Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2015, 07:50 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,212,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
You can't even contract AIDS from kissing.....
If they have an open cut in their mouth, it's completely possible. The chances are low, but it's possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 07:54 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
Must have SOLIDLY hit a nerve with a big percentage of the userbase here, most of which must be infested with HSV2 and are living in denial
Nope. I don't have it, to my knowledge. I probably wouldn't (if I was single) date someone who had it unless I'd already known them for a very long time and felt the risks to be worth it.

I am, however, married. And I'm done having kids. So, perhaps my POV differs slightly for this reason.

I've just read extensively about it due to the nature of my career (science/pharma) and it is indeed true that a large percentage of people have it and NEVER have outbreaks.

So, since I've never had cause to get tested (never had a reason) and I've never had an outbreak, I cannot say with absolute certainty that I don't have it. Just that I have no symptoms of it and I never have.

Which is likely true for the majority of the people acting all sanctimonious in this thread.

How many have SPECIFICALLY been tested for HSV2? It's not part of a standard STD panel, and the results of the tests can be unreliable, so the only people who typically get tested are ones with sores.

That's really all my point has been here, but way to imply that people who may disagree with you are only disagreeing because they have genital herpes.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
If they have an open cut in their mouth, it's completely possible. The chances are low, but it's possible.
The chances are about as high as getting it from shaking hands with someone who is HIV-positive.

Virtually nonexistent. Kinda like VH dude's chances of catching HSV2 from that chick he felt up.

She didn't let him do that while she had sores, I'd be willing to bet it. It's quite unlikely that he's gonna break out in the herp on his hands, but whatever.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:14 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,845 times
Quote:
AIDS Information, Education, Action, Awareness | Can I get HIV from kissing?

Can you get AIDS/HIV from kissing? - WebMD Answers

So VERY low...CDC has ONE case....

My comment was to the person who was afraid they contacted genital herpes after kissing someone....to kind of prove or reassure them you can't get it from kissing..and you can't...because AIDS is even remotely NOT THAT EASY to catch by kissing..

I stand corrected by the ONE transmission ever recorded by the CDC by people in the first article who had major gum disease..gingivitis...pyorrhea etc.... That one got by me...

Old 06-03-2015, 08:19 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,274,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Kind of makes you wonder how long these posters have had Herpes and how many people they've exposed to it without telling them.
Yup lol. I was thinking the same thing!!! I see nothing wrong with Van Halen did or with his reaction. I don't care if that makes me a pos too lol! It's not my fault that someone else has an STD and others are like myself and don't want to date them. That doesn't give them the right to not disclose this up front. And by text? I dont care how insensitive others are, you tell that kind of stuff to someone up front and in person.

Only on citydata would that woman be defended and the guy be considered the enemy solely because he wasn't interested in dating her because she had an STD. No one I personally know outside of citydata would ever willingly date someone with herpes.

I suspect that some of the people overly sensitive about it might have it themselves and be in their feelings about it. Others I guess might find it offensive because they've dated people with it and can't believe others would not.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Yup lol. I was thinking the same thing!!! I see nothing wrong with Van Halen did or with his reaction. I don't care if that makes me a pos too lol! It's not my fault that someone else has an STD and others are like myself and don't want to date them. That doesn't give them the right to not disclose this up front. And by text? I dont care how insensitive others are, you tell that kind of stuff to someone up front and in person.

Only on citydata would that woman be defended and the guy be considered the enemy solely because he wasn't interested in dating her because she had an STD. No one I personally know outside of citydata would ever willingly date someone with herpes.

I suspect that some of the people overly sensitive about it might have it themselves and be in their feelings about it. Others I guess might find it offensive because they've dated people with it and can't believe others would not.
Stay classy, girl. Stay classy.

LOL.

I don't think anyone said he should've kept dating her. Or that he shouldn't have been upset/annoyed that she didn't tell him in person.

But, him blowing up over it and expecting her to walk around wearing a scarlet H on her chest was a bit much.

The girl was RAPED at 19 years old. She contracted herpes from a RAPIST. She didn't wait until they'd had sex, and she appears to have appropriately judged that it was safer for her to tell him about this from a distance, as his response was entirely devoid of empathy. He might have really been hateful about it in person and she's likely got some issues around violent men due to the rape, so she was probably telling him the only way she felt she could safely tell him.

He absolutely was within his rights to choose not to date her, but there was really no need to be hateful.

I swear, after years of having to look at GH slides at work and being weirded out by them, here I am defending people with GH and being accused of having it because I'm not treating these people like lepers of questionable morals.

Some of y'all are a HOOT!

Old 06-03-2015, 08:31 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Nope. I don't have it, to my knowledge. I probably wouldn't (if I was single) date someone who had it unless I'd already known them for a very long time and felt the risks to be worth it.

I am, however, married. And I'm done having kids. So, perhaps my POV differs slightly for this reason.

I've just read extensively about it due to the nature of my career (science/pharma) and it is indeed true that a large percentage of people have it and NEVER have outbreaks.

So, since I've never had cause to get tested (never had a reason) and I've never had an outbreak, I cannot say with absolute certainty that I don't have it. Just that I have no symptoms of it and I never have.

Which is likely true for the majority of the people acting all sanctimonious in this thread.

How many have SPECIFICALLY been tested for HSV2? It's not part of a standard STD panel, and the results of the tests can be unreliable, so the only people who typically get tested are ones with sores.

That's really all my point has been here, but way to imply that people who may disagree with you are only disagreeing because they have genital herpes.

I can see your point and it's a good point. But I am just being honest. I know myself and I know that if I know someone has a disease I can get by having sex with them and it's a disease that will be with me the rest of my life and effect my future sex life/marriage/health/etc, I won't want to have sex with them at all. It would be a complete turn off.

I don't think anything is wrong with that person or that they are a bad person at all. I'd be respectful of how hard it would be to tell someone that sort of thing (and I would commend their honestly). It's just that I can't do it--have a sexual relationship that is. I suppose it would be different if it's a person I've known and dated for a while and they found out later they have herpes, but the question is if it's someone you just met, don't have anything invested in (and vice versa), would it be a deal breaker. Maybe it's not PC of me, but it's the truth.

1:7 people might have it and a lot of people might not know, but that also means most people don't. Chances are in my favor that I don't have it. So why willingly risk getting it?

Old 06-03-2015, 08:31 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,212,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Stay classy, girl. Stay classy.

LOL.

I don't think anyone said he should've kept dating her. Or that he shouldn't have been upset/annoyed that she didn't tell him in person.

But, him blowing up over it and expecting her to walk around wearing a scarlet H on her chest was a bit much.

The girl was RAPED at 19 years old. She contracted herpes from a RAPIST. She didn't wait until they'd had sex, and she appears to have appropriately judged that it was safer for her to tell him about this from a distance, as his response was entirely devoid of empathy. He might have really be hateful in person and she's likely got some issues around violent men due to the rape, so she was probably telling him the only way she felt she could safely tell him.

He absolutely was within his rights to choose not to date her, but there was really no need to be hateful.

I swear, after years of having to look at GH slides at work and being weirded out by them, here I am defending people with GH and being accused of having it because I'm not treating these people like lepers of questionable morals.

Some of y'all are a HOOT!
It's the typical lack of empathy and Christian-conservative self-righteous indignation that tends to pop up on this particular forum. If you were to discuss this issue with younger, more progressive-intellectual types, I'm sure the reaction would be less spiteful and more understanding of the situation as a whole.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:38 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,845 times
And then there is this bit of misinformation over in the Granny Panty thread:

"you could just have random germs blown/splashed microscopically up onto your crevice areas and never know how you got that herpes boil. "

Go back to Health Class 101....Can't believe someone actually thinks this is true....

Talk about a HOOT.....yeah....how NOT to contract it...It doesn't microscopically get blown around... if that was the case EVERYONE would get it..like a cold...

Old 06-03-2015, 08:39 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
It's the typical lack of empathy and Christian-conservative self-righteous indignation that tends to pop up on this particular forum. If you were to discuss this issue with younger, more progressive-intellectual types, I'm sure the reaction would be less spiteful and more understanding of the situation as a whole.
Bahahaha! I'm a Democrat and non-religious. I just don't think having an STD is all that cool or trendy, and I will do everything in my power not to get it. Call me crazy. *shrugs*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships