Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2016, 11:24 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,911,132 times

Advertisements

The doors are meant to be closed on the occasions when you need them closed, like when you are washing your car or setting off flea bombs in your house. The rest of the time they should be open for easy access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Otherwise, why would cabinets have doors? they could just be open shelves.
Cabinets occasionally need to be closed, but their default is open, hence the handles. Also they are for slamming when you get mad.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
The default position for a drawer or cabinet is to be open. That's why they have handles.
I think you should strive for consistency. Therefore:

1. Leave you front and back door open.
2. Leave your car doors open - preferably all of them. Whether you're driving or in a parking lot at WalMart.
3. Leave your safe deposit box or safe open.
4. Leave the stall door in a public restroom open while you're pooping -and then explain to others who wander in that the default position of the door is open OBVIOUSLY - since it has a handle.
5. Leave your luggage open at the airport.
6. Leave the microwave door open.
7. Leave the oven door open.
8. Leave the filing cabinet and desk drawers open at work. Encourage others to do the same.

Be sure to remind yourself and others that this is the default position of things with handles.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think you should strive for consistency. Therefore:

1. Leave you front and back door open.
2. Leave your car doors open - preferably all of them. Whether you're driving or in a parking lot at WalMart.
3. Leave your safe deposit box or safe open.
4. Leave the stall door in a public restroom open while you're pooping -and then explain to others who wander in that the default position of the door is open OBVIOUSLY - since it has a handle.
5. Leave your luggage open at the airport.
6. Leave the microwave door open.
7. Leave the oven door open.
8. Leave the filing cabinet and desk drawers open at work. Encourage others to do the same.

Be sure to remind yourself and others that this is the default position of things with handles.
Like I said, there are times when they should be closed. Most times, the default is open though.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Like I said, there are times when they should be closed. Most times, the default is open though.
And you apparently really believe this.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:31 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,909,654 times
I think he's just being a contrarian for our benefit.
Otherwise he'd also be walking around with his fly open, since that's the default position.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I think he's just being a contrarian for our benefit.
Otherwise he'd also be walking around with his fly open, since that's the default position.
Hahahahha!

You don't need a handle to CLOSE something - all you have to do is push it closed. You do need a handle to OPEN many things (car doors, drawers, kitchen cabinets, filing cabinets, etc.) Therefore if something has a handle, I would think it indicates that the default position is closed. Otherwise, why have a handle?

Old 09-16-2016, 12:42 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,018,404 times
Quote:
Cabinets occasionally need to be closed, but their default is open, hence the handles. Also they are for slamming when you get mad.
yes, so much easier & quicker to slam if open to start with..
Having to open a cabinet just to slam is like calling someone just to hang up on them.
Just doesn't have the same satisfaction...

Old 09-16-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hahahahha!

You don't need a handle to CLOSE something - all you have to do is push it closed. You do need a handle to OPEN many things (car doors, drawers, kitchen cabinets, filing cabinets, etc.) Therefore if something has a handle, I would think it indicates that the default position is closed. Otherwise, why have a handle?
The handle is to open it when inconsiderate people close it or on the occasions after it was needed to be closed.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:46 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,018,404 times
Quote:
So you keep the front door to your house/apt open all the time? your car door? Those have handles.

The default is to be closed, then open when you need to get something. Otherwise, why would cabinets have doors? they could just be open shelves. The doors are to close and hide away the stuff inside.
Your eyes have eyelids..
When awake which is the default position ? Open or closed ??
Even blind people keep their eyes open..

I rest my case..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology