Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2022, 09:18 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,769,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Can anyone explain why a judge being questioned for placement on the Supreme Court is being asked her opinion about children's literature meant for 4-7 year old kids? I'm seriously not seeing the connection. Is that relevant to adjudicating cases judged by the SC? Why not ask her for her opinion about Sesame Street? Dora The Explorer?
Because she will be ruling on cases that involve such things. They rightfully want to know where she stands on these topics. It's very reasonable to want to gain some insight to her thinking on these subjects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 09:45 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,037,795 times
Mathguy's comment was spot on, and the gypsy's "I have a dream" speech is melodramatic at best.

As long as there are people breathing on this planet, there will be biases against women, people of color, foreigners, the poor, the old, the lgbtq population, and on and on and on. News flash: those who harbor biases and bigotry are far outnumbered by those who do not.

KBJ is certainly qualified if her experience & education were the only factors on the table. Her gender and skin color should not matter one whit pro or con to her sitting on the bench. What should matter, and what DOES matter is her ideology. She has shown that ideology in her past sentencing, and she has shown it during these hearings - she simply should not be the next judge in the SCOTUS.

It is an ideology that further divides our country, because it is shared by too many like the gypsy who delight in using semantics and hyperbole to try and convince less informed citizens that if they don't go along with this BS, then they are racists and misogynists.

Last edited by bridgerider; 03-26-2022 at 10:25 AM..

Old 03-26-2022, 10:26 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
The Democrat Senate is a joke. This is what you expect from teenage girls when they see a boy band. I thought Booker was going to throw his panties at the judge. Elvis in da house. Privilege people acting the opposite.
Hawley, Blackburn, Graham, Cruz were mor interested in partisan politics than intelligent legal questions, it was as if this was the campaign with CRT, transgender, soft on crime and all the other election issues. Graham was especially childish with his his hissy fits leaving the room twice in his temper tantrum. Great speech by Booker and very touching although it had little do with her qualifications.

Old 03-26-2022, 10:42 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Because she will be ruling on cases that involve such things. They rightfully want to know where she stands on these topics. It's very reasonable to want to gain some insight to her thinking on these subjects.
I am in no way an expert on the Supreme Court, but my understanding is that they select which cases to hear. I can't imagine that they would consider children's literature for 4-7 year olds of such magnitude that it requires Supreme Court intervention. We have bigger fish to fry, so to speak.

I didn't watch the entire proceeding, but she impressed me with how she conducted herself and how she handled answering the questions. Actually, in comparison, she was a whole lot more SC judge-like than that one guy a few years ago:
Attached Thumbnails
Biden to nominate Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to Supreme Court-7bb57da3-15e0-453b-825b-a2bbefd88799.png  

Old 03-26-2022, 11:29 AM

17,642 posts, read 6,918,695 times
Any Republican who votes for this Marxist needs to be primaried and defeated. She’s not fit for her current position, much less the Supreme Court.

Old 03-26-2022, 12:08 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,444,403 times
Quote:
I doubt very seriously she will be ruling on these issues because when the Republicans stop with their book burnings to win current elections they will move on to some other nonexistent topic they can use to fearmonger votes.

But, assuming it might come up if Republicans go far enough to create backlash, that is all the more reason for her not to take a stand on the issue.

Her doing so would be no different than the last three conservative judges nominated failing to elucidate their positions on issues they will likely be ruling on.

Old 03-26-2022, 04:34 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,711,302 times
Quote:
Considering how Ketanji Brown Jackson does not know what the definition of a woman is, how do we know if she is a woman or not? Who is to say?...........................................
Hmmmmm. Well considering the honorable Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson did not resort to anger, whining & crying or have a hostility filled partisan rant and emotional breakdown at her confirmation hearing, I'd say your answer is staring you in the face.

A woman, is someone who just withstood 3 days of public Republican harassment and held her head high and her person composed with unaffected grace, superior intellect and steely endurance, all the while refusing to give the bullies an inch of their attempted diminishment.

That's a woman, dear.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 03-26-2022 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 03-26-2022, 04:42 PM

17,642 posts, read 6,918,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
A woman, is someone who just withstood 3 days of public Republican harassment and held her head high and her person composed wtth unaffected grace, superior intellect and steely endurance, all the while refusing to give the bullies an inch of their attempted diminishment.

That's a woman, dear.
That's your opinion. She appears manly to me, and quite unqualified to be a judge.

Old 03-26-2022, 04:42 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6T1R View Post
Nasty woman.

Awww did that woman sound like she knew what she was talking about, and was all learned and stuff? How dare she.

Old 03-26-2022, 04:53 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
That's your opinion. She appears manly to me, and quite unqualified to be a judge.

Your opinion is a straight out nonsense. Jackson has had above average qualifications to be a supreme court judge. Go compare them to some of the others.

The AMA gave her a well qualified vote by unanimous vote. Better or the same as all of the current SC. Police associations have recommended her, and she has had extensive court experience in one of the most challenging districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies