Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 194 39.27%
No 251 50.81%
Unsure 49 9.92%
Voters: 494. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 09:37 AM

4,617 posts, read 3,813,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Why offer Russia this deal if Ukraine is going to win this war??? Besides, the territories of Ukraine are not Biden's. He cannot just wheel and deal them away. How does Zelensky feel about this? Probably not very pleased about it. This is also bad optics. It makes it seem like the US owns Ukraine or thinks that it does. Other countries are watching and will act accordingly. A significant US credibility hit as I see it.

You haven't been paying attention to this thread. There's a big, genius plan that will be put in place by Russia later this month, or March at the latest. It will involve lots of manpower and airstrikes that will win the war I've heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2023, 10:30 AM

5,049 posts, read 2,756,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
You haven't been paying attention to this thread. There's a big, genius plan that will be put in place by Russia later this month, or March at the latest. It will involve lots of manpower and airstrikes that will win the war I've heard.
I've also heard that. But we don't know if this will take place or when if it does. What is known is that Russia is fighting this war with a fraction of their manpower. Why, I don't know. The Russians have been hoarding their forces and adding to it with their mobilization. They are just sitting there - tanks, armored infantry, regular infantry, etc. Presumably, they will use them one day, after Ukraine wins perhaps. Western experts are predicting a Ukrainian victory anyway, so that must be true.

Bad, bad Biden, for treating Ukraine like it was your own turf and giving an impression that Ukraine is losing this war. What could he have been thinking?

Last edited by BusinessManIT; 02-02-2023 at 10:40 AM..

Old 02-02-2023, 10:53 AM

4,617 posts, read 3,813,981 times
"Speaking to French media, Reznikov warned that Russia would call on a large contingent of mobilised troops. Referring to Russia’s general mobilisation of 300,000 conscripted soldiers in September last year, he claimed that numbers at the border suggest the true size could be closer to 500,000."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ry-ukraine-war

Old 02-02-2023, 11:24 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,188,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I've also heard that. But we don't know if this will take place or when if it does. What is known is that Russia is fighting this war with a fraction of their manpower. Why, I don't know. The Russians have been hoarding their forces and adding to it with their mobilization. They are just sitting there - tanks, armored infantry, regular infantry, etc. Presumably, they will use them one day, after Ukraine wins perhaps. Western experts are predicting a Ukrainian victory anyway, so that must be true.

Bad, bad Biden, for treating Ukraine like it was your own turf and giving an impression that Ukraine is losing this war. What could he have been thinking?
During WW2 the USSR kept I mln army in Manchuria ready to strike if Japan enters the war on German side.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:27 AM

29,886 posts, read 25,028,314 times
Quote:
"Speaking to French media, Reznikov warned that Russia would call on a large contingent of mobilised troops. Referring to Russia’s general mobilisation of 300,000 conscripted soldiers in September last year, he claimed that numbers at the border suggest the true size could be closer to 500,000."

Putin claimed the number would be closer to 1.5 million. However, Russia typically talks bigger than it's actual bite.

France doesn't want to go to war with Russia. With France's track record in war, you can't blame them for wanting to avoid direct confrontation.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:

It definitely could be about half a million Russian troops as Reznikov fears. They certainly have a lot of troops and this Ukrainian minister agrees. And Russia does rely on symbolism so an attack on February 24 is certainly possible. But that may be too obvious as Reznikov was easily able to see that possibility. So I don't know. It feels like a ton of Russian bricks are suspended above Ukraine which can fall at any time. And Ukraine's power grid has been degraded with many Ukrainians sitting in the dark and cold. This certainly affects the Ukrainian military as well. Several Ukrainian top dogs in the government have resigned or been removed. The Ukrainians are working with severe disadvantages.

Sending military hardware to Ukraine is well and good, but the only thing that can prevent a Ukrainian debacle is hundreds of thousands of NATO boots on the ground with balanced ground and air forces.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:32 AM

51,690 posts, read 25,962,710 times
What are you talking about? It's already a Ukrainian debacle.

Whole cities have been bombed to rubble. Thousands of Ukrainians have been murdered. Some tortured.

And there's a good chance it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
During WW2 the USSR kept I mln army in Manchuria ready to strike if Japan enters the war on German side.
Yes, that is one reason why Russia is not fighting with all or even the majority of their forces. They have to be ready everywhere with enough troops to handle any contingency in any part of their big country that NATO could take advantage of if it wasn't covered. Nevertheless, the 300,000 to 500,000 Russian forces that we have been discussing are poised for use in Ukraine and not anywhere else.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:38 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,188,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Putin claimed the number would be closer to 1.5 million. However, Russia typically talks bigger than it's actual bite.

France doesn't want to go to war with Russia. With France's track record in war, you can't blame them for wanting to avoid direct confrontation.
In the USSR times their Army was around 3.5 - 4 mln, today they would be able to collect 3 mln without much effort, at least 2 mln would be fully equpped on short notice, then they can declare 'emergency' with 24/7 the whole country mobilization ( military and industry) similar to 1941-1945. I don't think anyone can beat Russia in that mode.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What are you talking about? It's already a Ukrainian debacle.

Whole cities have been bombed to rubble. Thousands of Ukrainians have been murdered. Some tortured.

And there's a good chance it's going to get worse before it gets better.
By "Ukrainian debacle", I mean the point that Ukraine loses the whole war and it is a complete victory for the Russians. Yes, I also think that it will get a lot worse, for the Ukrainians that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies