Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2020, 02:57 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Yeah. My politics are likely different from these folks in many respects, but I admire that they're actually having a real discussion and seek to converge on solutions that don't inherently serve to foment irrational division and hatred.

I think Bret and his wife Heather are comparative breaths of fresh air on the left even when I disagree on specific issues (his desire for a Pigovian tax structure, for example). They've done some excellent podcasts regarding Portland lately (where they live) as well as the intellectual failings of both Woke-ism and Trumpism that cuts through a lot of the more dishonest argumentation/narrative we're all frequently barraged with. Their scientific insights are always good as well.
It was very interesting, and while they don't all agree, at least they stated why and were respectful of one another.

I bristle at Bret's arrogance, however. He stopped the group a couple of times to correct them. I was thinking, 'Ehhh....they're black...I think they know what they're talking about and don't need you to correct them.' This isn't a class he's trying to educate.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:01 PM

8,506 posts, read 4,750,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I know what the stats are. But what is he saying specifically in the article that you take exception to?
Oh, nothing really. I generally agree with Loury, though he’s one voice among many, so forgive me if I’m not going to mount him on a pedestal and worship him as The One True Saint Of Knowledge.

What I was trying to get at is that no movement which uses false or weak assertions to prop itself up will actually help the movement to ultimately achieve its cause, and could indeed set the cause back for many years. That’s true in the most general sense, and I don’t see why it would be a noteworthy thing to say.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:02 PM

1,323 posts, read 589,141 times
There's nothing groundbreaking or outrageous here.

In a nutshell, racism exists but black people can surmount it on their own. Basically keep doing what black folk have been doing since the dawn of time, overcome.

My personal approach is to use money as the great insulator. Nothing shuts a racist down faster than activating their inferiority complex.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:07 PM

8,506 posts, read 4,750,085 times
Quote:
It was very interesting, and while they don't all agree, at least they stated why and were respectful of one another.

I bristle at Bret's arrogance, however. He stopped the group a couple of times to correct them. I was thinking, 'Ehhh....they're black...I think they know what they're talking about and don't need you to correct them.' This isn't a class he's trying to educate.
I started listening to Bret, and while I admire him in some ways, I think he’s overplayed his woke victim card. I wanted to hear him and Heather talk about much more broad subjects, as they are both incredibly intelligent people, and I dare say Heather has the most soothing voice outside of NPR, lol. It’s tiresome to hear them harp on the same thing every time.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:09 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Wrong , If you don't get the job you move on. You don't try to force yourself into a job where you are not wanted. The only way to prove it was racism is to do better somewhere else.
That’s not what you said, though. You said that if you were rejected for a job, you would “err” on the side of assuming it was due to racism. Two unfortunate outcomes to doing that:

1) You are blaming racism for something that may have nothing related to racism, but just that you weren’t the best qualified, or perhaps you didn’t impress the interviewer, or any number of reasons. Thus, you are seeing racism where it may not exist, and you then think there’s more racism than there really is.

2). Because you chalk up your failure to get the job to the interviewer being a racist, you fail to address the REAL reasons for the poor outcome. You are missing a chance to improve.

And THIS is what the professor is saying.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:10 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Oh, nothing really. I generally agree with Loury, though he’s one voice among many, so forgive me if I’m not going to mount him on a pedestal and worship him as The One True Saint Of Knowledge.

What I was trying to get at is that no movement which uses false or weak assertions to prop itself up will actually help the movement to ultimately achieve its cause, and could indeed set the cause back for many years. That’s true in the most general sense, and I don’t see why it would be a noteworthy thing to say.
Well, see you've just proven my point. People are posting their unhappiness with the article and yet most of you have no specifics to point to when asked to be specific.

You're white. See how easy that is? It's like a game...lol.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:11 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,142,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I started listening to Bret, and while I admire him in some ways, I think he’s overplayed his woke victim card. I wanted to hear him and Heather talk about much more broad subjects, as they are both incredibly intelligent people, and I dare say Heather has the most soothing voice outside of NPR, lol. It’s tiresome to hear them harp on the same thing every time.

I agree with the focus on repetitious content to some degree, although presumably this constitutes a large portion of the means by which they earn a living (as well as support their children financially) and a combination of COVID-19 and social unrest are among the chief interests of prospective listeners, so I can't really blame them in that respect. I would like to hear more varied discussion, however.

I agree, Heather does have a rather soothing voice, haha.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:11 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
In other words, he wants his fellow Blacks to act more like us Indians as an ethnic group. Skin color is not a barrier for us.
Yawn. Lose the model minority myth nonsense already. I don't care if you're Tamil and have darker skin than an African American - that's just nonsense.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:15 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Deal with the facts I just presented. You said systemic racism didn't happen, so deal with the source of the gigantic wealth gap between Black & White HHs before we move in to something else.

I didn't say that systemic racism doesn't exit.

I'm saying that not everything that the Left wants to characterize as systemic racism, or even regular racism is a valid accusation.

And I think that's what the black professor is saying in the OP as well.

Using the rubber stamp accusation of racism like Chicken Little for every perceived injustice in the world is not doing the Left or Blacks in general any favors.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:15 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Quote:
From the article and the passage you quoted and take issue with:

Is the crime rate NOT much higher in black areas? Is that a fallacy? If so, please provide links to the numbers.

Is the possibility NOT higher in a black neighborhood that a driver being stopped might have a gun on him? Is that a fallacy? If so, please provide links to the numbers.

Langston Oklahoma, a "black area " 92% black has a crime rate between 29%-70% lower than the national average. There are about 13 of these small black towns left in Oklahoma. Wealthy predominately black communities have similar stats. Its small, big deal its still over 1000 black people who don't share the same crime stats as an area of Detroit or Chicago with 1000 black people. What gives?

Last edited by Yac; 11-12-2020 at 04:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies