Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2021, 08:06 PM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times

Advertisements

What surprises many liberals is Afghanistan was relatively safe for the past 20 years.

Thousands of stranded Americans are dual citizens or have spouses/family in Afghanistan and had no problem living there for past 10-15 years since the place was relatively safe.

“20 years was a waste.” No it wasn’t, these Americans were able to live there for those 20 years.

We basically created “American refugees” who must now uproot themselves back to America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 08:08 PM

1,969 posts, read 676,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Yes. For one thing he would have left the troops, airbases, weapons UNTIL all were out safely. Second, he would have left enough nearby poised and willing to make the Taliban sand if they simply breathed incorrectly.

Third, he would have left Afghan fighters ALL the tools our troops used. Not told them to use their fists to fight The Taliban.

It takes the guts to be ready to decimate the other side if needed, w/o flinching.
This it takes courage and determination to be a leader. People forget that Trump dropped the Mother of All Bombs on the Taliban. No one in their right mind would act thinking that he wouldn't do it again. No say the same for Biden.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:09 PM

8,630 posts, read 10,157,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Oh my God. We desperately needed to get these people out. They trusted us and we've let them down.

There are no words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I heard other reports saying those records were in the hands of the Taliban. The level of human suffering that Biden's incompetence has, and will create, cannot be measured. It's like giving the Nazis the names and addresses of all Jews in Europe, they are going to be raped, enslaved and murdered.

"I am president of the United States of America, and the buck stops with me," he said. "I am deeply saddened by the facts we now face, but I do not regret my decision."

He has much blood on his hands
Yes we do. She also mentioned that because the checkpoints were opened/then closed and the gates at the airport were opening/closing, between the military and State Dept., the orders were changing constantly with uncertainty when making decisions. Some private American citizens, many former veterans (but not all), some on the ground and some here, are trying to search and rescue the families of special operations soldiers and move them to safe houses because they are being hunted. They are literally on the brink of going to the Germans and Australians to get permission because the US Military and State Dept. keep blocking the flights, refusing clearances.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:10 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
"I am president of the United States of America, and the buck stops with me," he said. "I am deeply saddened by the facts we now face, but I do not regret my decision."

My Father told me that when a President of these days says that, it means nothing. They aren't the ones who are writing the letters to the parents.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:10 PM

30,180 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Because it's not hypothetical when our only other choice was Trump.

Post to which I responded says its all on Biden voters. Indeed, it is. Did you read it?

Question, would Trump have done this better?
Its a hypothetical because Biden is POTUS. No way to know what would have happened under Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I'm pretty sure he and Miler would have told our Afghan partners to eat sand.

My guess is he would have done a better job getting Americans out first. I have complained very loudly on here about Trump, especially the last year in office. But his foreign policy went pretty well. There was nothing like this. You go by who is in charge and what they have done.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:12 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Or, there are not enough words to describe this betrayal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DztdH9DylNw
Thanks for the video. I'd seen it before when you or someone else posted it and couldn't remember this man's name. Matt Zeller. Appreciate you posting it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I've heard the Taliban are killing Afghans with Christian things on their phones.

Boris Johnson repeatedly tried to call Biden right away to have a coordinated military effort when it was unraveling, but Biden didn't get back for 36 hours and it was too late.

Biden needed his naps and ice cream snacks for 36 hours before he could call our biggest ally back.

Elect clowns, expect a circus.
Why is it nobody cares when Christians are slaughtered other than Christians?

This is as disgusting as Bill Clinton being remiss in his duties because he was busy with Monica Lewinsky. They don't care that lives are at stake. As Hillary said, 'What difference does it make?'

I blew it by voting for Obama twice. I'm so glad I didn't vote for this bonehead.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:13 PM

26,512 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Watch both Russia and China bid on them.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:15 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Yes we do. She also mentioned that because the checkpoints were opened/then closed and the gates at the airport were opening/closing, between the military and State Dept., the orders were changing constantly with uncertainty when making decisions. Some private American citizens, many former veterans (but not all), some on the ground and some here, are trying to search and rescue the families of special operations soldiers and move them to safe houses because they are being hunted. They are literally on the brink of going to the Germans and Australians to get permission because the US Military and State Dept. keep blocking the flights, refusing clearances.
Why?? I hadn't heard that piece of it.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:17 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,516,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This chaos in Afghanistan was not created in the last 8 months. This is years and years of the USA meddling in a country that doesn't play by the same rules.

Nobody would have predicted that the Afghan Army/President would abandon their posts so quickly....NOBODY.

Not one of you expressed concern when Trump announced the May 1 deadline. Because nobody predicted it.
No, this is what happens when you pull the military out of a combat zone BEFORE you evacuate civilians and remove you equipment.

But partisanship beats intelligence, right?

Go ahead and spin your wheels, and still try to blame Trump.Not sure how that all makes sense in your head.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:17 PM

13,276 posts, read 7,326,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Dude - one thing has nothing to do with the other...

Trump did not coordinate this debacle. It amazes me how Biden, and people like you, still want to make every screwup Trump's fault. Biden has been president since January
Your just trying to make excuses for Trump this was his plan Biden just kept following it because Biden wanted to get out of there as soon as possible.

What is screwed up? Has there been a single American killed there since this started? Just admit it you really don't want those Afghans being brought to America.

Trump did let them out of prison yet you gloss over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies