Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 08:26 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
A lot of people would rather play video games, binge watch TV or chat at a bar for hours instead of reading a good book.

So, it's not surprising that people's reading level would be so low.
On the other hand, people are reading more than ever. Ever.

If it's only staring at their phone, those people are reading. They're reading on their phones.

There are book clubs skyrocketing; whether it's neighborhood book clubs, or public book clubs like Oprah's book club, Today Show book club, or Reese Witherspoon's book club.

Amazon built an empire, starting with only selling books.

We're all sitting right here reading, each other's posts.

Read read read read read.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:01 PM

18,494 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Fast food pays better than teachers here. Subs make $80 a day. My daughter has her teaching certificate but works home health care because the pay is much better.
That’s the beauty of funding education at the local level. Poor areas stay poor and rich areas stay rich! And here’s the icing on the cake: the Republicans can always blame the teachers for the lousy results.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:05 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You can find all the evidence you need on this forum. Not only can people not read, they can't reason, and they can't separate fact from fiction.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:33 PM

1,869 posts, read 843,254 times
i know i do, maybe eight grade at the best. english language is so hard

Old 01-28-2022, 09:39 PM

10,857 posts, read 4,534,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesBoy View Post
Then why is it that Republican states have the highest rates of illiteracy and poverty? Red states do very little when it comes to powering America's engine and/or competing globally.
There is a well known sign inside the control room at Nasa's Houston facility. Yanno the one, the one they call into when they got a problem.

It reads: no rocket scientist WOULD ever be a liberal. No liberal COULD ever be a rocket scientist.

Think Elon Musk is woke?

Old 01-28-2022, 09:52 PM

9,880 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Not surprising. The instant gratification and tech generations don't have the patience or incentive to read.And everything must be fun or pleasurable ie video games, music, movies etc. There are education issues as well with teachers and student chasing metrics and grades rather than actual learning. Going to get worse without common standards or a common language.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:55 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
A lot of people would rather play video games, binge watch TV or chat at a bar for hours instead of reading a good book.

So, it's not surprising that people's reading level would be so low.
How do you know that they aren't reading when they get back home from the bar?
I try to be social when I go out to bars, and such. When I'm home, I may be reading the newspaper and doing the crossword with spouse. Reading comments on forums like City Data, I've got books and magazines at home but I've also ordered a few online as well. Both iPad and iPhone have a library section where the book I ordered is located.

Old 01-28-2022, 10:12 PM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
I’m tired of all this bashing of college students, book banning and trashing the liberal arts. As a retired school librarian it saddens me that it might just keep getting worse. I once sported a bumper sticker. “We still read”.
Well, I guess learning how to put a condom on a cucumber, trying to fabricate the nine hundred and fifty-first gender, and learning to judge others based on their skin color, wasn't really more important than learning to read, write, do math, and think logically after all...

Hmmm.

Old 01-28-2022, 10:32 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Parents have such high expectations of teachers. They fail to recognize that they are also their teachers. Don't you help your kids by reinforcing what they have learned in reading. Do you ask them to read something to you and help them when they can't pronounce words. Teachers have 30 plus kids to educate. Parents need to do their part.

Old 01-28-2022, 10:49 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Where in the world did you come up with this nonsense? Do you even know any Classroom teachers? If you think they are so overpaid, apply for a teaching job.
I had teachers that totally ignored those that needed help. Yes there are really good teachers, but there are teachers that has no business in the teaching position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies