Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 11:56 AM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
you really can't make this **** up

"California residents are being told not to charge their electric vehicles due to possible blackouts just one week after the state announced it would ban the sale of gas-powered cars in 2035."

"The state issued a heat advisory Tuesday, warning excessive heat “will stress [the] energy grid.”

“Consumers are urged to reduce energy use from 4-9 p.m. when the system is most stressed because demand for electricity remains high and there is less solar energy available,” the state said in the notice. “The top three conservation actions are to set thermostats to 78 degrees or higher, avoid using large appliances and charging electric vehicles, and turn off unnecessary lights.”

https://dailycaller.com/2022/08/31/c...power-outages/
Your title is incredibly misleading. They have not "banned" gas cars and they have not "banned" charging cars.

The keystone cop nature of their state govt is evident enough without having to resort to headline baiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 11:56 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,557,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
When the "leadership" has a collective IQ in the single digits, this is the sort of thing to expect. But then you guys in paradise voted them in, didn't you? Have fun walking.
Californians elected those people to be in the leadership positions.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:09 PM

6,365 posts, read 2,698,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I should have been more specific. Allow me to clarify. I avoid using the oven, dishwasher, and clothes washer during peak hours. Some electric appliances must continue running around the clock as you point out.
So since California considers peak hours from 4-9 PM, you avoid using your oven from 4-9 PM.

And you don't see that this might be an issue?

Old 08-31-2022, 12:15 PM

24,461 posts, read 17,207,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
But won't it be great when they force you into an EV and control the only source of power to it? Emergency no drive mandates. They flick a switch and you are limited how many miles you can drive or when you can charge if they allow you to charge and if you can even drive at all. The UK is facing something like 80% price hikes.

When they control the distribution they can throttle you down so everything will be fine. Lol Didn't manage to pay your power bill? Guess who doesn't drive? I like EVs but control wise they could be a liberal totalitarians wet dream. Covid flair up? Hit the kill switch we (you) are staying in place.

They don't even want you to have a gas stove. It's scary to think of one entity being able to control the price and distribution for 100% of your energy needs. Yet people fall for the thesis that an EV is going to save you money. They love to boast about how they get free electricity. That's just the crack dealer getting them hooked.

What do you do when electricity goes up 10 fold and everything in your life requires it?

Great post.

I once owned a house that was heated by electric base boards and in the Summer the bill was not bad since only hot water was being heated but in the Winter the bill soared several hundred dollars. I rented this house out and the dead beat never paid her electric bill. She owed over $15,000 but since she was on disability the Electric company was not allowed to shut her off. I didn't have to pay it but we all did.

Having electric heat in the North East is stupid because it costs so much no matter how well insulated your house is but we have politicians that are pushing for this with new construction of commercial buildings to be all electric even though natural gas is a clean and reliable source.

Imagine a future where we are all driving EV's and they are of course linked to the internet like so many cars are these days and the Government does not like a comment that you left on a controversial website the night before and now your EV will not start citing that you need a time out.

They are already trying to give cops the ability to shut down a car they are chasing.

The future is going to be scary if the Left controls it.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:16 PM

5,926 posts, read 2,751,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I should have been more specific. Allow me to clarify. I avoid using the oven, dishwasher, and clothes washer during peak hours. Some electric appliances must continue running around the clock as you point out.
I don't like to waste resources by nature. I changed out my bulbs to LEDs years ago. Installed low flow faucet heads.

In addition, I have a gas stovetop, oven and water heater. And I live along the coast, so I actually don't have AC bc it's not needed and never use the heat in SoCal. So my energy usage is extremely low.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:18 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The Democrats are professionals at putting the cart before the horse and then passing the blame...

They can't handle the drain on the grid now never mind in 10 years when they start forcing everyone to go electric.

How bad will it get before the realize that going all out green was a stupid idea?

What is wrong with these Bozos that fail to use common sense and act accordingly?
It's a better situation to have than gas stations closed due to gas shortage. Of course, Biden would get the blame for that problem.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
So since California considers peak hours from 4-9 PM, you avoid using your oven from 4-9 PM.

And you don't see that this might be an issue?
Microwave TV dinner time!

Yeah it's a problem, that our own government asks us to not use appliances from 4-9pm. This is California, isn't this why we have a high CoL and pay high tax rates? What are we getting for all these taxes? All we want of Sacramento is to enforce laws, run the courts, build roads and keep the lights on. Is that too much to ask?

Old 08-31-2022, 12:20 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
The narrative being put forward is dishonest.

The problem isn't just demand from 4-9, it's the fact that they lose solar production around then as well.

Then they have to pay brutally for energy from other states to make the shortfall up.

But of course the govt. isn't going to admit to a problem with solar reliance and lack of base load at that time of day.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:21 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The Democrats are professionals at putting the cart before the horse and then passing the blame...

They can't handle the drain on the grid now never mind in 10 years when they start forcing everyone to go electric.

How bad will it get before the realize that going all out green was a stupid idea?

What is wrong with these Bozos that fail to use common sense and act accordingly?
No problem.

"It's Trump's fault!!!"

There, problem solved.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyRien View Post
Hmmm. I live in CA and there is a ban on *new* gas car sales in 2035, existing cars can operate.

And it's going to be 110 degrees her over the weekend so they want people to run their AC's to stay cool.
There is also a movement to ban gas stovetops at restaurants, requiring them to use electrical stove tops. Some cities in the Bay Area have already banned gas cooking.

You can't make this up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies