Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2021, 09:04 AM

1,069 posts, read 746,823 times

Advertisements

I hadn't watched the news in months until this debacle in Afghanistan began to unfold that's stranded 15K Americans throughout that country. I'm watching in disbelief as the nation that I served for 42 years executes one of most poorly planned evacuations and retreats in the history of the U.S. military. Our departure from Afghanistan was long overdue but the abrupt manner that the current president and his advisers chose to withdraw the U.S. military has left a vacuum that will ultimately cost thousands of lives as the Taliban commit genocide on their own people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 09:05 AM

100 posts, read 45,004 times
The worm has turned….

The liberal media has turned on dementia Joe with a vengeance

Afghanistan's Taliban takeover was predictable. How did Biden miss the red flags?

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...ss-ncna1277067

Axelrod: These are the battle scars Biden brought to Afghanistan decision

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/18/opini...rod/index.html

Old 08-19-2021, 09:07 AM

2,871 posts, read 1,151,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you must be very young. in 2001, damn near everyone wanted us to be there.

and no, the mess was 'not just waiting to happen,' and it wouldn't have been such a fiasco if handled competently.

unfortunately our smooth-brained moron of a CIC is the furthest thing from competent.

‘Utter BS!’ House Dem NUKES Biden’s Afghanistan Claims
All this, and more. Our allies are stunned, and at this rate, we're not going to have many allies in the world.
Watch the Good Morning America interview. Three words stand out: "I don't recall."
What in God's name is it going to take to get this imbecile out of office?

Old 08-19-2021, 09:11 AM

17,426 posts, read 14,657,652 times
Out of 2000 people the US has evacuated in the last 24 hours, only 300 were Americans.

WTF.

Get the Americans out of there. Christ.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:13 AM

30,169 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We did have a military force still there but how do we control the situation when the Afghan military and government disappeared overnight. This was supposed to be a somewhat organized withdrawal over the last few weeks, instead it turned into total chaos thanks to the Afghans.
It was I believe a 10 day or so process not overnight. It was pretty clear as the taliban took town after town that the military was not up to the task.

And the mistake was Biden and his advisors relying on the Afghans.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:14 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I have a feeling that I am going to be mostly absent from C-D for a while. I can only take so much madness. First, COVID and now THIS.
I disappeared after the election last November and didn't return to this forum (I was still posting in other forums on c-d) until recently. You'd be surprised how nice a break is when you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
She'll be a lame duck. Unless DJT is the nominee again(or someone worse)...

Forced myself to watch the Creepy Joe clip in the OP. Good grief the absolute incompetence, lack of self awareness is astounding. I knew he would suck but damn. He's making me miss Dubya; it's THAT bad.
I can't watch him. I couldn't watch Trump either, but at least I felt he cared about people and the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDonna View Post
I have a theory about why his puppet masters kept him hidden all weekend, and only brought him out days later to muddle his way through a speech prepared by someone else:

It's his dementia. My mother has it, and in the early stages (please....I hope Mom's decline is slooooow), and she has days where she is normal, and other days where she doesn't even know where she lives. Biden's puppet masters were waiting for one of his "good" days ("good" being relative) for him to attempt to read a speech off the teleprompter.

I do the same with my mother. I will have a plan to take her out somewhere, and when I arrive at her facility, she is so "out of it" that I don't want the responsibility to manage her out in public - she can get very disoriented and then panic - and put the plans on hold. The next day, she'll be fine, and I'll decide "today is the day for Mom's outing."

This is why I think there was a delay. Dementia is a horrible thing.
I hadn't thought of this, but it makes sense. They have to wait until he's having a more lucid day before they can trot him out. We have a president who works part time because he's suffering dementia most of the time. I can't believe anyone voted for this clown. He was out of it in most of 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Out of 2000 people the US has evacuated in the last 24 hours, only 300 were Americans.

WTF.

But they did manage to get out Afghanistan's biggest pop star, Aryana Sayeed. SMH....

Old 08-19-2021, 09:17 AM

30,169 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post

WTF.

One problem is we don't where most of them are. And the other is we are going to have to get them one by one by helicopter because its too dangerous for them in the streets.

Its just one big dumpster fire.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:17 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
As I pointed out to the other person who made the same claim, the best estimate they gave for a possible collapse was 6 months after troop withdrawal, AND the contracts were renegotiated with the Afghan government and US contractors chose to Re-Up and put their people in harms way.

You are blaming Biden because after 20 years the Afghan Government was a house of cards, and because contractors were greedy and left their people to die essentially.

You can try all you want, im not blaming him for either of those things.
Why Americans signed up to be contractors is irrelevant. Greedy?? These contractors know that there have been more civilian contractors killed in Afghanistan, than US soldiers. So they knew the risks, the money they were paid was commensurate with the risks they were taking. Thousands of civilian contractors have lost their lives, so stop calling them greedy.

The reason why Biden is to blame is because of his reckless and incompetent handling of the withdrawal. Biden single-handedly created the utter chaos we see now. The contractors relied solely on Biden and his people to keep them informed and warn them when the country was no longer safe to work in. Biden falsely assured these 18,000 or so contractors that they had months before the Taliban were a threat. They remained in the country, based upon Biden's assurances that there was ZERO chance Taliban would overrun the country and there would never be a scenario in which we'd be forced to repeat a Saigon-like retreat under fire.

It doesn't matter if an American civilian was risking his life for a fat paycheck, they were relying on Biden to keep them safe and let them know when it was time to leave.

Now we have thousands of American civilians stranded outside Kabul, because our government abandoned them. There are also thousands of civilians from our allied nations, like Europe, India, Philippines, Australia, etc.. and many of them are trapped outside Kabul. And John Kirby tells them they need to follow a process to contact our state department, provide documentation, and get on a list, and we will try to evacuate you if you can pass thru many Taliban checkpoints and make it to the airport.

Of course, if the Taliban thugs outside Kabul decide that killing, raping or enslaving you and stealing your stuff is more fun, then you will never be seen or heard from again.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:18 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Regarding Harris:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
They'll just send her over there to conference with the Taliban...burka-less. Problem solved.
LOL, Mrs. Skeffington. How can we make this happen?

Old 08-19-2021, 09:20 AM

17,426 posts, read 14,657,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
One problem is we don't where most of them are. And the other is we are going to have to get them one by one by helicopter because its too dangerous for them in the streets.

Its just one big dumpster fire.
They don't even know how many Americans there are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies