Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Go up to some really hot chicks and ask them "do you have a friend who's not as attractive as you are who seems to get asked out more by men than you do" and see what they say.
You are saying the vast majority of women think they are god's gift, because, in case you didn't know, the vast majority of women are average looking. What you're really saying is that you are an unthinking bigot. Bravo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 06:14 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
good points. serveral things going on.
self esteem
quip pro quo vs caveat emptor

self esteem determined in childhood is permanent
affects how we see ourselves. nothing to do with reality.
quip pro quo ---something for something
caveat emptor - let the buyer beware (something for nothing is ok)
people on the meat market dont play fair
something for nothing is the rule

Old 11-16-2012, 06:18 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,203,652 times
Quote:
Great points BP. I just thought that women know more on the scale because women's beauty is very important to them while men's looks arent nearly as important to them. Men arent standing in front of the mirror primping themselves nearly as much as women are.

But you do make some valid points.
But that's my point, the average man in this scenario has never had ANY type of success with the woman society would consider hot. He's always been turned down by them, never approached, and never came close to sleeping with. So it's easier for him to "come to grips with reality" after a certain age, then the average woman who has been approached by men society would consider desirable, and slept with them. That's the difference.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:20 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,712,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You are saying the vast majority of women think they are god's gift, because, in case you didn't know, the vast majority of women are average looking. What you're really saying is that you are an unthinking bigot. Bravo.
Just being realistic about things. Don't take it personally. Its just my opinion. No need for name calling because we have differing opinions.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Just being realistic about things. Don't take it personally. Its just my opinion. No need for name calling because we have differing opinions.
That's the number one problem with not only this board but the Internet in general. People just can't handle different opinions, but especially here on a relationship forum. All this is people telling their different perspectives and experiences in regards to dating and relationships. This isn't science, there is no right or wrong, just opinions and people can't handle that.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
It's not name calling. If you judge millions based on a physical characteristic it's called bigotry.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
But that's my point, the average man in this scenario has never had ANY type of success with the woman society would consider hot. He's always been turned down by them, never approached, and never came close to sleeping with. So it's easier for him to "come to grips with reality" after a certain age, then the average woman who has been approached by men society would consider desirable, and slept with them. That's the difference.
I get what you're saying, but here's the thing.....men dont get turned down because of their looks as much as women do. If you're a woman who's a 3 on the perverbial 1 to 10 scale, you're not going to get asked out hardly at all. You know where you stand. But, the man who is a 3 in real life can hypothetically land a chick because he's wearing a really nice suit and driving a very nice car...so that guy might thing he's 'average' and not actually ugly.

There are plenty of men who are 5's who have 'game' that can pull hot chicks before the guy who's the 7.5 who has no game at all. So, the guy who's the 5 with game may think he's a 7.5 because he's pulling a few hotties but he's pulling them on game and not on looks.

I think in the end, we both have valid points and it comes down to the idea that there's very little seperating men and women as far as where they think they stand on the looks scale. Looks matter a lot to women so my theory is that by definition, they know more about it and are more in tuned to it. That's all i was saying.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
It's not name calling. If you judge millions based on a physical characteristic it's called bigotry.
Im not judging anyone. Im just calling it as i see it. I feel that average looking women get asked out as much or more than extremely hot women just based on the idea that they appear more attainable. Men actually do think to themselves 'this girl is ridiculous hot, no way i can land her' and quite often, wont even try. Men do believe that they can 'get' the girl next door before they can 'get' the supermodel. Im not sure i need to be 'railed on' for having an opinion that's pretty much a mainstream theory.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Im not judging anyone. Im just calling it as i see it. I feel that average looking women get asked out as much or more than extremely hot women just based on the idea that they appear more attainable. Men actually do think to themselves 'this girl is ridiculous hot, no way i can land her' and quite often, wont even try. Men do believe that they can 'get' the girl next door before they can 'get' the supermodel. Im not sure i need to be 'railed on' for having an opinion that's pretty much a mainstream theory.
Again, judging millions based on your personal experience whether it's gender, race, or any physical characteristic is bigotry. If I'm wrong on that; if my understanding of the word is wrong, if I need a vocabulary lesson, feel free to make the case.

Further, if you look qt my previous posts in this thread you will find links to studies that actually show that average to unattractive men are more likely to over estimate their looks and chances with hot women.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
You put the "more" in there and it's just not the case. It's also irrelevant prattle. And when considering women comparatively, which is where I think this conversation began IIRC, then you're very wrong.
My point exactly. There was nothing in those studies that disproved anything I said.

So again I'm not wrong, but carry on.

Last edited by BradPiff; 11-16-2012 at 07:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships