Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2020, 09:42 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,220,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
That is not precisely true. White people engaged in the same activities are less likely to be bothered with by police.
Where do these white people live? Do they live in less densely populated areas? It is my understanding that most criminally inclined whites live in rural areas or other such low population density areas. These areas have a much lower tax base and a much lower police presence. People in rural areas in general are much less likely to be bothered by the police, because there is not too many out there.

Do these studies actually factor in population density of the criminally inclined? Do they compare these two groups on the aggregate, or do they compare them in similar localities with similar inclinations to crime in the same area, and localities with a similar police presence?

Old 08-01-2020, 09:53 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Where do these white people live? Do they live in less densely populated areas? It is my understanding that most criminally inclined whites live in rural areas or other such low population density areas. These areas have a much lower tax base and a much lower police presence. People in rural areas in general are much less likely to be bothered by the police, because there is not too many out there.

Do these studies actually factor in population density of the criminally inclined? Do they compare these two groups on the aggregate, or do they compare them in similar localities with similar inclinations to crime in the same area, and localities with a similar police presence?
What type of crime are you referring to? There is crime everywhere. Right now several of my neighbors are using drugs, as an example. Using drugs involves buying drugs. That involves someone selling drugs.

My white neighbors can go out into the world with drugs in their car and unless they are doing something to attract attention to themselves, they are unlikely to get pulled over. If they are pulled over, they aren't going to have their car searched w/o cause. As opposed to my black neighbors.

This is one example of what I mean. White people use drugs at the same rate as blacks. But look at the differences in incarceration.

This is something we KNOW is NOT due to blacks engaging in the behavior more, but solely due to racial profiling. We know this due to decades of self-reporting on drug usage.

Old 08-01-2020, 10:11 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,220,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
What type of crime are you referring to? There is crime everywhere. Right now several of my neighbors are using drugs, as an example. Using drugs involves buying drugs. That involves someone selling drugs.

My white neighbors can go out into the world with drugs in their car and unless they are doing something to attract attention to themselves, they are unlikely to get pulled over. If they are pulled over, they aren't going to have their car searched w/o cause. As opposed to my black neighbors.

This is one example of what I mean. White people use drugs at the same rate as blacks. But look at the differences in incarceration.

This is something we KNOW is NOT due to blacks engaging in the behavior more, but solely due to racial profiling. We know this due to decades of self-reporting on drug usage.
I’m simply asking how is this data managed. Telling me that crime is everywhere doesn’t mean anything, telling me that your white neighbors do drugs says nothing of the aggregate. I’ve been searched 5 times without cause, had the k9s called each time. I won’t give them permission to search so they fill the k9s in. I don’t use my experience for the aggregate though.

I think asking about population density and the police presence a locality has, is a valid question. Disproportionately white criminality takes place in areas with lower population densities and lower tax bases, with a very small police force. The author of the article also focuses on disproportionate amounts of violent crime.

Cited from this Stanford study: In our data, the success rate of searches (or the hit rate) is generally lower for Hispanic drivers compared to white drivers; so the outcome test indicates Hispanic drivers face discrimination. For black drivers, search hit rates are typically in line with those of white drivers, indicating an absence of discrimination.

https://openpolicing.stanford.edu/findings/

Admittedly there is a lot of confusion and uncertainty around the conclusion of hit rates, but it is viable data to look at. It is just difficult to extrapolate discrimination bias from it.

In this study, I don’t know if they factored in past run ins with the law and warrants and how that affected the rate of searches in the given populace. I will need to comb over the findings and see what they factored into it. It does show on the threshold test some differing results from the previous one I cited.

Last edited by ecko_complex24; 08-01-2020 at 11:08 PM..

Old 08-01-2020, 10:16 PM

8,509 posts, read 4,752,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I dont understand what reform transfers means?

And why in the world would someones skin color matter as far as critiquing your post? lol
I was talking about reforming transfer payments. Welfare and the like.

Someone’s skin color shouldn’t matter. That’s the whole point. When skin color registers about as much as eye or hair color, then we’ve achieved something pretty remarkable. Equal under the law isn’t equal in the day-to-day.

Old 08-01-2020, 10:42 PM

3,341 posts, read 2,143,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Equal under the law isn’t equal in the day-to-day.

Precisely the reason that Woke-ism should be as universally condemned as the Klan. In many cases, their statements could be written by one another. You'll recall recently when the National Museum for African-American History and Culture released (and quickly took down) a graphical chart on 'Whiteness" that was virtually indistinguishable from something David Duke would've cheered about. This is how stupid these folks are.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:56 PM

830 posts, read 487,320 times
I started a thread that went nowhere on this professor a while back:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...gheads-tv.html

Old 08-02-2020, 12:00 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
We have made huge strides in Civil Rights for all since 1865 but racism still does exist but certainly not at the levels that rise to "systemic" . It is a big lie to move the mob to do the dirty work of tearing down our institutions and upset law and order.

The whole nonsense that the Left is spinning of defunding the Police, that somehow fewer Police will lead to less shootings of violent black suspects that are resisting arrest might be true but who is actually going to be affected the most when Police are removed from the rough and tumble neighborhoods? The answer is it will be the good people that have no choice but to live in those neighborhoods. They are often minorities and immigrants.

Why are the Democrats willing to push the myth of the white trigger happy racist cop when the people that will be hurt the most by the lie are black people and other minorities? What are the Democrats hoping to gain by letting those neighborhoods burn?
The article argues that racism isnt systematic, but it never argues that racism is dead.

In short, he argues that the individual officer can be racist, even multiple officers in the same force, but that they are independently racist and didnt get together and decided to be racist or do racist things.

this is an argument of words, rather than reality.

if a police department of 100 has 75 racist, then the department itself is racist and it is then systematic because the 25 "good cops" in no way can stop the 75 racist ones.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:37 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post

This is what I was responding to:

blacks are more likely to be killed because they are disproportionately engaging in criminal behavior that leads to these police encounters.

If blacks were usually involved in violent crimes when killed by police, your response to me would have made more sense.

They are not usually engaged in violent crime when killed by police. George Floyd passed a counterfeit $20. Philadro Castille had a tail light out and 'looked like' a suspect the police supposedly wanted to check out. That happens to black males a lot.

You've had your vehicle searched 5 times. That is highly unusual. At least for white people it is. If we both carried drugs around, you'd be in jail for it, and I would not because that never happens to me.

Old 08-02-2020, 01:53 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
"Systemic Racism" was a Media/Democrat created lie to scare people using a sound bite that could be repeated by Democrat politicians, Media talking heads, and Activists nationwide. It sounds "official" and ominous. However, when asked for examples, they never can give any and the very few instances of "police brutality" are outliers to the extreme yet the Media and Dems promote them as the norm. Just more false propaganda to push yet more income and wealth redistribution and societal control.
To prove there is no such thing as Systemic Racism put up a video that shows a white cop applying a knee to a white man until he becomes unconscious.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:12 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
There’s a saying - probably Franklin because he had the best sayings! - that a lie can make its way around the world before you can get your boots on in the morning. And that’s what we’ve seen happen over the last few years, sent into overdrive the last few months: this entire myth of systemic racism. All of a sudden, it’s EVERYWHERE. We just got a notice that the county is introducing a new training module for public school teachers and administrators: “Confronting the problem of racism in the classroom.”
Rachel976, your viewpoint is so all out WRONG that it is just pitiful. Of course, systemic racism is going on. It's quite far from a myth. Only an uninformed fool would deny it. True, it's not as bad as it was in Jim Crow days. But today, many blacks don't feel free they can openly carry a rifle without being rushed by the cops, while the cops would leave a white man alone doing the same thing. That is certainly systemic racism as well as white privilege. Please wise up to the truth!`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies