Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 04:38 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times

Advertisements

Pay attention Tesla fans and other EV supporters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
So how do they eliminate gas powered cars within ten years?
They sell the ignorant public on EVs, make it economically feasible with subsidies - and force auto companies to stop making gas powered cars because not enough people are buying them. Dodge just decided to stop making gas powered muscle cars. VW is not doing the Passat anymore. One by one...

If a company wanted to corner the market on gas powered cars, they could weather the storm and they would win big time in a few years. Not an easy task...

Last edited by DRob4JC; 08-31-2022 at 04:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 04:51 PM

1,154 posts, read 274,621 times
Did anybody not see this coming?

Old 08-31-2022, 04:53 PM

11,510 posts, read 6,021,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Pay attention Tesla fans and other EV supporters...

They sell the ignorant public on EVs, make it economically feasible with subsidies - and force auto companies to stop making gas powered cars because not enough people are buying them. Dodge just decided to stop making gas powered muscle cars. VW is not doing the Passat anymore. One by one...

If a company wanted to corner the market on gas powered cars, they could weather the storm and they would win big time in a few years. Not an easy task...
Production of gasoline powered cars is going to become a game of musical chairs.

Automakers are aware that at any time, western nations can simply ban the sale of ICE powered cars. Your idea for a company to corner the ICE market by focusing on producing them is a good one, if they could be certain governments would never suddenly ban them.

The problem for any given automaker is, if they only offer gas powered cars and the government suddenly bans them, they would go bankrupt and out of business before they could transition to building EVs.

So automakers are fearfully being bullied into adding EVs to their production lines as a hedge against the risk of ICE vehicles being suddenly banned over night. No single automaker can run the risk of cornering the ICE market only to find them suddenly banned and it is game over.

I like how you think, but I would never advise an automaker to put all of their eggs in one gasoline powered basket in this era of tyranical western governments that oppress companies with random and capricious laws, picking winners and losers politically rather than allowing the free market to decide which products consumers want most.

Old 08-31-2022, 05:26 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ah, American conservatives. "If it didn't happen to me, did it really happen at all?"
This is why I don't like anecdotal arguments that are made by both sides around here.

Probably a good joke in there somewhere though about Conservatives denying things they don't want to see....and liberals making up things that they do want to see.

I am pretty entrenched in my view at this point that the more political someone gets away from the middle, the more dishonesty and brain rot develops in their posts and commentary.

Old 08-31-2022, 05:28 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,054,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Even worse are idiots like Newsom who think they can power all those EVs with green energy. We have rolling blackouts now every summer when the temp approaches 100. And they are shutting down the last nuke and natural gas power plants.

California will be like Germany, dependent on another for its energy. But it will be neighboring states, not Russia. And add to that water.

What about desalinization? Oh, that takes loads of electricity.

The Marxists running California are dooming it to third world state.
California is ALREADY dependent on other states for their electricity. Thirty-five percent plus of California's electricity comes from other states. Most of that energy comes at night, when EV vehicles are generally charged.

Yesterday, I was checking the BPA(northwest grid) and California for electrical generation and there was a SIGNIFICANT jump in electrical demand for northwest electricity form California and unlike previous to today, BPA was able to meet the demand due to high river levels on the Columbia River. We are back to fall river levels in the northwest, and BPA could not shift the electricity south to California.

Here are the links for California power generation...pay attention to imports and natural gas generation. Yeah, EV's in California are charged with natural gas. Today's graph clearly shows that California's problem is the neighboring states quit sending it electricity.

http://www.caiso.com/todaysoutlook/pages/supply.aspx

Here is the link to the Northwest Power Grid: https://transmission.bpa.gov/Business/Operations/Wind/baltwg3.png

Yesterday, the intertie showed a huge jump in electricity demand and BPA increased the electricity sent to California to keep the grid from going down!!!

But the Columbia River is managed for recovery of Salmon in the northwest, NOT for generating electricity that is just a by product.

Yeah, in 2000 President Clinton suspended the Endangered Species Act to send electricity to California, I doubt that will happen today. The Democrats are all in for removing dams in the Northwest thus further limiting the electricity that is available for shipment to California.

It is amazing the mismanagement going on California. It is NOT a left/right issue.....just elect some people with a background in the sciences and engineering that will be HONEST with the voters.

California these days is the movie "Idiocracy" played out on a day to day basis TODAY instead of the future.

Last edited by 509; 08-31-2022 at 05:46 PM..

Old 08-31-2022, 05:37 PM

13,774 posts, read 8,019,999 times
Thousands without power in North Bay amid PG&E outage
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...y-17410916.php

Old 08-31-2022, 05:43 PM

12,994 posts, read 9,526,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
So how do they eliminate gas powered cars within ten years?
To be fair, it's not that they're wanting to get rid of existing gasoline engines; it applies to new car sales only.

However - even that is pretty much chasing unicorns. Summers are hot, almost by definition, and certainly at California latitudes. If they can't keep up with summer demands for electricity, how are they going to be able to charge all those EVs? And that's true for all the states, not just California. California just gets noticed because they're the first to be so radical in virtually everything. I understand that Virginia has some kooky law that they follow California's vehicle laws. Can't they make up their own minds?

Old 08-31-2022, 05:46 PM

12,994 posts, read 9,526,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gball721 View Post
Wow, that's very bad- Actually, maybe I'm under-stating that.

I heard last night that charging stations in France (sounded like they have some that are almost like large gas stations here in America... rows of chargers. Pop in to buy a soda while car charges) are being rationed because with the war France doesn't have enough LNG to power those power plants at near capacity. So people are literally sitting in charging station lines for several hours in Paris etc. Stinks to be them. I'll keep my ICE cars around -- gasoline shortages seem less likely than the rationing of electricity.
True, unless the shortages are artificial, created by the left. That's already happened to a certain extent - doubling or almost tripling gasoline prices, then lowering them a bit and crowing about what a good deal we're getting. While it's still over a dollar more per gallon than it was just a couple years ago, even after the "reduction".

And unless there are some major advances, charging a car will be a lot longer than it takes to sip on a soda.

Old 08-31-2022, 05:50 PM

27,660 posts, read 16,151,349 times
Its ok, the libs told me in another thread that solar panels (20k$) on your roof will solve this problem.

Old 08-31-2022, 05:54 PM

11,510 posts, read 6,021,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
To be fair, it's not that they're wanting to get rid of existing gasoline engines; it applies to new car sales only.

However - even that is pretty much chasing unicorns. Summers are hot, almost by definition, and certainly at California latitudes. If they can't keep up with summer demands for electricity, how are they going to be able to charge all those EVs? And that's true for all the states, not just California. California just gets noticed because they're the first to be so radical in virtually everything. I understand that Virginia has some kooky law that they follow California's vehicle laws. Can't they make up their own minds?
Baby steps to ban all gas powered car. Start with banning all new sales. Move on to banning everything but classic cars.

Eventually, California will simply request oil producers stop producing it's state-specific gas formula, but since that is the only legal formula allowed to be sold in the state, it will become a defacto ban on gasoline entirely. You will only able to fill up in neighboring states.

Of course, there will be exemptions and a permit process for rich "collectors" and others with "critical need" where a California bureaucrat will deny your request but approve ones from rich people, celebrities, pro athletes, and any other well connected elites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies