blond curly locks and blue eyes. But he was a stoner and didn't last long. I just set up shop my self and had more clients than every one who wouldn't hire me. I was a burr in their side for over 20 years. They virtually discontinued offering the service that I now provided on my own.

Sometimes there are no subtleties. On at least three occasions I have been told nicely.. but you'er black and that may present problems. No I didn't call Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson I moved on and did much better without them. And rubbed it in their face whenever I could.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
It wasn't. They were just a bunch of busy-bodies who needed to opine. I hired her later that day. She was great, then moved on after a year for more money and better commute. I gave her glowing reference.
Good move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies