Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 11:48 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
12. A very wide variety of cuisine. The whole gamut of South East asian food, but also Italian, Swiss, German, French and American.

14. Love traveling, mostly so I can do 12 and 13 in different countries, haha.

19. Earn a masters in History, perhaps pursue a career related to academic history, or military history.
12 & 14 - me, too! And when I travel - I write down every place we went to and every meal that we had!

Do you like Ethiopian food? That's one of my favorites!

19 - My husband got his BA in history - now he runs sound on Broadway! Haha! His loves military history, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 11:52 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
12 & 14 - me, too! And when I travel - I write down every place we went to and every meal that we had!

Do you like Ethiopian food? That's one of my favorites!

19 - My husband got his BA in history - now he runs sound on Broadway! Haha! His loves military history, too.
Never actually tried Ethiopian food, what is it like? I would like to try it, I've tried all sorts of things. I like Northern Indian cuisine, is it kind of similar?

How did your husband end up on sound? Haha, I guess in life we never can predict how it goes, even though Asian parents will try to plot it out for you.

"And on this day, you will be earning your neurosurgery degree and settling down with a nice Chinese girl the next week..."

Old 10-05-2012, 07:17 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Never actually tried Ethiopian food, what is it like? I would like to try it, I've tried all sorts of things. I like Northern Indian cuisine, is it kind of similar?

How did your husband end up on sound? Haha, I guess in life we never can predict how it goes, even though Asian parents will try to plot it out for you.

"And on this day, you will be earning your neurosurgery degree and settling down with a nice Chinese girl the next week..."
Hmm... I always describe Ethiopian food like Indian food but mushy instead of saucy. I just love it!

My husband used to book the bands that came onto his campus in college - and one time he got so fed up with the sound person that he just figured out how to do it himself. Then he started working for the sound company that supplied the equipment, then he started to do sound for a local theatre, and then he took off from there! He doesn't use his BA at all!

Luckily, my Japanese mother didn't plot out my career. I don't think she ever would have picked a career in musical theatre - and that's where I ended up! Both my parents were always really supportive of me. Like I said - I'm lucky!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:20 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Why on earth would anyone think that Ethiopian food would be like North Indian food?

What?

Old 10-05-2012, 07:34 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Hmm... I always describe Ethiopian food like Indian food but mushy instead of saucy. I just love it!

My husband used to book the bands that came onto his campus in college - and one time he got so fed up with the sound person that he just figured out how to do it himself. Then he started working for the sound company that supplied the equipment, then he started to do sound for a local theatre, and then he took off from there! He doesn't use his BA at all!

Luckily, my Japanese mother didn't plot out my career. I don't think she ever would have picked a career in musical theatre - and that's where I ended up! Both my parents were always really supportive of me. Like I said - I'm lucky!
I have done community theater stuff in the past. From techinical to some smaller roles on stage. Also done the sound thing off and on for the last 17 years or so.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:29 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:

I haven't been to a good ethiopian place in SF yet. Head over to Oakland, there are like 4 million good choices. Try Asmara so you can go to the Scream Sorbet shop when you finish.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why on earth would anyone think that Ethiopian food would be like North Indian food?

What?
The spices are very very similar. Execution is different, but there are similar tastes due to the spice cross over. And the sort of richness you get from the clarified butter/yogurt is mirrored in conventional ethiopian since they use butter too. But a lot of california places use olive oil to you know keep the vegans happy.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,027,817 times
I've never tried Ethiopian food but it's on my list of foods to try. I love trying new foods!

Old 10-05-2012, 12:37 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The spices are very very similar. Execution is different, but there are similar tastes due to the spice cross over. And the sort of richness you get from the clarified butter/yogurt is mirrored in conventional ethiopian since they use butter too. But a lot of california places use olive oil to you know keep the vegans happy.
If you look at common ingredients (tomato, serano, coriander, onion, etc), one would wonder why no one compares Mexican food to Indian food.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you look at common ingredients (tomato, serano, coriander, onion, etc), one would wonder why no one compares Mexican food to Indian food.
Oh I think those are similar too! There is a lot of crossover there too. My friend and I were joking that we should start and indian/mexican fusion restaurant (he's Indian). There is a lot more cross over. Salsa verde is basically the same as the mint chutney. Or how about how beans are used? And tortillas vs chapatis? Pretty much the same. Even the seafood treatment in Goa vs De la Paz is super similar.

We have a food truck that makes "indian burritos" chicken tika, channa dal, mint chutney and rice in a tortilla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships