Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2014, 03:24 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
In your case, women who share your faith would be your best bet. You're right, if this is part of your religious faith and you're simply keeping consistent with your moral and religious beliefs, then that isn't reason for a "red flag." However, obviously people who do not share your faith are less likely to be interested in you.
That would help. That said, I've even seen women who share my faith have extramarital sex. Even women who were Catholic would have sex outside of marriage. Some turned up pregnant later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 03:27 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,735,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This post reminds me of the "hair gel" scene from "There's Something About Mary".
omg yes. One of my favorite movies!!!

Old 07-04-2014, 04:22 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,642,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm not perfect, but I do have my standards. I stand by my decision to wait until I'm married to have sexual intercourse. I always thought sex peer pressure ended once high school ended. I never saw how pervasive it was until later. I never really understood how much of a big deal it was to have sex. It didn't hit me until I was 23, 24 years old, how much of a big deal it was. It never occurred to me that it would be considered a "red flag". I thought that stuff was left behind in high school.
The fact that the "red flag" mentality continues on past high school is part of why society is so messed up now days.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:37 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That would help. That said, I've even seen women who share my faith have extramarital sex. Even women who were Catholic would have sex outside of marriage. Some turned up pregnant later on.
I wish you well. You're not alone. I just saw on TV the other day, one of the guys from "Duck Dynasty" (I have never seen the show, but they were interviewing him). He decided to stay "pure" until marriage. It was a turn-off for many girls. He said two girls got out of his car as soon as he told them that he was not going to put his hands on them! But he found his wife, a keeper, because she knew that he was just the kind of guy she wanted. They are now happily married with three kids.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:37 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,268,996 times
If only women were not so damn subtle when indicating interest

Old 07-07-2014, 09:57 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
I wish you well. You're not alone. I just saw on TV the other day, one of the guys from "Duck Dynasty" (I have never seen the show, but they were interviewing him). He decided to stay "pure" until marriage. It was a turn-off for many girls. He said two girls got out of his car as soon as he told them that he was not going to put his hands on them! But he found his wife, a keeper, because she knew that he was just the kind of guy she wanted. They are now happily married with three kids.
He managed to find the right one. I still haven't found that one. At this point in my life, I'm not ready for kids or marriage, but at least having a girlfriend would be nice. I'm not ashamed of my going up to age 28 and never having sex. I have nothing to be ashamed of. I'm realizing, however, that there are so many in society who consider it odd. Growing up, I considered it odd to have sex before marriage. It was taught to me what could happen if I did have sex outside of marriage. I was also taught teenagers shouldn't have sex. It was taught to me, and I took it to heart. Partly because I couldn't conceive myself ever having sex. Another part was my faith. However, I knew kids who basically blew off that part. Some of them became teenage mothers.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:30 AM

192 posts, read 270,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
Guess those women need to discard their fantasies and expectations and meet the men "halfway" so to speak.
No. Women who can't find men who meet their (reasonable) expectations of physical and emotional companionship are better off alone.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:03 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette La Bretonne View Post
No. Women who can't find men who meet their (reasonable) expectations of physical and emotional companionship are better off alone.
Amen. Too many of us made concessions and took abuse or simply remained unloved and used because we wanted to be in a relationship so much that we overlooked the scarlet flags. There are men out there who see unlovable women coming a mile away and polish up their act. You can get children through IVF or adoption if you want them, but you're better off alone than with someone who will never really love you.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:42 PM

192 posts, read 270,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Amen. Too many of us made concessions and took abuse or simply remained unloved and used because we wanted to be in a relationship so much that we overlooked the scarlet flags. There are men out there who see unlovable women coming a mile away and polish up their act. You can get children through IVF or adoption if you want them, but you're better off alone than with someone who will never really love you.
Furthermore, most younger women have education and skills with the result that we can support ourselves. There is no longer any necessity for women to settle for living under the heel of men who are uncaring or bullies or even physically abusive.

Juliette, structural engineer

Old 07-08-2014, 02:59 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
I disagree with your above statements. Angst is only a mid-teen thing to those who have no trouble dating while still in high school. Only those of us (both male and female) who have no dates in high school or early twenties can understand what that feels like. There are many people who can go to parties, clubs and groups and still remain dateless.

You couldn't pay me to go back to my twenties. It was the "worst" time in my life.
Agreed. And 'angst' can occur at any age for a variety of reasons -- especially existential angst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology