Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 03:08 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times

Advertisements

I have cancer. I have a week full of grueling, painful tests and then will promptly begin chemo. If I was pregnant, I would need to immediately have an abortion or wait 9 months to begin a treatment that will save my life. Few doctors (including my oncologist) would be willing to administer chemo while a woman is pregnant due both to the serious birth defects it causes and the issues it causes administering treatment to the mother.

Whenever I hear someone say that all abortion should be banned, all I hear is people advocating killing people like me- women who are of childbearing age who suddenly and shockingly are diagnosed with cancer (or other illnesses) and need treatments that are not compatible with pregnancy.

I am lucky that I am not pregnant, but if I was, it wouldn't take any thought to have that abortion and I am not at all ashamed to say it. My life is more important than a clump of cells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 06:14 PM

419 posts, read 868,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
The victim doesn't get a chance to fight back or scream for help and pain.
Embryo or fetus in pain? Evidence like this says it's unlikely:

Quote:
Fetal awareness of noxious stimuli requires functional thalamocortical connections. Thalamocortical fibers begin appearing between 23 to 30 weeks’ gestational age, while electroencephalography suggests the capacity for functional pain perception in preterm neonates probably does not exist before 29 or 30 weeks.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:22 PM

419 posts, read 868,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I have cancer. I have a week full of grueling, painful tests and then will promptly begin chemo. If I was pregnant, I would need to immediately have an abortion or wait 9 months to begin a treatment that will save my life. Few doctors (including my oncologist) would be willing to administer chemo while a woman is pregnant due both to the serious birth defects it causes and the issues it causes administering treatment to the mother.

Whenever I hear someone say that all abortion should be banned, all I hear is people advocating killing people like me- women who are of childbearing age who suddenly and shockingly are diagnosed with cancer (or other illnesses) and need treatments that are not compatible with pregnancy.

I am lucky that I am not pregnant, but if I was, it wouldn't take any thought to have that abortion and I am not at all ashamed to say it. My life is more important than a clump of cells.
I don't get those people who would value an embryo or young fetus, what amounts to basically a parasite, over an adult who has already made a life for herself in this world.

Take care and stay strong.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:36 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
Why do the right to lifers have to stick their noses where they don't belong ? Where are these bleeding hearts when Junior grows up to murder people who are not fetuses? Where are these same people when junior has severe hospital bills, and chronic diarrhea ?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:44 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
You're taking a life and deciding to end it. You take a life and then you make the "choice" to do so. Thats what murder is.

So how is it not considered murder? Abortion is taking a life. Just because a fetus is not born yet, does not mean its not a human. Thats how we all start.

We are all alive because our mothers gave birth to us and didnt end our lives in the womb.
It is NOT merely murder, it is infanticide. What kind of POS kills infants for mere convenience?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Read throught the threads its been debated a thousand times.

really?

then how is someone who murders a pregnant woman charged with murdering 2 rather than just the one? since a baby is not considered alive until it is born, how can anyone be charged with murder for the unborn fetus?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:50 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
You're taking a life and deciding to end it. You take a life and then you make the "choice" to do so. Thats what murder is.

So how is it not considered murder? Abortion is taking a life. Just because a fetus is not born yet, does not mean its not a human. Thats how we all start.

We are all alive because our mothers gave birth to us and didnt end our lives in the womb.

It is murder.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:53 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My life is more important than a clump of cells.
You are saying that your life is more important than another's life. You are also a "clump of cells".

Old 02-09-2011, 11:54 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Why do the right to lifers have to stick their noses where they don't belong ? Where are these bleeding hearts when Junior grows up to murder people who are not fetuses? Where are these same people when junior has severe hospital bills, and chronic diarrhea ?
You post makes no sense. Just because you want to protect an infant from infanticide, doesn't mean you have adopted them for life. This "boilerplate" you cite (and it is soo worn out) is meaningless.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:59 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:

A fetus is not born. It is not murder. Now, ask yourself, why isn't War murder - you should be more worried about that, than whether your mother kept you. There's an old adage "I never asked to be born"...answer: "If you had, the answer would have been no" In most cases, when bringing someone into the world that is neither loved or wanted, abortion is a godsend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies