Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2020, 10:03 AM

534 posts, read 491,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
The best female profiles don't post public, their profiles are private ,
they just peruse profiles, then send a pic later.
A couple of years ago I tried to express the wisdom of this on CD and people went crazy, they felt it was secretive or evidence of hiding something. I was floored by the response, because to me it was a no brainer. I could not, and still cannot, understand why any woman would choose have a public profile. Unless they need generic validation of their attractiveness?

My person opinion is that all woman should have private profiles, look through the male profiles, and then make themselves known to the man or men they'd like to hear from. I don't know, maybe I just have an exaggerated sense of self esteem, but if I'm doing OLD I'm there to meet a man I want, and I have zero interest in hearing from those that I would never date in this lifetime, and then have to respond to any not-gross message with a nice note of "thank you but no thank you".

Because any decent-behaving man that would take the time to reach out to me would deserve a response back, he would deserve that respect. So it's just a cruel waste of everyone's time, in my experience, to have a public profile.

I recommend to all women doing OLD who are there to meet the man they want and not just be generically validated to just try the private profile out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 04:20 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,045,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I actually think that would make sense in the case of school teachers.

They don't want to spill a bunch of personal information on a page that could be seen by anyone. In case you were not aware, high school level students absolutely lie about their ages and get onto dating sites. One of my sons did. I can only IMAGINE the hooplah if they found one of their teachers on there. Anything she said, no matter how innocuous, would be turned against her.

Ugh. High school. *shudder* There is not enough money in the world to interest me in teaching other people's children.

And any hint that an adult (male or female) who works with kids, has a sexual aspect to them at all whatsoever, and they're destroyed professionally. Honestly if I were a teacher, I would not be brave enough to use OLD at all.

Annnyhow...

I wanted also to say that one must remember when using dating sites, you are not just competing fairly in a market of profiles to engage with a pool of other profiles, you're also involved with whatever algorithms the site might be using. Possibly swimming upstream against them. I know that when I was doing OKC, granted it was ages ago, but if you did not update your profile semi-frequently with new pics, new content, and/or new answers to their million-personal-question-interrogation thing...then you'd get bumped to the bottom of the heap. People wouldn't necessarily even SEE you. And new profiles get the most "promotion" so to speak, I think.
Well, teacher or not, "Just ask" is ...just stupid.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:45 PM

8,754 posts, read 3,927,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I actually think that would make sense in the case of school teachers.

They don't want to spill a bunch of personal information on a page that could be seen by anyone. In case you were not aware, high school level students absolutely lie about their ages and get onto dating sites. One of my sons did. I can only IMAGINE the hooplah if they found one of their teachers on there. Anything she said, no matter how innocuous, would be turned against her.
That's why you get on a verifiable and/or paid site; teens (and scammers) mess around on free/hookup apps. It eliminates seventy-five percent of the garbage.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:47 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,196,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
The "bigger better deals" are few & far between tho.....& we should all be picky & never settle. Quality over quantity. Getting lots of attention from guys you aren't interested in or would never date is not fun or interesting.....it's annoying & even scary sometimes.....so most of us take precautions when you hear about the stuff that goes on.

Fun is getting attention from a man you could really fall for & my fiance felt the same way because he used to get lots of attention online too. IMO single people with good jobs that have no children date more.......not the men living in their mom's basement or they have 3 exes & 3 kids & work part time at the gas station. It's not all about looks or unwanted attention.
True for many women to varying extents. Men are either quality or quantity? Men are God’s children too. I have known many men in my life, and just about all of them were beautiful, loving human beings. Don’t mean to sound mean,...but even the way below attractive and obese woman and even the grandmas are picky as hell. Why? Because they can be. Online dating is a giant sausage fest!!!, where women reign supreme. Are u telling me that after 5 years of being on 6 dating sites,...a highly attractive, pretty hot woman hasn’t stumbled across anyone who hasn’t peaked her interest yet? What are they doing? Are they holding out for the bigger, better deal? Yep. But it goes even beyond that. They can’t get enough of all that attention. All those messages. (Sure it’s annoying to them when a homely chap messages them, but not when Harry the hottie does!) They love it. This is like heroin. Even better. Not even God can measure up to some of these women and their giant egos. Like I said earlier. I know a guy who has no job, rents a tiny room, has no car, is on food stamps and $200 cash assistance a month...and gets his rent paid by DSHS rental assistance program. He is 39, slender, very handsome, and photogenic.. and he’s seeing three women at the same time right now, and sleeping with all of them. He met them on tinder. Why? Looks. Looks are everything to women. The other stuff matters, but very minutely. I don’t think society was always been this way. Sure the heck is nowadays though. At least in my opinion. Good looking, handsome men? Sure they will have success a lot. But below a 6? Good luck Tommy, Johnny and Harry. You’ll need it in regard to online dating. That’s why tinder, bumble. ok Cupid, are all swipe left or right!! Looks rule!! I understand there has to be a physical attraction. Lots of single women are super shallow. Can’t sugarcoat it. Nuff said.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 04-14-2020 at 11:12 PM..

Old 04-15-2020, 03:39 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,045,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
True for many women to varying extents. Men are either quality or quantity? Men are God’s children too. I have known many men in my life, and just about all of them were beautiful, loving human beings. Don’t mean to sound mean,...but even the way below attractive and obese woman and even the grandmas are picky as hell. Why? Because they can be. Online dating is a giant sausage fest!!!, where women reign supreme. Are u telling me that after 5 years of being on 6 dating sites,...a highly attractive, pretty hot woman hasn’t stumbled across anyone who hasn’t peaked her interest yet? What are they doing? Are they holding out for the bigger, better deal? Yep. But it goes even beyond that. They can’t get enough of all that attention. All those messages. (Sure it’s annoying to them when a homely chap messages them, but not when Harry the hottie does!) They love it. This is like heroin. Even better. Not even God can measure up to some of these women and their giant egos. Like I said earlier. I know a guy who has no job, rents a tiny room, has no car, is on food stamps and $200 cash assistance a month...and gets his rent paid by DSHS rental assistance program. He is 39, slender, very handsome, and photogenic.. and he’s seeing three women at the same time right now, and sleeping with all of them. He met them on tinder. Why? Looks. Looks are everything to women. The other stuff matters, but very minutely. I don’t think society was always been this way. Sure the heck is nowadays though. At least in my opinion. Good looking, handsome men? Sure they will have success a lot. But below a 6? Good luck Tommy, Johnny and Harry. You’ll need it in regard to online dating. That’s why tinder, bumble. ok Cupid, are all swipe left or right!! Looks rule!! I understand there has to be a physical attraction. Lots of single women are super shallow. Can’t sugarcoat it. Nuff said.
The bolded...yep. There's this one that I recall that has never left the site. She's over 50, very attractive due to her nationality (Some ethnicities age well) and it's a wonder why she's never left the site. She has attention seeking "Look at me, and how hot I am!" photos of herself, with the typical "inspriational" captions.

Her dating profile looks more like a social media profile if anything.

I know a woman that said she's been on POF for about 2 years, and has tons of UNREAD emails sitting in her inbox. So that confirms that she's not taking it seriously either. She said she's actually only met TWO men after that time of being on the site. Very strange.

Quote:
but even the way below attractive and obese woman and even the grandmas are picky as hell.
Yep, some guys are just in it for the action, regardless of what she looks like.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:43 AM

4,382 posts, read 2,290,409 times
Quote:
This looks like "black and white" thinking. Its your opinion, and you are free to express your opinion of course. But there are some cognitive distortions there.

OLD can be shallow and looks based, yes. Especially tinder and such. So if you are using that to draw conclusions about how people are, well, the generalizations are going to be biased. Not a true reflection of reality.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:47 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,610,520 times
Quote:
Good luck Tommy, Johnny and Harry. You’ll need it in regard to online dating. That’s why tinder, bumble. ok Cupid, are all swipe left or right!! =

You are confusing online dating with apps that are known for sexual connections tho....it's not the same & types of people are different on each. There are apps for older people, dating for committed relationships, gays, sugar babies, or people just looking for sex from any group.

The O.P. asked about online dating for guys & IMO they don't need to have good luck. They need to be sincere & respectful of women.....have a good job & not live in their mom's basement....& on the right app for dating.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:46 PM

8,754 posts, read 3,927,658 times
Quote:
There are a variety of people everywhere (all with various personalities/looks/goals). As with any dating, the goal is to find those who are potentially compatible with you (rather than go off on a convoluted diatribe about those who are not) while maintaining a sense of humor about love, life and the internet. It doesn't need to be sugarcoated; just be honest with yourself (and others) in re: what you're looking for and smart enough to assess when it has the potential to be right for you (or not).

Old 04-15-2020, 08:02 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,196,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
The bolded...yep. There's this one that I recall that has never left the site. She's over 50, very attractive due to her nationality (Some ethnicities age well) and it's a wonder why she's never left the site. She has attention seeking "Look at me, and how hot I am!" photos of herself, with the typical "inspriational" captions.

Her dating profile looks more like a social media profile if anything.

I know a woman that said she's been on POF for about 2 years, and has tons of UNREAD emails sitting in her inbox. So that confirms that she's not taking it seriously either. She said she's actually only met TWO men after that time of being on the site. Very strange.

Yep, some guys are just in it for the action, regardless of what she looks like.
Yea. We can squabble all day long. I have seen dozens of women on the same dating sites for years. They are very attractive. Its just attention mongering. That’s all. I am sure that a lot of the men that have messaged her, we’re likely great guys, with decent looks, and were nice people. Funny how people think that a dating site like POF is any different then an app like Tinder, or Bumble. Matter of fact...There are tons of women on tinder and on Bumble who are extremely hot and good looking..light years more attractive then 90 percent of the women on a dating site like POF or OkCupid. And Just about everyone I saw was a pretty high-end professional. Tinder has tons of hot, high end women who I highly doubt are there for hookups. Yet Tinder is where my broke and busted acquaintance on welfare,...meets all his women. He’s seeing 3 at the same time. One is a nurse making big bucks. She didn’t care about his income, job, no car, career, money, or the fact that he’s a broke and busted dude with zero income except for his welfare assistance. And rents a tiny room in a boarding house. His other girlfriend retired from one career after 20 years. And owns her own home and now has a second career. So this is proof that looks override financial stability, career, and worldy success and status...most of the time if the guy is very slender and handsome like my acquaintance is. But...if you are just an average to below average looking guy...if someone does give them a chance...question number one will be: “So Johnny, what do you do for a living?”. If Johnny is just a laborer or has a lowly position, and not a fireman or a lawyer or something. ...Suzy is most likely going to kick Johnny’s butt to the curb, and discard him into the trash can. But if Johnny was a hot male model looking stud....Suzy would not give two hoots about what he did for a living. It’s all pretty clear actually.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 04-15-2020 at 08:18 PM..

Old 04-15-2020, 08:42 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,067,254 times
Jesus, being nice and decent looking is no where close to enough. It really sounds like you haven't really dated when you go on like that.

You also seem.unaware that both tinder and bumble have massive numbers of fake profiles to keep guys swiping (not that hard to figure that out) and all dating sites have tons of profiles no longer in use. I see profiles of people i know haven't been dating for years and even some dead.people on them.

Your bittnerness only harms yourself. That makes someone undateable fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships