Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2022, 01:37 PM

13,460 posts, read 4,297,780 times

Advertisements

I wish owning a Porsche should be a right. See who gets lucky first.

Old 07-24-2022, 01:37 PM

89,048 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I don't know anyone who gives two craps about contraception and whether or not it should be a right.
I don't either. 16% of Republican voters are opposed to contraceptives. Republicans are 28.8% of the voting population. So only 4.6% of voters. Tiny amount.

Old 07-24-2022, 01:40 PM

43,127 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
There may be a lot of people interested in the Department of Transportation though.
?
I stated I never heard it mentioned by anyone before and no one gave a crap before.

For as long as I can remember..if you want contraceptives you go to PP and get them.

But now....the extremists on both sides are losing their sh*t over what the other party "might" do so now they have to enact a law...."just in case".

It's truly bizarro world these days.

Worry about the economy, worry about our failing education system, worry about the open borders,....etc.
There's plenty enough for Congress to worry about then some woman's desire to get contraceptives because the other side "might outlaw it".

Old 07-24-2022, 01:42 PM

89,048 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You presented that based on a poll you held 85% of GOP voters have no issue with contraception and that its all left hysteria, so to speak.

I present a valid example of what the right is doing in areas that sane people would never think of but to the far right any information they don't agree with is a threat. And you wonder why the left want to ensure that something as simple as contraception doesn't get outlawed by the right....

But as you demonstrated freedom of speech being restricted doesn't matter but one sarcastic mention of 2a and off you go, in fact you whole response proves exactly what I said.
"Doing?" Post any state law that bans contraception. ANY. We'll wait...

There are NONE. This is just typical lefty hysteria.

Old 07-24-2022, 01:44 PM

43,127 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Do you know younger women of childbearing age? It’s a huge concern for them. Clearly this isn’t an issue for those past menopause.

And once more, it’s the right to purchase at your own expense with input from your doctor. No one is expecting free contraception. This is America, we’re too stupid to do that.
No..it's a huge concern for politicians that need a dog and pony show to keep party loyalty.

They sure sucked you in didn't they ?

Old 07-24-2022, 01:54 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
There may be a lot of people interested in the Department of Transportation though.

Here's the recent bill: H.R.8373 — 117th Congress (2021-2022) under related bills, which is where I've linked.

"Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 8294) making appropriations for the Departments of Transportation, and Housing and Urban Development, and related agencies for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2023, and for other purposes; providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 8373) to protect a person's ability to access contraceptives and to engage in contraception, and to protect a health care provider's ability to provide contraceptives, contraception, and information related to contraception; providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 8404) to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act and ensure respect for State regulation of marriage, and for other purposes; and for other purposes."

And I found another: H.R.6005 - Access to Birth Control Act

The committee on both is, House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Health

While people are thinking things over they may want to figure out what this has to do with access to over the counter contraception without a doctors prescription. However, my big question is what does, Departments of Transportation, and Housing and Urban Development, have to do with BC?
Quote:
I stated I never heard it mentioned by anyone before and no one gave a crap before.

For as long as I can remember..if you want contraceptives you go to PP and get them.

But now....the extremists on both sides are losing their sh*t over what the other party "might" do so now they have to enact a law...."just in case".

It's truly bizarro world these days.

Worry about the economy, worry about our failing education system, worry about the open borders,....etc.
There's plenty enough for Congress to worry about then some woman's desire to get contraceptives because the other side "might outlaw it".
What about the commerce side of BC and going to a PP to get them? And what does Departments of Transportation, and Housing and Urban Development, have to do with BC?

What the media is going on about the content is published for everyone and one should be able to ascertain for themselves the reasons for the R & D side of things --- you know, the real one.

Seems to me the point Justice Scalia made about broccoli and government mandates the individual to make purchases of items the Federal government deems necessary and appropriate, is exactly what is being played out in the House and Senate. That should give every one cause for concern. You know, the commerce part of the Constitution, that one if left unchecked can reek havoc on our everyday lives.

PS: no State has ever brought up a ban on BC --- so what is the issue really?

Old 07-24-2022, 02:00 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,552,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
After Clarence Thomas declared that the constitutional right to contraception should be reconsidered just like Roe was, Democrats passed a bill in the House of Representatives to make the right to contraception a federal law, despite Republican opposition, so that no American in any state would ever have to fear losing their access to contraception simply based on where they live:
Good. Sounds like Congress and the Senate will have some real topics to discuss in the future. No more fence riding.

Old 07-24-2022, 02:22 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,936,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Property rights are universal and absolute. Contraceptives are property.

The federal government need not grant a right that is already assumed to exist, so says the 9th Amendment.

The federal government has no enumerated power over property rights generally nor contraceptives specifically, so the 10th Amendment is also clear.

Thus, there is neither a need, valid excuse, nor constitutional justification for the federal government to be "granting" anything where contraception is concerned.

Simple.
"Property rights are universal and absolute." Don't be so sure. It doesn't say that in the Constitution. A lot of us thought that there was a right to privacy. Apparently we were wrong.

When states start outlawing contraception, what will you say then?

Old 07-24-2022, 02:34 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
In fact I never heard anything about it until the SC ruling on RvW.
Then it was from the left...."next they're gonna to take away......." mantra as usual.
It's kind of ironic since the left wants to literally control every facet of your life from speech to where you live, what you eat, what you drive what to think.

As the saying goes, what they accuse you of doing, they themselves are doing.

Old 07-24-2022, 02:41 PM

21,944 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Only in the fever dreams of hysterical weirdos.
Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies