Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2020, 03:50 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,747,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The great fun of this forum is to debate with white people who are trying to convince black people that black people are not all that experienced when it comes to knowing what racism is.

One experience I had is I was turned down for a position that was listed in the paper of my college town. The white man who got the job was a friend of mine. Not only was he not qualified (he had no degree I had two) but he told me he didn't even apply for the job. He said "I walked into this business and they offered me a job right on the spot."

I have to say he was much better looking than me to them, blond curly locks and blue eyes. But he was a stoner and didn't last long. I just set up shop my self and had more clients than every one who wouldn't hire me. I was a burr in their side for over 20 years. They virtually discontinued offering the service that I now provided on my own.

Sometimes there are no subtleties. On at least three occasions I have been told nicely.. but you'er black and that may present problems. No I didn't call all Sharpton or Jesse Jackson I moved on and better without them. And rubbed it in their face whenever I could.
I struggle with the racism thing too. I’m white and married to a Latina, that’s been a big education. I’m probably still more aloof than I should be, but it is good to be forced to think about how others perceive things.

I do like you setting up shop and throwing success in folks’ faces in a human way. I love a good revenge tale. Good for you!

Old 08-01-2020, 03:52 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
I always thought some form of restitution paid out to people who were affected by redlining, denial of VA benefits, etc., would be a good place to start. I think that creating an incentive structure for behavior that is shown to raise people out of poverty would be a good start. You can have this means tested or universal, create a government bond program or something once a child is born, they would eligible to get the money by say 21, if they have met the requirements. Graduating high school, no children out of wedlock, and enrolled in college, jobs program, or national service.

We can start to reform certain institutions in our society, but a huge goal should be to lift all boats and put all people in a position to get to high places within these institutions. As another poster said on here, money is a great insulator and the lifting out of poverty will be a great step forward.
And yet, there is resistance to even some of these very simple proposals you've mentioned.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You had to endure having a discussion? No wonder you're so compassionate to the plight of black folks.
Uh, that poster (and hiring manager) happens to be a black woman.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:57 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I struggle with the racism thing too. I’m white and married to a Latina, that’s been a big education. I’m probably still more aloof than I should be, but it is good to be forced to think about how others perceive things.

I do like you setting up shop and throwing success in folks’ faces in a human way. I love a good revenge tale. Good for you!
When I left home for college I went from an all Black and Hispanic world to an all white world. I was very young and It was learn as you go.

My children did the opposite and they are doing much better financially than I was at their age.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
When I left home for college I went from an all Black and Hispanic world to an all white world. I was very young and It was learn as you go.

My children did the opposite and they are doing much better financially than I was at their age.
That’s kind of sad, the more I think about it. I don’t worry about my kids, but my wife does. I’m not sure which one of us is right.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Uh, that poster (and hiring manager) happens to be a black woman.
Well then of all the things she's had to put up with, I'd think a conversation wouldn't fall on her list of things she felt she had to endure.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:04 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
The great fun of this forum is to debate with white people who are trying to convince black people that black people are not all that experienced when it comes to knowing what racism is.
Yet you have no proof of this

Quote:
One experience I had is I was turned down for a position that was listed in the paper of my college town. The white man who got the job was a friend of mine. Not only was he not qualified (he had no degree I had two) but he told me he didn't even apply for the job. He said "I walked into this business and they offered me a job right on the spot."
Not true. This isn't how it goes. Granted you could have been applying for a job in the Klan. Then your little story would have merit.

Quote:
I have to say he was much better looking than me to them, blond curly locks and blue eyes. But he was a stoner and didn't last long. I just set up shop my self and had more clients than every one who wouldn't hire me. I was a burr in their side for over 20 years. They virtually discontinued offering the service that I now provided on my own.
hahahaha Yea that's what happened

Quote:
Sometimes there are no subtleties. On at least three occasions I have been told nicely.. but you'er black and that may present problems. No I didn't call Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson I moved on and did much better without them. And rubbed it in their face whenever I could.
Because just like Smollett, this didn't happen.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:08 PM

^^ this is why people get frustrated enough to overlook BLM’s flaws and carry the torch for them.

Agree or don’t, it’s still worth listening to and contemplating things that your fellow Americans are saying. Maybe there’s some crap there, maybe not, but we wouldn’t be here if there were zero merit to any of this.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Well then of all the things she's had to put up with, I'd think a conversation wouldn't fall on her list of things she felt she had to endure.
Go back and look at the content of that conversation. I'd have steam coming out of my ears while trying to be as calm while hearing what her colleagues were saying.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:17 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
There's nothing groundbreaking or outrageous here.

In a nutshell, racism exists but black people can surmount it on their own. Basically keep doing what black folk have been doing since the dawn of time, overcome.

My personal approach is to use money as the great insulator. Nothing shuts a racist down faster than activating their inferiority complex.
Racism isn't a factor when it comes to being successful. Finish high school, work a fulltime job and wait until you are 21 or older to get married and have kids and you'll have a 75% chance of being middle class or higher and only a 2% chance of being permanently poor.

The single biggest factor on whether someone will succeed in life is growing up in a stable home environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies