Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 01:41 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
You know this is not true. You absolutely know this. All of the US cities that make it as difficult as possible to legally buy a gun are also very high crime.
The problem isn't the gun laws of Tennessee. The problem is the rough and tumble culture, and the culture of violence that has permeated that city since the beginning. Memphis once recorded a homicide rate of 89.9 per 100,000, in 1916. Memphis has been a rough city for a very long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 01:55 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I wasn't even talking about race and you're bringing up White people?
You should reread my entire post. Joe biden mentioned white nationals as a greater threat. But data would indicate a much different scenario is taking place. Places with large Caucasian populations are for the most part peaceful places.

Old 06-07-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
You should reread my entire post. Joe biden mentioned white nationals as a greater threat. But data would indicate a much different scenario is taking place. Places with large Caucasian populations are for the most part peaceful places.
I wasn't even talking about Joe Biden. I was talking about gun laws and the culture of violence.

Old 06-07-2021, 02:10 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
Yup, how is that defund the police campaign going in those cities? It's very difficult to have your cake and eat it too.

Old 06-07-2021, 02:18 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
SCHOOL shootings, probably white people.

Mass killings in general, and overall killings, black people.
Agreed.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:28 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve19605 View Post
Or have you checked the huge increase since BLM started. How many more thousands are killed because of less policing. And treating criminals like victims.

Or you think this is because there are somehow more guns.
I don't know what the causes are.

All I know is it's a lot easier and faster to shoot someone than it is to beat someone to death, stab them to death, strangle them, drown them, burn them, or whatever.

People use all those other things to kill too, all the time. I know that.

I also know that in Britain, there are far more lethal stabbings and slashings than there are here. Partly because knives are still easy to get than guns. If they had the availability we have here, I'm sure there would be a lot more shootings.

Guns are fast, easy, and lethal. Unlike a knife, there is no peaceful use for a gun. They are the great equilizer in any fight at any age for any gender. And there's nothing like death to settle a dispute permanently.

I've owned and shot guns all my life. I've killed my share of wild game and several good horses with my guns, but I've never wanted to take a human life with one, and I finally gave my last one away to a relative who's young and still has need of one to put a horse with a broken leg down.

Guns are not peace keepers. They are always trouble makers. Anyone who ever shoots someone else is in big trouble, no matter if the shooting is justified or socially acceptable.

I'm old now, but I have a solid aluminum baseball bat that I'm still able to swing hard enough to crack a skull or break an arm, and I'm not afraid to defend my life with it. It will take some work to defend my life. But if it's needed, I know I won't be so likely to spend a hunk of my last years in a jail cell when I use it. And until that dreadful day comes, I'm sure no child is likely to pick it up and kill himself (or herself) with it.

I think that if there were fewer guns, there would be fewer deaths.

Violence is always going to erupt once in a while. It is a part of human nature. Guns won't stop it, but they sure will escalate it.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Yup, how is that defund the police campaign going in those cities? It's very difficult to have your cake and eat it too.
Some of these cities were getting worse and worse before people were calling to defund the police.

Old 06-07-2021, 05:33 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,265 times
our war on drugs and quick access to guns whats the mystery?

Old 06-07-2021, 06:16 PM

Many murders in America take place during arguments. Someone feels disrespected by another person, and the response to perceived disrespect is killing. Culture of violence. The "shoot and ask questions later" mentality (no pun intended). Culture of violence.

Old 06-07-2021, 06:24 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
It looks like we need:

1. Gun laws similar to the UK and Italy
2. Social welfare policies similar to the UK and Italy

It's really funny the way the OP rants against liberals in one thread, but in another thread (unwittingly) makes a great case for more liberalism!
Amen!!!

The strong social safety net of those countries a Europe truly help keep crime down....couple that w/ very strict laws governing fire arms and you get far safer societies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies