Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:26 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

I think movies moreso than sitcoms might have a detrimental effect. In romantic comedies everyone meets cute, and maybe there's some misunderstandings along the way, but things are always resolved by consulting your sassy best friend and maybe taking a last minute trip to the airport before your beloved flies away. Even in sex scenes, everyone's always well-lit, there are no awkward moments, weird noises, or leg cramps, and no one stops to ask about birth control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 11:37 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't think, for instance, I've seen as many gays all my life as I've seen on TV in the past decade! And I can't recall seeing even one gay couple kissing, provided I've been to San Francisco and Mykonos, but there are plenty on TV. So much for being born this way... It's promotion like everything else intended to destroy families!
I love how people think the mere presence of gays on TV is the same as promoting an agenda. Did it ever occur to you that maybe they have gays on TV because they want interesting characters? A few years back, there was a show about a female President. Was that show also pushing an agenda? Or maybe the show's creators realized that it would just be more interesting to have a female President.

Quote:
There are children in front of these TVs! There are also plenty of adults receptive to all kinds of influences.
Oh please. If you got a problem with what your kids watch, then be a responsible parent and take control of your TV. I don't have kids, but if I did, I'd be far more worried about them seeing countless ads for erectile dysfunction.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:50 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Oh please. If you got a problem with what your kids watch, then be a responsible parent and take control of your TV. I don't have kids, but if I did, I'd be far more worried about them seeing countless ads for erectile dysfunction.
After 8pm there are few shows on TV now for kids. Forget the impact of Sitcoms, shows like Criminal Minds and the CSI's are definitely for adults only.

At least most of the sitcoms are Pg13 and a lot like this forum, sexual innuendo and dysfunctional relationships. I'd speculate many of the TV writers hang out on line here just for good ideas of bad behavior.

You think that's what TVSG really stands for ? TV Screen Guild

Old 08-30-2010, 11:56 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Television and movies in general have definitely influenced how people date....and not in a good way. Many stereotypes are only stereotypes because of what people saw in a movie or something. Romantic comedies are the WORST...they are NEVER realistic so what happens is you have a lot of people expecting unrealistic things.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Ha ha No. But I was never swayed by The Simpsons. The show made me laugh out loud though. I think you are just way too conservative.
Whatever, Artsy. Even influence aside, I don't enjoy looking at 2 dudes kissing myself. It's just the way it its. Actually, the few gays I've known have been quite discreet in public, preferring not to make other people uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I love how people think the mere presence of gays on TV is the same as promoting an agenda. Did it ever occur to you that maybe they have gays on TV because they want interesting characters? A few years back, there was a show about a female President. Was that show also pushing an agenda? Or maybe the show's creators realized that it would just be more interesting to have a female President.

Not that I'm religious, but God help you and your (supposedly; I don't believe it really is) too open of a mind! Too big holes in that net; too many bugs will get in! Enjoy every single one of them, though! I can't wait to see you as a step-daddy! It's not happening for some reason, though. I wonder why... One would think there are more than enough single mommies. Could it be because you only care to gain everybody's acceptance by your seemingly wide-open net of a brain...? You're one of those people who may be all too happy to press 1587 for English. I'm a foreigner and I'm not. As a matter of fact, I wonder how anybody can stand it!

Now that Sifu’s back, he may be able to hook you up with a special single mommy – a “dancer†to boot!

Old 08-30-2010, 12:15 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
lol any type of couple can make out in public. It's a public venue. And it's not illegal. So let it be! Have a great day.

Also the discreet gay guys you know are discreet for a very good reason. They may be introverted or shy people to begin with. Or they don't want to be looked down upon by people like you. All are good reasons to be discreet. It's social conditioning.

Quote:
Whatever, Artsy. Even influence aside, I don't enjoy looking at 2 dudes kissing myself. It's just the way it its. Actually, the few gays I've known have been quite discreet in public, preferring not to make other people uncomfortable.

Not that I'm religious, but God help you and your (supposedly; I don't believe it really is) too open of a mind! Too big holes in that net; too many bugs will get in! Enjoy every single one of them, though! I can't wait to see you as a step-daddy! It's not happening for some reason, though. I wonder why... One would think there are more than enough single mommies. Could it be because you only care to gain everybody's acceptance by your seemingly wide-open net of a brain...? You're one of those people who may be all too happy to press 1587 for English. I'm a foreigner and I'm not. As a matter of fact, I wonder how anybody can stand it!

Now that Sifu’s back, he may be able to hook you up with a special single mommy – a “dancer” to boot!

Old 08-30-2010, 12:15 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
At least most of the sitcoms are Pg13 and a lot like this forum, sexual innuendo and dysfunctional relationships.
I'd have a serious problem with them had I been a man. Men are presented as morons on 95% of the shows. And women get influenced by these attitudes, of course. Nobody is immune! Even if you deliberately fight that influence, it still gets to you on some level, sooner or later!

Old 08-30-2010, 12:19 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Half of the men in our society not only appear like Peter Griffin but they also act just as immature and dumb.

Quote:
I'd have a serious problem with them had I been a man. Men are presented as morons on 95% of the shows. And women get influenced by these attitudes, of course. Nobody is immune! Even if you deliberately fight that influence, it still gets to you on some level, sooner or later!

Old 08-30-2010, 12:26 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,244 times
The last time I regularly watched any sitcoms, they were more about breaking down society's stereotypes and biases. They were quite successful at that, so anyone who thinks that they have no influence is wrong. In recent decades, they became, for the most part, quite vacuous. However, this doesn't mean that they don't have a subtle influence.

However, this is the era of the drama. The story they tell is that all successful, influential people are young, good looking and have a devil may care attitude. This is completely the opposite of reality but it's surprisingly influential in deciding who gets married, who gets hired into good entry level positions and often who gets the quick promotions after that, that can make or break a career.

Feminists are constantly asserting that their "gains" have helped all women but the evidence is that they mainly helped the good looking ones. Employers would rather hire a good looking female HS graduate than an average looking male with a good college degree. "She fits with the corporate culture and is good for morale" is their reasoning.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:29 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times
Perhaps.. I know its a generalazation but i think women are allot more impresisonable and may take things more literally with what they see on tv involving relatioships then guys

Of course theres exceptions to every rule
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships