Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2020, 06:43 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Well, then, does forced exclusion not exacerbate that? You can’t make it happen and then say, oh, gee, it just happens.
I'm not saying that. You are. You shouldn't misrepresent my point.

Quote:
No direct evidence, but think about it: put a kid in any culture for 20 years, he or she will be of that culture. Cynthia Ann Parker might be the closest example I could give off the top of my head.
Put a kid from an unstable home, I can see that. I wouldn't think it ends up being the norm. A kid raised in a 2 parent family is much less likely to be led astray.

In a high crime rate area a child raised in a stable home has a 90% chance of avoiding delinquency. If not from a stable home they have only a 10% chance

"The mother's strong affectionate attachment to her child is the child's best buffer against a life of crime.
The father's authority and involvement in raising his children are also a great buffer against a life of crime.

The empirical evidence shows that too many young men and women from broken families tend to have a much weaker sense of connection with their neighborhood and are prone to exploit its members to satisfy their unmet needs or desires. This contributes to a loss of a sense of community and to the disintegration of neighborhoods into social chaos and violent crime."

https://www.heritage.org/crime-and-j...venile%20crime.

Quote:
I’d welcome the unemployment figures. I don’t doubt you, but as Samuel Clemens said, there’s three kinds of lies: white lies, damned lies, and statistics.
The UE figures in the book "Out of Work" are from the US census.

You're entitled to your own opinions, you are not entitled to your own facts.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:49 PM

24,650 posts, read 9,477,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Interesting article. He states the same statistics right out of the white supremacist playbook. A black mathematician no less.
You do know blacks are not monolithic right? There’s liberal blacks, conservative blacks, rich blacks, poors blacks,

In your weak attempt to portray a black mathematician as racist against his own race, you’ve revealed your own racist ideals by implying all blacks think the exact same way, have the same political ideologies, and believe in the same solution to black problems.

We are just as diverse as everyone else. Sorry this black man doesn’t conform to your stereotypes of what you think all blacks should be regurgitating.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:57 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Loury's field is actually social economics - I don't know why people keep getting that wrong.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:57 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
But when racism does rear its ugly head, it needs to be addressed by everyone and not so easily dismissed.

Case in point, I once had to sit at conference table and endure my co-workers attempt to dissuade me for hiring my top choice for a client-facing subordinate position in my department because of the applicant's name. It's was something similar to Tanisha. One colleague even suggested that I encourage her to adopt the name Tami while at work.

Our clients were mostly older C-suite males in manufacturing.

What would you have done in this position?

First off I'd make it clear to your coworkers that you will hire whoever the Hell you want (if you had the authority of course)

Then I'd take an honest look at if your coworkers concerns about this person had any actual merit.

If the answer was yes, then I'd look at why and proceed from there. What is it about the nature of your business that would make putting a POC in that position detrimental?

Old 08-01-2020, 07:13 PM

8,509 posts, read 4,752,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I'm not saying that. You are. You shouldn't misrepresent my point.

Put a kid from an unstable home, I can see that. I wouldn't think it ends up being the norm. A kid raised in a 2 parent family is much less likely to be led astray.

In a high crime rate area a child raised in a stable home has a 90% chance of avoiding delinquency. If not from a stable home they have only a 10% chance

"The mother's strong affectionate attachment to her child is the child's best buffer against a life of crime.
The father's authority and involvement in raising his children are also a great buffer against a life of crime.

The empirical evidence shows that too many young men and women from broken families tend to have a much weaker sense of connection with their neighborhood and are prone to exploit its members to satisfy their unmet needs or desires. This contributes to a loss of a sense of community and to the disintegration of neighborhoods into social chaos and violent crime."

https://www.heritage.org/crime-and-j...venile%20crime.

The UE figures in the book "Out of Work" are from the US census.

You're entitled to your own opinions, you are not entitled to your own facts.
Misrepresent? Maybe misunderstand. I’m open to that talk.

I’m not sure how you go from a white girl kidnapped into Comanche culture, who chooses to stay there to some talk about unstable households. You are a product of how you grew up.

I’ll read the stats you posted. I’m not actually sure where you and I disagree, as broken homes are known as vectors for problems.

Old 08-01-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Misrepresent? Maybe misunderstand. I’m open to that talk.

I’m not sure how you go from a white girl kidnapped into Comanche culture, who chooses to stay there to some talk about unstable households. You are a product of how you grew up.

I’ll read the stats you posted. I’m not actually sure where you and I disagree, as broken homes are known as vectors for problems.
Agreed but saying that past crimes against blacks are still affecting them today is where we disagree. As well as my point saying racism is not a factor in whether someone makes it in life. In America one has a very good opportunity to be successful.

Racism back in the day was mainly about socializing. The free markets is what lifted blacks. The reason their UE rate was lower than whites in the South and their labor participation rate was higher than whites in the South was because they were paid less. Education wasn't big in the South back in the day so it was mainly manual labor. The business owner that hired blacks got more bang for their buck. It was about value. Was it fair? No but proving yourself through work kept one employed. Raises and more money were the end product. Not as much or as fast as whites true enough. Versus not working full time and living off of welfare. Most blacks today work but enough people from all walks of life will accept money for not working. Not many in the scheme of things but the ones who do are a problem. It's human nature.

Look at today, i have a few friends who are making close to what they made, some more by taking their bi weekly covid UE money. They didn't even try looking for a job and I don't really blame them. This is temporary though and that money is stopping so they'll go back to work. Not nearly the case for those raised on welfare or on food stamps or other welfare.

Ask a business owner if they want to be more racist, more sexist, or more rich. Overwhelmingly they'll pick more rich. The ones who don't, wont be in business very long and if they are, they won't be as successful.

Old 08-01-2020, 07:49 PM

8,509 posts, read 4,752,974 times
I’ll try to put it like this: slavery, then Jim Crow and redlining. Add the Johnson war on poverty. The first three seek to actively separate us; the latter, even if you assume good intentions, entrenched the others. My libertarian streak comes up here, saying if you reform transfers, you reform a lot of the problems in the black community. But I really think we’re far past that. It’s such a self-fulfilling prophesy that by now it will take some pretty radical measures to fix. Me being kinda libertarian, I am open but not necessarily friendly to those ideas. I don’t know what to think.

And then there’s the cultural issue. I hope some blacks will critique this, but how far do blacks actually want to integrate? There’s a lot of problems which I don’t know how to address.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I’ll try to put it like this: slavery, then Jim Crow and redlining. Add the Johnson war on poverty. The first three seek to actively separate us; the latter, even if you assume good intentions, entrenched the others. My libertarian streak comes up here, saying if you reform transfers, you reform a lot of the problems in the black community. But I really think we’re far past that. It’s such a self-fulfilling prophesy that by now it will take some pretty radical measures to fix. Me being kinda libertarian, I am open but not necessarily friendly to those ideas. I don’t know what to think.

And then there’s the cultural issue. I hope some blacks will critique this, but how far do blacks actually want to integrate? There’s a lot of problems which I don’t know how to address.
I dont understand what reform transfers means?

And why in the world would someones skin color matter as far as critiquing your post? lol

Old 08-01-2020, 09:11 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You do know blacks are not monolithic right? There’s liberal blacks, conservative blacks, rich blacks, poors blacks,

In your weak attempt to portray a black mathematician as racist against his own race, you’ve revealed your own racist ideals by implying all blacks think the exact same way, have the same political ideologies, and believe in the same solution to black problems.

We are just as diverse as everyone else. Sorry this black man doesn’t conform to your stereotypes of what you think all blacks should be regurgitating.
He absolutely conforms to my stereotype of a black conservative.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:21 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
And what you are ignoring is that blacks are more likely to be killed because they are disproportionately engaging in criminal behavior that leads to these police encounters.

And there’s no such thing as white supremacist math. The fact that you are attributing cold, hard data to racism is, again, demonstrating the professor’s point: that when people, even highly educated black people such as himself, bring up data that point to real problems within the black community that black people could work to resolve, they (or the data, apparently!) are labeled racist.
That is not precisely true. White people engaged in the same activities are less likely to be bothered with by police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies