Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 01:49 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who knew he wasn't white? It was an extreme fixation, his thing for blondes, that's enough to be controversial and of concern. The rest is irrelevant.
No, it isn't, and he looked more Asian than he did in many of the photos and videos often shown.

Quote:
Who says clinginess isn't as bad when women do it? Apparently you haven't seen all the threads disparaging clinginess in women on the Relationships forum.
Men complain about it, but they generally aren't dumping or rejecting women for being "needy."

Also, I know Elliot Rodger was mentally unwell regardless of women, but his struggles with them clearly pushed him into psychosis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 12:57 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Well, don't go by American culture, since over here there's more than the average amount of superficiality. Hollywood sets our insane standards too much, and men and women are expected to look and behave like superheroes or something.

Companionship is the whole idea behind dating, and there's nothing as awesome as an affectionate man!!!!

Nerves are a different story from affection though. When seeing someone or even hooking up - it's so much nicer to be calmer. I guess what I mean is not appear overtly nervous?

I don't want to come across here like some Dr. Ruth the Sex Therapist, but for anyone who finds it difficult to contain him or herself on a date from the excitement of potential sex, I'm reminded of the movie, Gone With The Wind in which Mammy told Scarlett to eat at home before going out to the party, so she didn't make a complete hog of herself in front of the menfolk by eating huge amounts of food.

I'd apply that to a date, I think. Maybe it's not an altogether bad idea for anyone in that situation (nervous over the possibility of sex, etc.) to watch a little erotic stuff and release all that pent-up tension before going out with someone of the opposite gender. That way it's easier to be calm.

Just sayin'!

That rock band Mogwai, btw, it really does have a Scottish music sound to it!
This post reminds me of the "hair gel" scene from "There's Something About Mary".

Old 07-04-2014, 01:54 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Men complain about it, but they generally aren't dumping or rejecting women for being "needy."
Yes, actually, they do.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:59 PM

398 posts, read 471,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This post reminds me of the "hair gel" scene from "There's Something About Mary".
You win the internet. One of my top five favorite movies. Even more than 10 years later, it is still one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:08 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
There is another way of looking at this. Why should men who have never been kissed or never had sex be overlooked or viewed as being "not dating material"?

Old 07-04-2014, 02:19 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,642,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is another way of looking at this. Why should men who have never been kissed or never had sex be overlooked or viewed as being "not dating material"?
Whether it's male or female those who are successful in dating look upon those who are not and see "red flags" in that person. It makes it doubly hard for the person trying to date when they are so far behind their peers.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
Whether it's male or female those who are successful in dating look upon those who are not and see "red flags" in that person. It makes it doubly hard for the person trying to date when they are so far behind their peers.
I don't think it should be a "red flag". I've never had sex, and that is by choice. I don't believe in having extramarital sexual intercourse. It's part of my faith. And the kissing part, well, it isn't for lack of want, but I've never been in the dating scene. All of the women I've liked, none of them have liked me back. I was either too short, too thin, the wrong race, wrong other stuff, or said persons weren't into me like that. To me, never having been in a romantic relationship or never having sex isn't a red flag. Why would it be a red flag?

Old 07-04-2014, 02:48 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,914 times
Quote:
I don't think it should be a "red flag". I've never had sex, and that is by choice. I don't believe in having extramarital sexual intercourse. It's part of my faith. And the kissing part, well, it isn't for lack of want, but I've never been in the dating scene. All of the women I've liked, none of them have liked me back. I was either too short, too thin, the wrong race, wrong other stuff, or said persons weren't into me like that. To me, never having been in a romantic relationship or never having sex isn't a red flag. Why would it be a red flag?
In your case, women who share your faith would be your best bet. You're right, if this is part of your religious faith and you're simply keeping consistent with your moral and religious beliefs, then that isn't reason for a "red flag." However, obviously people who do not share your faith are less likely to be interested in you.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:05 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,642,406 times
Quote:
I'm going by multiple posts on various threads here on CD (other places too) where people have used this "red flag" terminology to explain why they would have no interest in a person with none or little dating history. Good for you that you're standing by your beliefs and doing what you know is right in your own life. I wish others would understand all the various reasons why not all people are highly experienced sexually with a long list of sexual partners.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
I'm going by multiple posts on various threads here on CD (other places too) where people have used this "red flag" terminology to explain why they would have no interest in a person with none or little dating history. Good for you that you're standing by your beliefs and doing what you know is right in your own life. I wish others would understand all the various reasons why not all people are highly experienced sexually with a long list of sexual partners.
I'm not perfect, but I do have my standards. I stand by my decision to wait until I'm married to have sexual intercourse. I always thought sex peer pressure ended once high school ended. I never saw how pervasive it was until later. I never really understood how much of a big deal it was to have sex. It didn't hit me until I was 23, 24 years old, how much of a big deal it was. It never occurred to me that it would be considered a "red flag". I thought that stuff was left behind in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology